[SOLVED] Ive done a big oopsie

ThanosPlease

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
So there was this file that i didnt know what it had and i couldnt delete it, so i changed some permissions and barabing baraboom i dont have access to some files and apps on my computer. I've tried formatting it (didnt work). I know I F-ed up but i need help

Solution
Should I just format both of my drives?
Depends what is on them.
I would start with just the OS drive, with a full reinstall.

So there was this file that i didnt know what it had and i couldnt delete it, so i changed some permissions and barabing baraboom i dont have access to some files and apps on my computer. I've tried formatting it (didnt work). I know I F-ed up but i need help

Ouch..,. ok so first question is, what file exactly was it?

You say you don't have access to 'some files and apps' - that suggests you can still boot up the machine and use it a bit?

What operating system are you using?

ThanosPlease

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
I dont really remember the name of the folder (but i tried some other solutions before that but every time i was deleting it, after a reboot i would come back. Yeah I can still boot up my PC it doesnt have a problem. And im operating on Windows 10

ThanosPlease

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
Okay so I've done something but can someone tell me who is this random ass user? I've been trying to open a program and it says access denied
P.S. I doesnt even let me open lightshot but the account name is "Account Unknown(S-1-5-21-3871319346-1381223376-3227377524-1001)" and has all of the permissions

USAFRet

Titan
Okay so I've done something but can someone tell me who is this random ass user? I've been trying to open a program and it says access denied
P.S. I doesnt even let me open lightshot but the account name is "Account Unknown(S-1-5-21-3871319346-1381223376-3227377524-1001)" and has all of the permissions
There's not much else to suggest, other than a complete reinstall.
No telling what these "permissions" did.

USAFRet

Titan
Should I just format both of my drives?
Depends what is on them.
I would start with just the OS drive, with a full reinstall.

Solution
See if you can reset your pc back to before when all was well.
Use system restore, and pick a previous time when all was well.
Windows should have put in an entry before an update.
For the future, take a user checkpoint before doing anything that you are not certain about.

If you did not have system restore configured, you are out of luck.