It's Official: Windows 8 RTM Scheduled for August

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaephod

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
Still not going to get Windows 8. I heard that Stardock brought back the Start button and kudos to them. If there is a reason to upgrade, please let me know. As of now, I see no reason to move to Windows 8 at all.

dtemple

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
I see Windows 8 as being the OS that makes touchscreen all-in-one desktop PCs finally viable for touchscreen use. It'll also be really cool if they make touchscreen ultrabooks, and of course it'll be great for tablets.
So far there are no major killer features that make me want to upgrade any of my computers to Windows 8, but none are touchscreen. Thankfully it doesn't seem that Windows 8 is any less usable once you get beyond the start screen, with the full desktop showing.
Once Microsoft releases their next DirectX API, which I'm sure they'll make exclusive to Windows 8 (just like they made DX11 a Windows 7 exclusive, even though Vista is capable through some software tricks), that's when I'll upgrade.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Well, I think Tom's Hardware should've posted this: http://www.redmondpie.com/microsoft-explains-why-they-removed-the-start-button-in-windows-8/

I find myself only using the Start button to launch utilities (defrag, disk cleanup, etc) and making an extensive usage of shortcuts.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
[citation][nom]xaephod[/nom]Still not going to get Windows 8. I heard that Stardock brought back the Start button and kudos to them. If there is a reason to upgrade, please let me know. As of now, I see no reason to move to Windows 8 at all.[/citation]
Microsoft will most likely create a patch so that Start button is taken out even from Stardock. Remember the article that talked about how much effort they put into getting rid of the button from Windows code?

siciro

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
There's nothing wrong with win 8. People complaining about it will also complain because there are different buttons on their favorite shirt. Cant wait for it

SinisterMessiah

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
I like Windows 8 for a tablet/touchscreen, but I will be skipping it for my desktop/laptop. I've been using the preview on my laptop and have quickly found it to be obnoxious to navigate. I think that some of the metro apps are pretty damn sexy and intuitive, but using Windows 8 in a production environment would be annoying for me. I almost wish they either went all or nothing with the Metro interface, because having to switch between the desktop and Metro is a pain.

I've never skipped a Windows release before, so my feelings are pretty legitimate I think. I'm not just complaining for the sake of complaining, I'm borderline fanboy when it comes to Microsoft but I'm also reasonable and objective when the situation calls for it.

mykem

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
Been using preview release for 2 months now. Windows 7 feels old/antiquated on a touchscreen. Looking forward to final release!

magicandy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
[citation][nom]dtemple[/nom]Once Microsoft releases their next DirectX API, which I'm sure they'll make exclusive to Windows 8 (just like they made DX11 a Windows 7 exclusive, even though Vista is capable through some software tricks), that's when I'll upgrade.[/citation]

Not sure where you're getting your info but DX11 has been officially supported for Vista right from the start. The "tricks" you speak of are normal Windows Updates that require you to have Service Pack 2 installed and another Windows Update (KB971512). DX11 was never a Windows 7 exclusive like DX10 was for Vista.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Windows 8 for my PCs... no thank you.
Let the world out there first do a massive live 'beta testing' and after SP1 comes our I may think about it.

G

Windows 8 is the beginning of slow, painful death of Microsoft.

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
I am working as application support doing also little developing and scripting and I cant see myself working with metro and I really tried. Its most ugly GUI I ever saw and metro applications really suck.

I am used to have optimized desktop running in ultra high resolution with applications running together as you place them and this seems to be big issue with metro as everything seems to be running like optimized for phone and not desktop with very little options for them.

So for me its big NO for Windows 8, I am sticking with "W7". Really hope M$ realize this was step in wrong direction as were Windows ME.

xaephod

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]and MS will finally see you can't put a mobile GUI on a desktop/laptop computer[/citation]

I wish Linux could get their act together, but with their current state, it won't take much of a bite out of the PC market. The desktops are getting better, but the functionality is really poor. To install certain programs you still have to use the terminal and use SU comments. Seriously, its archaic. Come on Linux! Lets move up for the masses!

xaephod

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
Oops, meant to quote the previous post.

... it's gonna be a good year for google and apple... and may be for some linux distro too...

[citation][nom]xaephod[/nom]I wish Linux could get their act together, but with their current state, it won't take much of a bite out of the PC market. The desktops are getting better, but the functionality is really poor. To install certain programs you still have to use the terminal and use SU comments. Seriously, its archaic. Come on Linux! Lets move up for the masses![/citation]

LOL yea people have been screaming about that to linux since the 90's

[citation][nom]magicandy[/nom]Not sure where you're getting your info but DX11 has been officially supported for Vista right from the start. The "tricks" you speak of are normal Windows Updates that require you to have Service Pack 2 installed and another Windows Update (KB971512). DX11 was never a Windows 7 exclusive like DX10 was for Vista.[/citation]

You say that you needed SP2 and another update that didn't come out until well after Vista came out, perhaps years afterwards, yet you next say that Vista never needed tricks to get DX11, a completely contradictory set of statements.

[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]LOL yea people have been screaming about that to linux since the 90's[/citation]

Linux is already a viable gaming platform for those whom care to try it properly.

[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Ugl;iest UI ever. No way that is going on my desktop looks like a windows phone home screen, no thanks! Good luck with it. Another Vista.[/citation]

Considering that Vista has a higher market penetration than Linux and OSX put together (or maybe very close, but still), it was obviously not a complete failure. Besides, with SP2, most of Vista's problems are solved. Considering that the only issues with Windows 8 are with Metro, a problem that isn't even very bad when used and doesn't even need to be used much at all, I can see Windows 8 easily doing better than Vista. 8 is faster, more stable, uses less resources, and has other advantages. Vista had none of these, so it didn't do very well, but it is still a prevalent OS today.

Considering that the start menu is an easy thing to get back in Windows by using free third party programs such as Classic Shell and ViStart/ViOrb (both of which are older tried-and-true programs and not beta/alphas), Windows 8 has the potential to be far better than Windows 7 in every way except for the fact that 7 came out recently and businesses only started to switch over, so Windows 8 will likely be a more consumer used OS than 7 will end up having been by the time 8 get's replaced and 8's replacement gets replaced.

ricdiculus

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
[citation][nom]siciro[/nom]There's nothing wrong with win 8. People complaining about it will also complain because there are different buttons on their favorite shirt. Cant wait for it[/citation]

More notably, there is nothing right with it either.

[citation][nom]ricdiculus[/nom]More notably, there is nothing right with it either.[/citation]

There is plenty right with Windows 8. There really are some things wrong, but mostly just how Microsoft seems to be trying to force Metro on us. However, there are many things right with it. Lower boot time, lower WiFi connection times, slightly higher performance, significantly lower resource usage, and more. If these aren't right to you, then Windows 7's advantages over Vista right now must be worthless because these are mostly the same advantages since the drivers and such aren't so in-stable or nonexistent anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.