It's World IPv6 Launch Day: Welcome to The Wider Web

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cy-Kill

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
None of the telecom companies in Canada are even trying to upgrade their systems to IPv6, so who knows when we'll see adoption start happening here.

Vettedude

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Uverse has a page showing their support for IPv6, and all my equipment except their dumb Home Gateway supports it. It says they need to push a firmware upgrade to support IPv6. FAIL.

i_hack_sites

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
I did this analysis back in March, here is a quick summary of sites in top 1 million found with AAAA records:
* 1% of total sites
* ~5% of sites in Germany and Russia
* 0.38% of sites in the USA
* 90% of sites are running Apache or Nginx
* 4% of sites are running IIS

In July, I am planning on a follow-up to see if there is any major change in the numbers.
http://hackertarget.com/ipv6-in-top-sites-infographic/

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
I know a lot of isp's are asking customers to buy a new docsis3 modem for $150 because of the change to support ipv6.

But except for a larger registry, is it faster or more secure?

hwangchan

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
[citation][nom]bin1127[/nom]I know a lot of isp's are asking customers to buy a new docsis3 modem for $150 because of the change to support ipv6. But except for a larger registry, is it faster or more secure?[/citation]
To summarize the differences as easy as I can explain, the difference between ip4 and ip6 is the length of the address. If your ip4 address was 111.111.1.111, where the 1's could only be a digit between 0-9. Notice how there are 4 segments of numbers separated by a period, hence ip4. also, the format only allowed 3 digits between the periods, limiting the number of unique addresses.

IP6 address extends the address to be 6 segments of data, with up to 4 characters, also allowing 0-9 as well as a-z. It might also allow other ascii characters, this i am unsure of. The format would look something like this xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx. Also, ip6 can have header and footer data to identify intranet vs internet, as well as add a suffix so if you have 5 devices at home, they all use a single IP address, and your router will identify each device with an "individual" ip address by changing the suffix.

Ultimately the change doesn't affect performance in any way, just allows more users to access the internet on more devices. If you don't switch over right away, most the internet will still work, anything that keeps the ip4 active, but newer sites that use only an ip6 address may not be accessible.

I know its a bit confusing, but did that help?

hwangchan

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
[citation][nom]hwangchan[/nom]IP6 address extends the address to be 6 segments of data, with up to 4 characters, also allowing 0-9 as well as a-f. [/citation]

Fixed, hex based not ascii.

G

Actually hwangchan the letters only go through A-F because it is a hexadecimal number. HEX numbers are 123456789ABCDEF. Basically IPV4 is 32 bits and IPV6 is 128 bits. With IPV6 there is enough addresses to assign a different IP to every square inch of the earth.
IPV6 address would be 0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000 which is 8 quartets of HEX numbers.
That is kinda the basics.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]bin1127[/nom]I know a lot of isp's are asking customers to buy a new docsis3 modem for $150 because of the change to support ipv6. But except for a larger registry, is it faster or more secure?[/citation]

IPv4 has a limit of around 3 billion unique IP addresses, which is not enough as of now. IPv6 has over a trillion unique IP addresses, which should be enough for another two decades or so, or at least outlast the creators of IPv6.

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
I actually just bought a new DOCSIS 3.0 modem and it was not $150, it was $88 at newegg. Significantly cheaper than your figure.

Also, I know of no ISP currently requiring people to get new modems, however, if they have Comcast and rent their modem they can get a DOCSIS 3.0 version replacement for free (still have to pay the rental fee, of course).

Now to wait for the device based tier'd pricing schemes.

$19.99 for two PC's
$9.99 for each gaming console
$19.99 for the premium gaming package, puts your packets at a higher QoS level then regular customers
$9.99 for each Phone / Tablet device.

Their already talking bandwidth caps, you think their not thinking about this too? Extracting maximum profit from existing revenue streams.

garrick

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
[citation][nom]palladin9479[/nom]Now to wait for the device based tier'd pricing schemes.$19.99 for two PC's$9.99 for each gaming console$19.99 for the premium gaming package, puts your packets at a higher QoS level then regular customers$9.99 for each Phone / Tablet device.Their already talking bandwidth caps, you think their not thinking about this too? Extracting maximum profit from existing revenue streams.[/citation]
You could always use NAT so it just looks like one user.

notsurewhototrust

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
The scary part of IPV6 is that throughout history we have not had a counting system in place to track every human being or piece of equipment. Even though numbers themselves are essentially endless, the systems used such as social security, phone numbers, IPV4 etc.. have relatively low limits compared to IPV6. Now the government can assign each and every person an IP address to be used as ID for your entire life. Then we will all be tracked with this system because it is being built into all operating systems which makes it easy to develop software to do the tracking. It may sound like just a conspiracy theory but this is the 1st step.

The designers of IPv6 went out of their way to prevent any form of 6 to 6 NAT from being made. In their view every internet connected device should be able to communicate with and visible to every other internet connected device, privacy be damned.

Of course didn't keep some Chinese college kid from writing a linux kernel module that does exactly that, you can google NAPT66 and it's right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.