[SOLVED] It’s possible to get worst performance after stable GPU and CPU Overclock?

Fcc

Reputable
Feb 16, 2019
Recently i tried some overclocks for my ryzen 2600 i was able to get it to 3.7ghz with 1.075volts(stock cooler) ran some benchmarks and street tests and it was very stable, then i went for my GPU Gigabyte GTX 1650 super Dual Fan i was able to get 7000mhz (from 6000mhz base) and on memory clock 2080mhz (from base core clock 1920 on my gigabyte variant) and under volt it to 1.0 mV from (1050 base) also ran ton of bechmarks and everything was stable.

Decided to overclock GPU and CPU because i’m starting to streaming warzone, but i’m just getting 50-70 fps, i do realize my pc isn’t high end, but at
least with those OC i should get more performance.

(Streaming using 720p 60fps, Nvenc New, CBR, keyframe 2, 4000bitrate, preset max quality, high profile, both look ahead and phycho visual tuning checked, gpu 0, max b frame 2, lanczos, stream looking very good and nice, just getting this non acceptable 50-65fps on warzone)

Can my OC’s lead to worst performance? should i just leave everything at stock = CPU 3.4ghz 1.14v and GPU 1920mhz and 6000mhz memory?

PD:

Motherboard B450m gaming plus (latest bios updated)

Teamgroup Tforce Delta RGB 16gb 2x8 3200mhz.

Seasonic S12III 650w bronze

250gb Pny SSD (programs)

1TB seagate barracuda for games (warzone)

HP 1080p 23 inch 60hz monitor.

Solution
When overclocking a Ryzen, it enhances multi-core performance, the whole pc is set to use a lower than stock vcore/vid etc. But Ryzen are not Intel, Ryzens are a dynamic cpu and as a result, single core performance which will generally require a higher voltage for boosts, suffers.

If you run a single core heavy game, performance suffers, fps goes down. You'll see this especially if you run Cinebench, at stock or pbo settings with single core, you get a higher number, lower multi, but oc'd you get higher multi and lower single.

Might fix that by removing the 200MHz offset and setting it to 0MHz in the advanced OC settings.

I run Clock Tuner 2 (lower OC, not max) and Dram Calculator (only on subtimings) on my 3700x and it's brought...
Recently i tried some overclocks for my ryzen 2600 i was able to get it to 3.7ghz with 1.075volts(stock cooler) ran some benchmarks and street tests and it was very stable, then i went for my GPU Gigabyte GTX 1650 super Dual Fan i was able to get 7000mhz (from 6000mhz base) and on memory clock 2080mhz (from base core clock 1920 on my gigabyte variant) and under volt it to 1.0 mV from (1050 base) also ran ton of bechmarks and everything was stable.

Decided to overclock GPU and CPU because i’m starting to streaming warzone, but i’m just getting 50-70 fps, i do realize my pc isn’t high end, but at
least with those OC i should get more performance.

(Streaming using 720p 60fps, Nvenc New, CBR, keyframe 2, 4000bitrate, preset max quality, high profile, both look ahead and phycho visual tuning checked, gpu 0, max b frame 2, lanczos, stream looking very good and nice, just getting this non acceptable 50-65fps on warzone)

Can my OC’s lead to worst performance? should i just leave everything at stock = CPU 3.4ghz 1.14v and GPU 1920mhz and 6000mhz memory?

PD:

Motherboard B450m gaming plus (latest bios updated)

Teamgroup Tforce Delta RGB 16gb 2x8 3200mhz.

Seasonic S12III 650w bronze

250gb Pny SSD (programs)

1TB seagate barracuda for games (warzone)

HP 1080p 23 inch 60hz monitor.
Some reasons it's possible to get worse performance after OC.
High temperatures under load, (CPU and/or GPU)
Lack of power delivered by PSU or MB (VRM section).
For that particular CPU, 3.7GHz is not exceptional OC as it should be able to do that without OC on all cores except one that should be able to hit 3.9GH if everything is left on auto with boost enabled. That way single core performance is higher.
Real OC with it's benefits would be at 3.9GHz to 4GHz+ which you can try. Don't worry about voltage, 2nd gen Ryzen is good for 1.4v + if you can cool it.
Another important aspect for Ryzen is memory speed, are you sure yours runs at 3200MHz with reasonable latency.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
When overclocking a Ryzen, it enhances multi-core performance, the whole pc is set to use a lower than stock vcore/vid etc. But Ryzen are not Intel, Ryzens are a dynamic cpu and as a result, single core performance which will generally require a higher voltage for boosts, suffers.

If you run a single core heavy game, performance suffers, fps goes down. You'll see this especially if you run Cinebench, at stock or pbo settings with single core, you get a higher number, lower multi, but oc'd you get higher multi and lower single.

Might fix that by removing the 200MHz offset and setting it to 0MHz in the advanced OC settings.

I run Clock Tuner 2 (lower OC, not max) and Dram Calculator (only on subtimings) on my 3700x and it's brought multi from 3723 to 5000 and bumped up single by almost 100 points while lowering temps almost 20°C from stock. 41.8 multiplier. A full OC to 4.4GHz gets me lower single than stock, raises multi to 5101 but temps are closer to stock values at 84°C.

I can live with an almost as fast pc (multi) at much better temps, better single and better overall performance.

Ryzens work best when left to work as Ryzens do, not forced to a static level.

Last edited:
Solution
You also have to understand that bumping the CPU speed from its base 3.4 GHz to 3.7GHz is a <10% improvement in clock speed. Similarly the GPU's clock speed bump is <10%. That doesn't immediately translate to the equivalent performance and it may just not do anything at all outside of benchmarks. To put this in perspective, if you were getting 70FPS before, at best you can expect is maybe 75FPS. But since clock speed bumps don't automagically mean 1:1 performance bumps, it may just be 72-73 FPS and now we're just in a margin of error.

Also GPUs may allow you to overclock their memory, but there's a point where it's not going to work because errors start to accumulate. AFAIK, modern GPUs are starting to be smart about memory errors and works around them, with the effect that performance starts to suffer. So even though you think a 1GHz boost is nice, it may not actually be any different than if you didn't overclock at all.

Reactions: CountMike

Fcc

Reputable
Feb 16, 2019
Some reasons it's possible to get worse performance after OC.
High temperatures under load, (CPU and/or GPU)
Lack of power delivered by PSU or MB (VRM section).
For that particular CPU, 3.7GHz is not exceptional OC as it should be able to do that without OC on all cores except one that should be able to hit 3.9GH if everything is left on auto with boost enabled. That way single core performance is higher.
Real OC with it's benefits would be at 3.9GHz to 4GHz+ which you can try. Don't worry about voltage, 2nd gen Ryzen is good for 1.4v + if you can cool it.
Another important aspect for Ryzen is memory speed, are you sure yours runs at 3200MHz with reasonable latency.
i was not able to go over 3.7ghz, when tried 3.8 cpu temps were going to 90degrees when stress testing, also yes my ram is running at 3200mhz with xmp profile enabled with its recommended latency.

Fcc

Reputable
Feb 16, 2019

I run Clock Tuner 2 (lower OC, not max) and Dram Calculator (only on subtimings) on my 3700x and it's brought multi from 3723 to 5000 and bumped up single by almost 100 points while lowering temps almost 20°C from stock. 41.8 multiplier. A full OC to 4.4GHz gets me lower single than stock, raises multi to 5101 but temps are closer to stock values at 84°C.

I can live with an almost as fast pc (multi) at much better temps, better single and better overall performance.

Ryzens work best when left to work as Ryzens do, not forced to a static level.
so its better for men leave ryzen at stock until i get a aftermarket good cooler and go for a 4+ghz overclock?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Good cooler yes, that's always a bonus, it doesn't have to be huge, just effective, you aren't pushing a ton of wattage with a Ryzen, so a mid grade cooler is plenty, like an Arctic esports Duo.

As far as OC goes, that's personal. Me personally, my Ryzen isn't really overclocked, not in the traditional sense, although I could easily. It still behaves exactly like stock, still downclocks when not loaded etc but it's performance is boosted by streamlining the process. It's like a finely tuned athlete who can walk to the mailbox, or run at top speed, as needed, doesnt have to run flat out at all times.

I get 5000 in Cinebench R20. Just watched a video of Hardware Unboxed who did an OC comparison with a 11600k. His best OC and CB20 score for his 3700x was 4887. My Ryzen, acting and boosting like a Ryzen and not at a locked core OC got over 100 points better, and his pc would be running closer to 80+°C. Mine barely hits 60°C.

So OC if you feel like you want to, but it's a Ryzen, so there are alternatives that are every bit as good. If not overall better.

With a Ryzen and a good cooler you'll be hitting max boost clocks on multiple cores anyways, it's only full core use that might show a benefit, if you can keep the temps and vcore down as boosts are subject to both.

Reactions: CountMike