It's the "World's First" 7.1 Surround Sound Headset

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kileak

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
I have Razer Barracuda 5.1 headphones from way back in the day and still use them today, and anyone saying you can't tell the difference between 2 speakers and 8 and 10 speakers in such a small confined area is talking shit they know nothing of.

Try some, play games for a few weeks with real 5.1 or 7.1 headphones, not gimmicky "virtual surround" crap and you'll understand.

My old ones weren't the greatest headphones ever made quality-wise (mind you, they are like 6 years old and the first model they made) but there is a difference.

Retaliator

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
Still running the barracuda setup (Headphones + Soundcard) Love it shitloads of bass, lack of support on the driver front with new os', But still have it running today and love it.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]abottig[/nom]This thing will undoubtedly suck. Anything with a mic attached to it will have shit sound quality when compared to a pair of open phones without a mic.If you want great sound quality, stick with a pair of actual headphones. If you want surround(5.1), you'll need to also invest in a headphone amplifier with Dolby Headphopne.The BEST way to achieve this is with the Sennnheiser HD595($140, Amazon) and an Astro Mixamp($150 AstroGaming.com).The HD595 is ranked the 15th best pair of phones overall on Headfi.org, but are priced much lower than the other top phones. When attached to the Mixamp, the sound is out of this world, plus you have the option to enable 5.1 surround for all of your games. You can also use the Mixamp to hook up your new 5.1 headset to a 360 or PS3.If you really want a mic, you can buy a $10 Zalman mic that attaches directly to your phones. For ~$300 total, you get an audio solution that will rock the shit out of any "gaming headset" out there. ...Oh, and don't even get me started on the Dr. Dre "headphones"... Ugh...[/citation]

he speaks the truth.

iv gone around from headphones to headphones, looking for something good, and gone trought tons of options, from surround with more than 2 drivers, to noise canceling.

i finally settled on Sennnheiser hd 555, mainly because hd 595's cost 200$ at the time and hd555 were 100.

best decision i ever made.

just get a good pair of headphones with 2 drivers, they are better than any of the surround sound speakers i have had so far.

bebangs

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
Next, i should invent a motorcycle headset with 22.2 Surround sound!
Your brain is going to vibrate.... i think i should patent that now.

saintjimmy

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
I think I'll stick to my 6.1 1000 watt home theater surround sound system for my computer. Headphones don't even compare to my speakers when playing games on my basement home theater computer.

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
Well, there's a market for 'everything' these days! Am sure these babies will sell pretty well. I also believe that it isn't simply 'virtualized' surround and that there's a little bit more to it than that.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]x3style[/nom]You're room vibrates from a set of headphones? Must be a damn small one.[/citation]

It's on the medium-small side, but the max volume on these things is like having actual speakers.

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]the_krasno[/nom]It's on the medium-small side, but the max volume on these things is like having actual speakers.[/citation]
Sadly, you're going to deafen yourself....or seriously and irreparably damage your ears.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009

I'm not stupid, I don't use them at max when I have them actually on my ears. But after hours of sitting in a PC, a guy wants to stretch in his bed watching movies in his computer.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]mman74[/nom]Call me a simpleton but how can you get true 7.1 sound through two earmuffs?[/citation]
In the way described in the article and its diagrams. See, that's the trick with articles; You read them and look over the included pictures and diagrams. After absorbing the content you think about it and, possibly, make a comment. Or, you could just glance at the article and make a stupid comment.

G

Since all or most of the good "virtual" surround sound headsets have a dolby
labs sticker on the processing unit wich means it is more and less stupid to get these because the way the ear works to how human distinguish sounds comming from either in front of you or the back of you, is the way our ears are shaped which gives another tone in the inner ear where there is ONLY 1 EARDRUM IN EACH SIDE! and the brain does the rest.
Now.. Dolby made it possible in an extremely fantastic way possible to create sounds in a normal stereo headset so that you think it is a sound comming from the back. Now i cant remember where the demo was that i have listened to a few times but if you find it you know what i mean and ofcourse the demo only works with headphones.
The bad thing about true surround headphones are the placement of the speakers also how small the bass is (in this case i see a 40mm which is pretty good tho) and also the weight of the damn things.
Im gonna get me the Razer Chimaera 5.1 sure wont wait for these. In my opinion its a step back.

Status
Not open for further replies.