[SOLVED] I've just bought an I7 9700F... Whats up with the 65W TDP? :/

tnzz

Commendable
Jan 28, 2019
This isn't a problem as such, it works and its an upgrade over my 8400.

I have put the 9700F in my Asus TUF Z370-Plus and the 65W TDP is throttling the all core turbo to 3.9-4.1Ghz when it can run 4.5Ghz on all 8 cores.

I can't find anywhere in BIOS to change the TDP but I have downloaded Intel XTU and even though it is a Non-K it is letting me alter the TDP.

I bumped the TDP up to 95W and it still only hits 4.3Ghz on all cores under load and stays just under 80 degrees (I need to buy a better cooler).
The short turbo boost by default runs it at 120W for about 30 seconds and in that time it stays stable 4.5Ghz like it should and just goes over 80 degrees.

Is this actually right though? You have to run double the factory TDP to get the Intel quoted all core boost or is the devil in the detail when they say "up to 4.5Ghz on all cores".

Will running a constant 100-120TDP when default is 65 damage it or kill it off quicker?

Solution
The 9700F might be able to hit those advertised clocks for 20-30 seconds, but, true factory behavior would/should then be a lower overall base clock on all cores to keep overall heat/power draw down to comply with the 65 watt TDP. (One can't expect a 9700F to almost equal the 9700K's clock speeds with the 9700F at only 65W)

However, a good Z-series mainboard, and w/ a few clicks within Intel's XTU (remove power limit/boost duration limit, etc.), the 9700F should/could at least pretty closely match the 9700K's factory behavior... (as you've discovered) Give it a decent cooler, and run it as such!

tnzz

Commendable
Jan 28, 2019
No idea why but the Intel pages don't tell you the specific boosts for any processor, I should of put up to 4.7 though in my post not 4.5.

But the per core boosts are:
4,700 MHz (1 core),
4,700 MHz (2 cores),
4,600 MHz (3 cores),
4,600 MHz (4 cores),
4,500 MHz (5 cores),
4,500 MHz (6 cores),
4,500 MHz (7 cores),
4,500 MHz (8 cores)
https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/core_i7/i7-9700f

And I do get 4.5Ghz on all cores, but in the short max power boost which runs it at basically twice the TDP, but then by default restricts back to its TDP of 65W. That then throttles all the cores and it bounces around 3.9-4.1 in game (Cold War). If I minimize the game then check it will then go to 4.5Ghz when its not under full game load though.

So i can make it run at 4.5Ghz on all cores but at basically double the default TDP, which just concerns me. I've never really messed with my PC like this before.

I can't find anywhere in BIOS to change the TDP but I have downloaded Intel XTU and even though it is a Non-K it is letting me alter the TDP.
Check if you have multi core enhancement.
Intel clearly states a base clock of 3Ghz, that's the guaranteed clock at 65W for the heaviest workload, lighter loads including games will run faster than that even locked at 65w.
TDP is cooling requirement and it only boosts to 120W if it has been running at close to idle long enough for the cooling to be able to handle 120W for 30 secs.
Running at 120W TDP all the time will not degrade the CPU as long as the Vcore is set up correctly and the temps are kept in check.
ashampoo_snap_2019-12-28_22h26m49s_001_-png.1078388

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
CoD: Cold War likely utilizes AVX Instruction set.
AVX is faster than the standard SSE Instruction set at the same frequencies, but has higher power and voltage demands, thus produces higher operating thermals.

There may be an AVX offset enabled in the bios that has it clocking down when AVX is running. This is done to keep thermals in check.
Your cooler would likely not be able to cope if you remove the offset.

rgd1101

Don't
No idea why but the Intel pages don't tell you the specific boosts for any processor, I should of put up to 4.7 though in my post not 4.5.

But the per core boosts are:
4,700 MHz (1 core),
4,700 MHz (2 cores),
4,600 MHz (3 cores),
4,600 MHz (4 cores),
4,500 MHz (5 cores),
4,500 MHz (6 cores),
4,500 MHz (7 cores),
4,500 MHz (8 cores)
https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/core_i7/i7-9700f

And I do get 4.5Ghz on all cores, but in the short max power boost which runs it at basically twice the TDP, but then by default restricts back to its TDP of 65W. That then throttles all the cores and it bounces around 3.9-4.1 in game (Cold War). If I minimize the game then check it will then go to 4.5Ghz when its not under full game load though.

So i can make it run at 4.5Ghz on all cores but at basically double the default TDP, which just concerns me. I've never really messed with my PC like this before.
like it said boost. not based freq
anything else is OC

Reactions: dorsai
The 9700F might be able to hit those advertised clocks for 20-30 seconds, but, true factory behavior would/should then be a lower overall base clock on all cores to keep overall heat/power draw down to comply with the 65 watt TDP. (One can't expect a 9700F to almost equal the 9700K's clock speeds with the 9700F at only 65W)

However, a good Z-series mainboard, and w/ a few clicks within Intel's XTU (remove power limit/boost duration limit, etc.), the 9700F should/could at least pretty closely match the 9700K's factory behavior... (as you've discovered) Give it a decent cooler, and run it as such!

Solution

tnzz

Commendable
Jan 28, 2019
Check if you have multi core enhancement.
Intel clearly states a base clock of 3Ghz, that's the guaranteed clock at 65W for the heaviest workload, lighter loads including games will run faster than that even locked at 65w.
TDP is cooling requirement and it only boosts to 120W if it has been running at close to idle long enough for the cooling to be able to handle 120W for 30 secs.
Running at 120W TDP all the time will not degrade the CPU as long as the Vcore is set up correctly and the temps are kept in check.
ashampoo_snap_2019-12-28_22h26m49s_001_-png.1078388

I do have MCE but I don't think its working, looking online I've seen various different sources saying Non-K works and doesn't work with MCE.

In the 28 second extra boost at the start of the turbo all cores boost to the same freq but then when it comes back down to the set TDP they aren't all the same, MCE is set to auto (The only other option is disabled). So I guess its not working.

tnzz

Commendable
Jan 28, 2019

Yea I set the TDP for now to 95W which is what the 9700K is, I'll get a Be Quiet or Noctua and then tinker some more I guess then.

tnzz

Commendable
Jan 28, 2019
MCE Auto is probably still limiting some things, as you see on the picture MCE enabled removes all limits.

Stress test uses up more power than your normal work or a game, so clocks will also be much better when gaming.

Hmm I don't have an enable option at all, I can only click auto or disable.

Another thing I found strange was the XMP profile on my ram wants to change the settings different to when I had the 8400 in.

Not much else I can do though than push the TDP and cool it better.