ITX Build Overheating Issues

fosser2

Honorable
Feb 24, 2015
The build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/NKJV3C (also gives a better description of the workstation)

Regardless of people's thoughts on Prime95, I have always considered this to be my system stability test. Running the Small FFT's test or Blend for that matter, I cannot keep the temperature down. My Corsair H90 (140mm) is set up the way that Corsair recommended with the radiator fan in the front of the case blowing in, through the radiator. Using RealTemp for my temperature monitoring. The 3-pin pump is plugged into the CPU fan header and the 4-pin radiator fan (PWM) is plugged into a case fan header. In the BIOS, the case fan is set to standard operation mode (and I have played with some of the other options).

It takes about 30 seconds to spike the CPU temperature up to ~90°C which to me in unacceptable. I personally believe this system should maybe hit max 70°C under load with this setup. Any suggestions here would be greatly appreciated.

fosser2

Solution
1. The selection of the Q option is perhaps unfortunate.
The mesh front option would give you better fresh air intake to your cooler radiator.
Perhaps you can contact Silverstone and get a replacement.
I think they are very responsive.

2. You can buy a higher rpm 140mm fan for the cooler intake.
That should deliver better cooling at the expense of more noise.

1. The selection of the Q option is perhaps unfortunate.
The mesh front option would give you better fresh air intake to your cooler radiator.
Perhaps you can contact Silverstone and get a replacement.
I think they are very responsive.

2. You can buy a higher rpm 140mm fan for the cooler intake.
That should deliver better cooling at the expense of more noise.

Solution

fosser2

Honorable
Feb 24, 2015

Thanks for posting a reply. I started playing with the fan/radiator orientation and I believe I was able to find something that worked out. Initially I opened up the case front and I did see a temperature drop which means there just was not enough airflow. I ended up reversing the fan and radiator with the fan sandwiching the radiator between the front panel blowing out the front. I actually saw temperatures stabilize in doing this. Running Small FFT's temperatures still hit low 90's but that is showing an extreme. I was really hoping to not have to switch to the mesh version of this case because I like the current look. I have updated the pcpartpicker link to show the build pictures. Thanks for the help.