[SOLVED] It was going to be so easy...

wensystem3

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
I have an ageing i7 PC and decided to make start on replacing it with another PC I got an i5 9400F which I was surprised has more cores than the old i7, though less threads

It was a bargain with Win 10 already installed. But it had a small SSD so i purchased a PNY 480Gb at the same time with the idea of cloning it over. I started putting my stuff on and got to a comfortable system.

As I have done previously I did a System image in Win 10to an external HD and then tried to boot off an external Win DVD.. it would not see the DVD drive.. went into Bios (Asus Prime H310M - R R 2.0) and looked for boot options but only got PCi options... if i select an option BIOS rather than UEFI i can boot into the DVD and run restore image but afyter seemingly copying, that didn't work when I tried to boot off the larger SSD

I re-selected UEFI back on and I dusted off my ActiveDisk program and cloned disk to disk which it said was successful. However I would not boot up into Windows but tried to repair itself...

I'm lost as t what to do... I have seen references to secure boot but don't have enough knowledge to go into that without some simple information.

As I said in the title. it was going to be soooo easy..:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Another simpler method out there?

Help!

Solution
Not this time! The proper term for the for this Asus thing is Asus Secure Boot.
I have to wonder if it's just bog-standard UEFI Secure Boot with an Asus name? If you put the system in compatibility mode, or NOT UEFI mode, it should disable that automatically. One simple way to do it is just do a CMOS reset.

All it does is, when enabled, prevents the system from booting up on software other than the trusted software installation. But when disabled it will boot on...well...anything I guess. Which is how boot virus's take over your system. Once you've completed the full UEFI clone you can re-enable it and it will work OK.

wensystem3

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
and throw away a lot of work already...

I can't believe this is the only method in this time?

I'm open to other suggestion if anyone knows why you can't boot normally into a Cd and get this thing working?

and throw away a lot of work already...

I can't believe this is the only method in this time?

I'm open to other suggestion if anyone knows why you can't boot normally into a Cd and get this thing working?
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

You can try a Repair Install. It leaves all installed apps, files and settings in place only repairing the installation. It often works...but sometimes only a fresh install will fix things when so badly futzed it won't start up. You will almost certainly need access to a USB flash drive to boot from, however. Hopefully you have that much utility at least.

wensystem3

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
Thanks

Not sure if you are referring to repairing the failed clone or the original system; the system is running fine but with a smaller SSD

I think the original issue is getting lost .. LOL

I just want to clone a working system drive with a larger drive and have it work when it is swapped over.. is this not possible because of the Asus security.

Can you not boot up into a DVD drive and use a system image anymore?.. Even if i did a reinstall the DVD access seems to be overly awkward to get running (have to swap to BIOS mode) and will it work after putting the secure mode back on.. this is required for Windows since vs 8 apparently...?

I just need someone who has been through this and succeeded. I can't be the only one in this situation.. I'd have thought upgrading to a larger boot drive would be a common thing on modern systems even now?

appreciate any pointers or even YT

What is this 'Asus security' you speak of? Is the drive encrypted?

I moved my Win10 system to a new NVME from an SSD by cloning it using Minitool Partition Wizard's cloning tool. It was smart enough to properly move the EFI partion, recovery partition and System partion and it worked. The only problem was I had to first resize the System partion so everything would fit on the NVME (going from 500GB to ultra-fast 256GB NVME).

There are other cloning tools, I think one by Macrium although I've never used it.

the beauty of cloning is the target drive either works or doesn't with the clone on it...the source drive is untouched. If it doesn't work, swap back in the source drive and regroup.

Last edited:
Reactions: wensystem3

wensystem3

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
What is this 'Asus security' you speak of? Is the drive encrypted?

I moved my Win10 system to a new NVME from an SSD by cloning it using Minitool Partition Wizard's cloning tool. It was smart enough to properly move the EFI partion, recovery partition and System partion and it worked. The only problem was I had to first resize the System partion so everything would fit on the NVME (going from 500GB to ultra-fast 256GB NVME).

There are other cloning tools, I think one by Macrium although I've never used it.

the beauty of cloning is the target drive either works or doesn't with the clone on it...the source drive is untouched. If it doesn't work, swap back in the source drive and regroup.

Up till recently I have been doing the same.. last one was a move from internal SSD to NMVe inside a Lenovo Yoga laptop.. System image was the only thing that i could get to work as a USB NVMe caddy was/is very hard to come by.. (Plenty of M2 caddy's purporting to be NVMe) An external USB DVD player got me in..

Someone here must have come across it and cloned to a larger drive.. I just don't know enough to tinker with it... There are YT videos on disabling but that is all. I don't know the implications of it or how it affects the apparently necessary boot security

I have to wonder if it's just bog-standard UEFI Secure Boot with an Asus name? If you put the system in compatibility mode, or NOT UEFI mode, it should disable that automatically. One simple way to do it is just do a CMOS reset.

All it does is, when enabled, prevents the system from booting up on software other than the trusted software installation. But when disabled it will boot on...well...anything I guess. Which is how boot virus's take over your system. Once you've completed the full UEFI clone you can re-enable it and it will work OK.

Solution

wensystem3

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019

That's very useful

Thanks for your explanation.. I'll try it ;)

wensystem3

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
well I got the secure boot removed but my cloned drive will still not boot up without it going into attempting repair mode. I looked at the drive when connected to a usb caddy and it all look to be there and accessible.. just won't boot off it.

Even if i want to do a clean install I still can't get it to boot off a USB DVD player.. whatever happened to the BIOS menu option of first boot being a CD/DVD rom?

I could try a Bootable USB stick but it all seems to resistant to doing anything.

I might have to give this route completely at this rate... or try to restore the system image off an older PC i can get into..