Question I've installed a new motherboard but now it has DRAM issues?

Mar 4, 2019
So I've just recently bought a new motherboard to replace my old Gigabyte Z270X. I got the ASUS STRIX Z270H. After taking it all out and putting in the motherboard, starting it up I got no beep, no lights and no video output. Noticing I left some things unplugged I plugged everything back in. This time there was no beep but I got the standby LED and also the orange LED indicating DRAM issues? What could be the cause of this, I tried running with just a single stick of ram, changing the order of the sticks. Checking if the CPU had a bent pin or anything to give me an idea of what's going wrong. Nothing..

Can anyone help? I've spent about 5 hours trying to sort it out and I'm losing my patience. The mobo was getting power and all fans were spinning. What could be the issue and if anyone has a solution to this it would be much appreciated.

Specs:
Zotac GTX 1080
Core i7 7700k
32gb Corsair (16GB x 2)
Corsair 650w CS Series

Mar 4, 2019
Is your old MoBo still working? Test it. Probably you've gotten some bad MoBo, since I assume on the old one everything was working fine

The old mobo wasn't working, I mean, I assume it was the mobo not working as that's what the technician said? Once I removed the CPU I noticed two pins were bent on the old mobo.

trandaa

Reputable
Feb 21, 2019
Ahh, I see. Were the old RAM sticks on the old MoBo? There is a possibility that it fried them. Can you test your RAM on another PC?
If not, and you live in Europe, you could buy some new RAM from Amazon, test it on your setup to eliminate the fact, that your RAM is damaged.

If you still get the orange light with new RAM, you can send back the new RAM (there should be a law about sending stuff back after 14 days if you don't like them in EU) and RMA the MoBo as well, because it's defective.

If the PC recognise the new RAM and it'll work fine, your old RAM are damaged and you'll need the new ones.

Reactions: SlagRat
Mar 4, 2019
Ahh, I see. Were the old RAM sticks on the old MoBo? There is a possibility that it fried them. Can you test your RAM on another PC?
If not, and you live in Europe, you could buy some new RAM from Amazon, test it on your setup to eliminate the fact, that your RAM is damaged.

If you still get the orange light with new RAM, you can send back the new RAM (there should be a law about sending stuff back after 14 days if you don't like them in EU) and RMA the MoBo as well, because it's defective.

If the PC recognise the new RAM and it'll work fine, your old RAM are damaged and you'll need the new ones.

Okay, sounds doable! I'll give it a shot. I'll give an update when I can sort it out!

Mar 4, 2019

So the new RAM made no difference, the last cause of this is possibly the CPU, I'm not ready to shell out £350 at the moment. All the symptoms turn to a faulty CPU, I just didn't want to believe them, haha. Thanks for all the help though, much appreciated!

trandaa

Reputable
Feb 21, 2019
I would try to RMA the Mobo anyway, since it's newly bought and it was kind of only change you've done before you PC stopped working. Or if you think it's CPU, I would try to find some PC repair shop and ask them if they would test it.
Cheers

Reactions: SlagRat