It Was A Record Year for Steam, Claims Valve

Status
Not open for further replies.

intel4eva

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
I don't know about Steam, but I more than doubled my gaming purchases this year. And yea, almost all of it was from Steam, when shit's on sale. Nobody can afford to be a hardcore gamer if they pay 60 bucks for every game. If you play more than a few titles a month (and many are really sweet, but short, like Bastion) the cost of software can eclipse the cost of maintaining a rig.

G

Gotta love the sales, though I haven't gotten through even a 1/3 of the games I purchased, ha.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]intel4eva[/nom] Nobody can afford to be a hardcore gamer if they pay 60 bucks for every game.[/citation]

$60? You have it easy..

Try $89 for a new release here, most stores sell at that price for about a month or two.
That is the only reason I switched to PC gaming and holy cr*p it was a fantastic choice!

Better graphics, better prices.. Better experience.
My 360 is now a DVD player in the lounge..

G

Oh look, another person whining about what games cost in their country. We've heard it a billion times before, we get it already. Shut the hell up.

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
It might be bad economics for steam in the long run. They are building a brand expectation that almost every game will hit the $10 price point that they stock, and the long term is that more people (myself being my main example) now plan to wait out purchases until they hit the systemic lows 3 - 4 years after release. I got Neverwinter Nights 2 for $5 over the sale, for example, after having bought the first one back in 2003.

I mean, there is a natural trend of the cost of games towards $0 since the cost of reproduction is so low (thus the rampant piracy) and it seems Steam has proven that exponentially more people buy games at half the retail price outright.

I think if they just launched games at $30 rather than $60 on Steam, they would have significantly more profits just because a lot of people that pirate new releases due to the insane $60 price point would buy the $30 one, along with a lot of people like myself who wait on the blockbusters to go on sale. For example, Witcher 2. I'm waiting for it to go below $10 (also, waiting on my new gaming rig this summer) because I know it will eventually go that low. If it launched at $30, I might have bought it back in March.

CKKwan

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
I buy original Xbox 360 title here, cost > USD80 for new games, and buying from eBay always falls into the Region lock trap (this holidays alone 4 out of 5 titles can't play because of region lock). XBox title can't even label the region lock clearly. :(

I have no choice buy to play pirated. Until steam!

przemoli

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
I think its not "PC Gaming" comeback!

Its just that more and more ppl get access to NET connections that allow for using Steam + good prices for older games + easy of distribution (if you can coup with english).

And do not forget MacOSX support. It should add a bit (especially to download stats) since now ppl can get games on their Mac's.

I wish Valve provided some stats how well/bad MacOSX sales are going (and if they plan to expand more - or if they plan to work with Apple on bringing MacOSX gfx up to date).

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
reply to zanny

yep id say of all the games ho gets out a year id get 1 for the 60dollar prise or like its in sweden 80-85dollar my price range is 30dollar max for a game. this year i got bf3.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Who in the hell would buy Skyrim on Steam?

No cool map, no box art, no disc, and lots of waiting ... no thanks!

I went in Best Buy last night and was saddened by the TINY section of PC games left. I personally don't like where this is headed.

Trueno07

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
[citation][nom]beardguy[/nom]Who in the hell would buy Skyrim on Steam?No cool map, no box art, no disc, and lots of waiting ... no thanks!I went in Best Buy last night and was saddened by the TINY section of PC games left. I personally don't like where this is headed.[/citation]

Steam is Skyrim's DRM, even if you buy the physical edition it requires a steam activation, despite it actually installing the game from the cd. It's nice really, because then I get both!

[citation][nom]beardguy[/nom]Who in the hell would buy Skyrim on Steam?No cool map, no box art, no disc, and lots of waiting ... no thanks!I went in Best Buy last night and was saddened by the TINY section of PC games left. I personally don't like where this is headed.[/citation]

I did because in a 900sqft condo you don't really have room for very many game boxes.

As for the dwindling PC games section, thats because of the decline in sales of physical copies. Steam is just easier. You buy it, its there for good. No need to worry about you disc. Hell I wanted to play GTA III the other day and bam. Just install it and go. No looking for a disc hoping its not scratched.

Then again I do have a pretty fast connection so that helps make Steam better.

dormantreign

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
What helped steam was their great prices, easy to use interface & not being intrusive like Origin. "There was no edit button, so sorry for the double post"

Status
Not open for further replies.