It's True. Valve Coming to Macs With Steam Games

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greenskye

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
As both a mac owner (macbook pro) and custom gaming rig owner, I'm glad for the change. My mac can't even run Wow all that well so I'm less interested in "real" games, but I wish there were more casual type stuff. I wish I could play some of the iPhone-type games on my mac. Something between a flash game and a full desktop experience game (like half-life 2) would be awesome

geminireaper

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
until you can buy a mac for under 800 that can actually play the latest games out its a moot point. I can build a pc for under 800 that can play all the latest games.....in order to get good enough hardware for mac you need to get a power mac in the 1500-2k range. no thanks.

G

This is already possible with CrossOver Games from Code Weavers. I use it on Linux, It runs great. I play TF2 and HL2DM.

G

At a time when PC gaming is (allegedly) dying in favour of consoles, this seems like an utter waste of time. No harm though.

I'm a PC (gamer).

tuannguyen

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
[citation][nom]zorky9[/nom]Different drivers.[/citation]

C'mon now. I work very closely with Nvidia and it doesn't require "millions of R&D" to develop drivers. And they are inherently different because of the OS. And since Macs already use Nvidia GPUs, there's not much more to develop except tweaking drivers that are already there.

Not only were your figures way, way out of proportion, you tried to instigate more bash mongering. Seriously now.

tuannguyen

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
[citation][nom]cheepstuff[/nom]macs have old hardware, nobody would want to program for such a small market anyway.[/citation]

You really haven't looked at the market at all have you? If you're going to stand on one side, at least try to appear smart.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
[citation][nom]tuannguyen[/nom]You really haven't looked at the market at all have you? If you're going to stand on one side, at least try to appear smart.[/citation]

You are very active in the threads today sir.

What gives?

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
I'm not a Mac user, but THIS MAKES ME HAPPY. I'm glad to see that Mac's could possibly be expanding. It's not that fact that 10 games are coming to the Mac that's a big deal, it's the fact that a developer is actually taking interest in Macs, which could be a BIG DEAL. I'm exciting now :)

tuannguyen

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]I will not buy Steam games any more until they withdraw Steam support from Macs. Valve is ruining the institution of PC gaming by having their games on Macs.[/citation]

"Ruining the institution of PC Gaming" ???

So basically fans of Final Fantasy 13 for the PS3 should revolt against Square Enix for producing a Xbox 360 version? That's the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

This move is good for BOTH PC gamers and Mac gamers because quite simply, the more gamers there are, the more demand there is for better quality games. Are you also forgetting the fact that a lot of publishers are favoring developing for consoles and less for desktop computers? Valve's moves ENCOURAGES developers to increase development for the computer.

Maybe we should run a "SCOTD" or Stupid Comment of the Day.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]tuannguyen[/nom]"Ruining the institution of PC Gaming" [/citation]

Developers shouldn't waste time making games run on niche products like Macs. If Apple wants games on Macs, they should ship their computers with Windows and proper video cards.

peacock

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Developers shouldn't waste time making games run on niche products like Macs. If Apple wants games on Macs, they should ship their computers with Windows and proper video cards.[/citation]

yeah that's why Valve makes decisions that is making them many millions of dollars and you're just a guy commenting on a site. Way to know what you're talking about. not.

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
[citation][nom]MayDay94[/nom]that level one turret can be upgraded to a level 3 by the engineer. that sleek looking turret from portal has no upgrade path. i think it's an insult to macs. lol.[/citation]
Ha, it's not an insult, is a fact... can't upgrade macs.

Trueno07

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
If I could take the 1300$ some of my friends spend on Macbooks, or the 2000 some spend on a desktop type mac, and build a PC with that money...

Imagine the power...

juliom

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
This might change computer video games forever! Imagine, all games having an OpenGL renderer! Even Linux gaming will become viable! Oh glorious day, thank you Valve!

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]I will not buy Steam games any more until they withdraw Steam support from Macs. Valve is ruining the institution of PC gaming by having their games on Macs.[/citation]

The institution? You think too much of yourself. Get over the fact that macs may actually be useful and could become part of the gaming community, I welcome this fully.

[citation][nom]doc70[/nom]Ha, it's not an insult, is a fact... can't upgrade macs.[/citation]

That (for the most part) is true. Excluding the desktop Power Macs, but they're a whole different story. The true benefit here is obviously expanding horizons and the possibility of universal coding/design for games that would bring games to Mac/Linux/PC simultaneously.

Not to mention something like this will put serious pressure on Apple to adapt Macs towards gaming some, and may eventually lead to customizable Macs, although Apple will not most likely give up control of the hardware completely, it may open many doors for the future of COMPUTER gaming, not just PC gaming, this is a great thing really.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]tuannguyen[/nom]Maybe we should run a "SCOTD" or Stupid Comment of the Day.[/citation]

You sir, awesome idea! That would be wonderful if we had the stupidest and best/most coherent/insightful comments of the day. That may reduce some of the trolling around in comments and that would be greatly appreciated :)

rajaton

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
So now you'd have to pay the extra couple hundred bucks to upgrade the graphics card, switch out your processor because the Xeon isn't a gaming CPU, buy a new mouse because you can't game with the magic mouse. For all the cost of that, you could buy a new PC!

seriousazn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
[citation][nom]geminireaper[/nom]until you can buy a mac for under 800 that can actually play the latest games out its a moot point. I can build a pc for under 800 that can play all the latest games.....in order to get good enough hardware for mac you need to get a power mac in the 1500-2k range. no thanks.[/citation]
well...technically the mac was designed for multimedia and not gaming...but we will see how this all pans out sooner or later

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
Hopefully the Mac gamers are segregated into different servers. Last thing i need is someone on my L4D team who can't smack the zombies when they're reloading because they're trying to use some stupid 1 button mouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.