Specs:
Mobo: ASUS B450-f gaming
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
RAM: 16gb Corsair LPX vengeance
GPU: Gtx 1660ti
PSU: Corsair Rm650x
SSD: 500g Samsung 860 evo

(Problem)
Hello Everyone! For the past month or so I’ve been struggling with my recently built computer, while I’m gaming or just watching videos my computer will freeze and then crash to desktop or bluescreen, I’ve been trying to reinstall windows on it but it keeps blue screening after I log into my Microsoft account, and even if I get past that it will just end up freezing and bluescreening later in the installation process. I’ve replaced the GPU, PSU, and the RAM. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
hardware or software, which is at fault. lets find out.
if you can coax stability long enough,
Boot to a USB drive with linux on it. grab a USB drive, a copy of rufus and a linux distribution.
http://distrowatch.com/ has tons of differing linux distributions and download links. I personally am fond of linux mint with cinnamon.
https://rufus.ie/ the utility used to extract the ISO file to the USB drive.

use rufus to extract the selected ISO to the thumb drive. it will make the drive bootable and you can run linux from the drive once done.
Reboot into linux and proceed to test the hardware. connect to internet, watch videos, await problems.
if linux is good and stable the issue is most likely inside windows or otherwise software related.
this is a test of the hardware.

if the system runs like a swiss watch under linux your issue is software based. something in windows, drivers, settings something is mucking the gears.

when you say re-install do you mean reset from within windows or do you mean download a fresh ISO, format the hard drive and install from USB?

Ralston18

Titan
Start by opening the case and doublechecking that all card seatings, cables, RAM etc. are fully and firmly in place.

Ensure that there are not any crimped, kinked, or squashed cables. Gently tighten all connections and screws so nothing is loose. Look for possible electrical shorts.

Check Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings that correspond with the freezes and crashes.

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Determine if some bottleneck develops leading to the freeze/crash.

Oct 26, 2019
hardware or software, which is at fault. lets find out.
if you can coax stability long enough,
Boot to a USB drive with linux on it. grab a USB drive, a copy of rufus and a linux distribution.
http://distrowatch.com/ has tons of differing linux distributions and download links. I personally am fond of linux mint with cinnamon.
https://rufus.ie/ the utility used to extract the ISO file to the USB drive.

use rufus to extract the selected ISO to the thumb drive. it will make the drive bootable and you can run linux from the drive once done.
Reboot into linux and proceed to test the hardware. connect to internet, watch videos, await problems.
if linux is good and stable the issue is most likely inside windows or otherwise software related.
this is a test of the hardware.

if the system runs like a swiss watch under linux your issue is software based. something in windows, drivers, settings something is mucking the gears.

when you say re-install do you mean reset from within windows or do you mean download a fresh ISO, format the hard drive and install from USB?
So it looks like Linux runs just fine, so how am I gonna get windows to work on this?

Oct 26, 2019
Start by opening the case and doublechecking that all card seatings, cables, RAM etc. are fully and firmly in place.

Ensure that there are not any crimped, kinked, or squashed cables. Gently tighten all connections and screws so nothing is loose. Look for possible electrical shorts.

Check Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings that correspond with the freezes and crashes.

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Determine if some bottleneck develops leading to the freeze/crash.
I made sure everything was connected, I can’t really get into windows and check everything else at the moment though.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
I would use linux to download and prepare a new windows installer USB.
freshly downloaded .iso freshly formatted USB. you can use linux to write the iso to the USB. if you are sure that you do not need any data on the drive (if so now is the time to back it up- application-whatever- there be dragons ahead) you can use linux to remove the partitions on the windows drive.
there will be a similar app in mint
do not format the drive, just remove the partitions.
at this point you can reboot to the newly prepared windows USB installer drive and try the install with a more trusted set of tools.

FYI - the linux drive should have memtest86 installed as a boot option. you can select that and let it run for 5 passes through the memory for a thorough check of the memory systems. this will take some time - over nite maybe. any errors or reboots before 5 passes and you have a RAM issue.

Oct 26, 2019
I would use linux to download and prepare a new windows installer USB.
freshly downloaded .iso freshly formatted USB. you can use linux to write the iso to the USB. if you are sure that you do not need any data on the drive (if so now is the time to back it up- application-whatever- there be dragons ahead) you can use linux to remove the partitions on the windows drive.
there will be a similar app in mint
do not format the drive, just remove the partitions.
at this point you can reboot to the newly prepared windows USB installer drive and try the install with a more trusted set of tools.

FYI - the linux drive should have memtest86 installed as a boot option. you can select that and let it run for 5 passes through the memory for a thorough check of the memory systems. this will take some time - over nite maybe. any errors or reboots before 5 passes and you have a RAM issue.
Ok so what I did is secure erased the ssd and am using another computer to make the installation media, should that work?