[SOLVED] Its safe to play with just one fan on the Gpu

xrafael95x

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2015
Hi there i got a Zotac gtx 1070 one of the fan stopped working, I know it can be damaged if I push the limits but what I did was downclocked the card and also open the case so the AC air goes inside the case, the card won't go higher than 55° Celcius, but I'm worried about the memory chips and vrm are they cooling right? its ok to use it like this until i get my fans replaces?

Solution
Most GPU fans don't even spin if the GPU isn't over 60C. If it was causing problem at 55C for a 1070 my old 1070 would have broken a long time ago since the fan was never working at that temp. 55C is a joke for a GPU and nothing will burn if only 1 fan is working instead of 2. Not at 55C. If you see 55C on the GPU temperature and normally with 2 fan working you see 53C it's not like 2C difference is gonna blow the VRM and the rest of the card. The heatsink is still doing it's job with only 1 fan. It's not like you're seeing 90C in afterburner.

Just replace the fan and it's done. Don't panic :)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ask yourself what's more important to you personally. The price of a new gpu if the current one burns out its voltage regulatory chips, or your gaming. Take your chances and roll the dice. You'll find out the answer for yourself either way. If you start getting artifacts or black screens or freezes, you are overheating, regardless of the fact the gpu chip isn't going over 55°C.

Reactions: xrafael95x

xrafael95x

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2015
Ask yourself what's more important to you personally. The price of a new gpu if the current one burns out its voltage regulatory chips, or your gaming. Take your chances and roll the dice. You'll find out the answer for yourself either way. If you start getting artifacts or black screens or freezes, you are overheating, regardless of the fact the gpu chip isn't going over 55°C.
atm i dont have any kind of problems but I'm worry about that because i cant know the vrm temps

Most GPU fans don't even spin if the GPU isn't over 60C. If it was causing problem at 55C for a 1070 my old 1070 would have broken a long time ago since the fan was never working at that temp. 55C is a joke for a GPU and nothing will burn if only 1 fan is working instead of 2. Not at 55C. If you see 55C on the GPU temperature and normally with 2 fan working you see 53C it's not like 2C difference is gonna blow the VRM and the rest of the card. The heatsink is still doing it's job with only 1 fan. It's not like you're seeing 90C in afterburner.

Last edited:
Reactions: xrafael95x
Solution

xrafael95x

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2015

forgot to say I put the fan taht is working at 50% just so it get cooler

forgot to say I put the fan taht is working at 50% just so it get cooler

If you see a difference of 5C on the GPU between 2 fan working and 1 fan working your VRM on the card won't be +60C. That's what I'm trying to say here. Your GPU can work at around or below 85C just fine. Imagine the VRM at that temperature and the GPU still work ok. Don't worry. You have a very good cooling on your GPU even with only 1 fan running. I would still buy a fan replacement of course.

xrafael95x

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2015
If you see a difference of 5C on the GPU between 2 fan working and 1 fan working your VRM on the card won't be +60C. That's what I'm trying to say here. Your GPU can work at around or below 85C just fine. Imagine the VRM at that temperature and the GPU still work ok. Don't worry. You have a very good cooling on your GPU even with only 1 fan running. I would still buy a fan replacement of course.
Oh yes for sure the fan i wil buy it no matter what but i wanted to be sure if its ok to play like that

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Nomenclature is funky. What most refer to as a gpu, is actually a graphics/video card and the gpu is the graphics processing unit, same as a cpu. The only place on video cards back then to actually see a temp sensor was inside the core of a gpu. Temp sensors relating to the vrms/vram are nowhere to be found. With just the one fan running, if it's above the gpu, you'll see regular temps, but only passive radiation is affecting the rest of the card, including the vram/VRM's etc that aren't directly next to the gpu. So everything at the output end sees nothing. You could have temps beyond 90°C on the vram, and the gpu will still read 55°C.

Conversely, if the dead fan is the one above the gpu, and the vrm/vram fan is still running good, then only the gpu area is affected, which won't affect the gpu as much as it's surrounding chips those could hit 90+ and the gpu still read 55°C.

What's read from the gpu has little bearing on the rest of the card, except under normal operations where sufficient cooling for the gpu affects all the cooling across the board.

I’ll just leave it here..
cGbtbJtYBPZzSzSuTpY9rn-1200-80.jpg

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No. You cannot. Because the picture of that Evga represents 2 fans in operation actively cooling a gpu, regardless of load. It's showing a 20+°C difference with active cooling, what I'm telling you is one fan is not working, it's substandard size compared to the heatsink/fan layout of a single fan unit is different, so it's very possible that at even 55°C on the gpu, the VRM's can be hitting 90°C+.

That picture is accurate for what it is, take away the other fan and see what temps the VRM's were. Certainly not 107°C, probably closer to melting temps of 126°C +