Ivy Bridge-based Asus G55VW Laptop Seen for Pre-Order

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuishimi

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
It looks nice (specs and physically)… how does the 660M perform? Can it be used for gaming if you want to? Anyway, full keyboard. Nice I guess but I haven't used a full keyboard in years. How do people feel about that?

sully101

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
The Hinges are a moot point, the design makes them really strong and well built, I have the g74sx and it never was an issue, It's a big laptop but has excellent cooling because of it. It will run anything you throw at it for gaming.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Sounds nice, and if it's anything like my Asus laptop (The N53SV), it should run nice and cool too! I'm just not sure about the hinge design, as if it is too big, it may not fit in standard 15" sleeves and carrying cases. I would have to see some dimensions.

However, the 2MP camera is a letdown. Then again, all integrated webcams are...

My laptop has a GT 540M (Which is around the same as a Radeon 5650), and while it can run anything I throw at it, you just can't crank up the settings past medium-high on high-intensity games (Ultra is out, of course). Older games (2008 and older) can usually run near maxxed out, except you may have to turn down shadows and AA a bit. For an example, I can run Skyrim on the default medium settings, but I can turn the texture quality up to high as long as I don't turn up shadows and AA beyond medium. However for games like Portal 2, I can turn everything up as high as it can go.

Now, since my laptop's resolution is only 1366x768 vs this new one's 1080p, and the 540M is a midrange vs the 660M which is probably getting towards the high-end stuff, the settings would probably end up being around the same for both laptops; so you could probably expect medium to high settings, but you'll need to turn shadows and AA down for high-intensity games. However, this is just speculation based on the specs and my own experience, you would have to check some benchmarks to be sure.

sully101

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
This should be a significant boost, I wonder if I can upgrade my CPU to Sandy bridge for my G74sx, I've done some research and found some desktop motherboards will be backwards compatible, but I don't know about the mobile motherboards. Anyone do any research on this?

Blarg44

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
I think i already love this laptop.

Love the design.
Love the CPU.
Love the GPU.
Love the 15.6' screen.
Love the extra drive slot.
Love the ports.
And the price doesn't seem too bad either.

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
[citation][nom]shardey[/nom]Not sure how I feel about where the screen hinge location appears to be.[/citation]
I have an older G73SW and I can assure you that it's a tough fit in standard 17" backpacks (it's a 17" model). It won't fit in most and the one I found to fit it within, it's outside of the intended pouch and touches the zipper. So for this one, essentially you need a 17" backpack for a 15" laptop. However, keep in mind you are not going to move it a lot considering its weight (8.4 pounds, likely without the power brick). The excellent cooling design more than pays off for the extra size.

Well this is kepler! The lower end kepler gpu's perform to the low end gtx models of the previous gen. The gtx660m should perform roughly in between the 570m and 675m. This is kepler remember! :bounce:

G

Model number of the thunderbolt controller on the computer, the make is definitely Intel, but I want the Intel controller that has 2 channels/4 lanes and not the controller that has 1 channel/2 lanes!

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
[citation][nom]Tuishimi[/nom]It looks nice (specs and physically)… how does the 660M perform? Can it be used for gaming if you want to? Anyway, full keyboard. Nice I guess but I haven't used a full keyboard in years. How do people feel about that?[/citation]
I have an ASUS G51VX. It has a 260M and is used in the higher model laptops to play Battlefield 3 at 1080p. With my screen at 1366x768, I can play with all graphics settings on max (this is a DX9 card), even though it is underclocked in my model (which I change if I see fit ;) ). The full size keyboard is convenient, though probably not necessary; but using it for math functions beats the normal keyboard. Now if there was something I could do about the 1:30 of battery life.

sha7bot

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
I work for a company that sells these models, and it is a source of frustration for us that ASUS wont upgrade beyond the middle-upper end GPUs. We've spoken to the CEO, and they would rather run a cooler laptop than a faster one.

Needless to say, they get trounced by Alienware, Clevo/Sager, and MSI which sport the HD7970M and GTX-675M. We know, we have the sales numbers.

The ASUS G75 and G55 are great machines, but someone needs to knock on ASUS's head and tell them, "Why put Republic of Gamers on mid ranged system?!"

G

I've got an ASUS N53SN with a 550M in it. While its native resolution is 1920x1080, I run most games at 1366x720, just to be safe, and it has no problems with anything I've thrown at it.

In the new lineup the 630M is a rebadged 555M which is more powerful than my laptop. The 660M should run rings around it - I'd imagine you'd game at full res on that.

wantiao2013

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
Very interesting, thank you for sharing!
g.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS