Ivy Bridge to Have a Maximum TDP of 77 Watts

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]species8472[/nom]AMD had better pull a rabbit out of its hat soon or Intel will stagnate.[/citation]
Yeah, AMD is probably breaking out with poison ivy right now...

Marthian

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
On an unrelated note, can we stop calling this "leaked" info and start calling it Press Releases? I don't even think Apple loses its products on purpose, they just say it got leaked to raise hype.

[citation][nom]livebriand[/nom]Sweet, nice! How will the performance compare to Sandy Bridge? THIS is what I want to see happening.But will this have USB 3.0 in the chipset? Sandy Bridge ones STILL lack that. Heck, my 1.5 year old 1156 board has that (via a 3rd party Renesas/NEC controller).[/citation]
10% increase in CPU, 30+% increase in GPU, 20W less power, more USB3, more sata3, PCIe3, and the possibility of light peak (still refuse to call it thunderbolt, Lightpeak is a way better name).
Not a huge performance increase, but a very large increase in features. Perfect for the people who are big on 'future proofing' their machines, and most of these standards are relatively new and will not be updated any time soon.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Ivy Bridge is great. So glad I skipped core i3, core i5, core i7 (yes I know ivy bridge is an i7 too).

This is leaps and bounds forward in technology.

Now to just wait until it comes out and see what motherboard to buy from EVGA.

As far as bashing AMD, I don't need to. AMD is a great company. Now given that I never buy AMD processors doesn't mean that I need to knock competition. That would be utterly foolish.

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
"(still refuse to call it thunderbolt, Lightpeak is a way better name)"

LOL, now that you mention it Thunderbolt does remind me of "Shazam" - do a Google for images.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]sonofliberty08[/nom]AMD better working smart on their APU line, if not we are going back to the 1.5K US$ per celeron PC era soon[/citation]

in all honesty, we are in an era were amd phenom are only 20% slower than a high end sandy bridge, and most tests, its only the difference of 20 seconds. realistically, it doesn't matter what cpu you have anymore.

also, wait on windows 8, as it could fix some of the more craptastic benchmark results of the bulldozer.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]10% increase in CPU, 30+% increase in GPU, 20W less power, more USB3, more sata3, PCIe3, and the possibility of light peak (still refuse to call it thunderbolt, Lightpeak is a way better name).Not a huge performance increase, but a very large increase in features. Perfect for the people who are big on 'future proofing' their machines, and most of these standards are relatively new and will not be updated any time soon.[/citation]
Thunderbolt uses copper and LightPeak uses optical - not quite the same thing.

Now, I don't recall that the sandy bridge CPUs had USB 3.0 IN the chipset AT ALL.

Also, although better graphics are nice, I imagine most of us will still have to go with dedicated graphics to get moderately good performance in games, right?

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Stupid Intel, TDP77w does it mean we have a low stock clock Ivy bridge? Why cant they maintain the 95w TDP on the desktop chips and clock higher for stock GHz.

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
[citation][nom]josejones[/nom]I've only ever had AMD CPU's - due to Intel's outrageous prices and lack of easy upgradeability. However, I am seriously thinking about going with Intel's new Ivy Bridge. I'm really liking the USB3 and PCIe3 support, better on-board GPU, and faster RAM support. Plus, the low wattage and decent energy efficiency - 77 watts is impressive.The only thing that would hold me back is price, as per usual with Intel. I hope Ivy Bridge will be competitively priced or I won't be going Intel.[/citation]

Literally my thoughts exactly. This Bulldozer fail seems to have worked out for the best, upgrading with Ivy will at least get be pcie 3.0, so there's one less thing to worry about.

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
Ivy Bridge IGP is only 30-50% faster than SB-IGP

Llano IGP is 3-4times (300-400%) faster than SB-IGP.

Sandy Bridge IGP ~ HD5450
Ivy Bridge IGP ~ HD6450
Llano ~ HD5570
Trinity ~ HD5750

Now go to youtube and compare.

G

I think the market is converging on smaller, more efficient chips. Arm is already effecting Intel's strategy. I don't think you will see Intel sandbagging on their tech because they need at least one process node leadership to allow them to keep up with ARM's more efficient design (no x86 legacy). AMD seems to be getting even farther behind in this battle. Intel can't afford to lose Apple to ARM and Apple has made it quite clear that power efficiency is their most important metric. If ARM keeps moving ahead at the current rate will start to cut into pricing for the pentium line. It is even reasonable to assume they can start cutting into the i3 territory by 2013-2015. One possible driver for more powerful chips will be evolving AI functions in the operating systems and for specific applications.

[citation][nom]ptmmac[/nom]I think the market is converging on smaller, more efficient chips. Arm is already effecting Intel's strategy. I don't think you will see Intel sandbagging on their tech because they need at least one process node leadership to allow them to keep up with ARM's more efficient design (no x86 legacy). AMD seems to be getting even farther behind in this battle. Intel can't afford to lose Apple to ARM and Apple has made it quite clear that power efficiency is their most important metric. If ARM keeps moving ahead at the current rate will start to cut into pricing for the pentium line. It is even reasonable to assume they can start cutting into the i3 territory by 2013-2015. One possible driver for more powerful chips will be evolving AI functions in the operating systems and for specific applications.[/citation]

Sounds like you are suggesting Intel's competition is more ARM than AMD going forward, with AMD starting to fall, much like Cyrix did in the 1990s

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
[citation][nom]ScrewySqrl[/nom]Sounds like you are suggesting Intel's competition is more ARM than AMD going forward, with AMD starting to fall, much like Cyrix did in the 1990s[/citation]
Cyrix is still around... except it owned by Via. The CPU then and now was never more than a few percent of the market and all that was at the low end. The Celeron did in Cyrix more than anything. A Windows that runs on ARM just might wipe out AMD.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Lol, WHO CARES? Whoever buys Sandy/Ivy Bridge will use a dedicated GPU. Your Llano is forced market; no one needs it, NO ONE. "Common user" can do with an Intel IGP, enthusiast needs a graphics card. Wait, before you throw in your favorite excuse of people "still wanting to play games" on a cheap laptop, let me remind you that these "games" that they play can be maxed out on an Intel IGP :)

llano's igp truly is superior to sb's igp. but sb's igp has quick sync and ivb will have an improved version of that. ivb will also add support for 4kx4k resolution, up from sb's 2560x1600 (based on 'leaks' and idf news).
global foundries' having problems with 32 nm chip production and it affected llano and bulldozer. intel is the one consistently selling 32 nm chips (except the cougar point issue).
llano has a athlon-type cpu core inside it - a mature chip. trinity will have a bulldozer module inside it, we all know how bulldozer cpu performs :).

jdwii

Splendid
Lol, WHO CARES? Whoever buys Sandy/Ivy Bridge will use a dedicated GPU. Your Llano is forced market; no one needs it, NO ONE. "Common user" can do with an Intel IGP, enthusiast needs a graphics card. Wait, before you throw in your favorite excuse of people "still wanting to play games" on a cheap laptop, let me remind you that these "games" that they play can be maxed out on an Intel IGP

Funny Sims 3 is one of the most popular games for casual people and it uses 40% of my Amd Radeon 6950 i'm more then sure Sims 3 would play like crap on Intel. Also has Intel found a way to do 24FPS video yet? Also doesn't Amd have better quality under videos i thought that was tested here a lot.

Then again some people like having Brightness and contrast as their only video options.

jdwii

Splendid
llano's igp truly is superior to sb's igp. but sb's igp has quick sync and ivb will have an improved version of that. ivb will also add support for 4kx4k resolution, up from sb's 2560x1600 (based on 'leaks' and idf news).

The Intel 3000HD graphics skips on windows Aero when i used it on 1080P i wounder how that would go on higher resolutions.Also don't you have to disable discrete video to get Quick sync to work?

dtemple

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Lol, WHO CARES? Whoever buys Sandy/Ivy Bridge will use a dedicated GPU. Your Llano is forced market; no one needs it, NO ONE. "Common user" can do with an Intel IGP, enthusiast needs a graphics card. Wait, before you throw in your favorite excuse of people "still wanting to play games" on a cheap laptop, let me remind you that these "games" that they play can be maxed out on an Intel IGP[/citation]
Incorrect. I own an Asus K53TA-BBR6 laptop with an AMD A6-3400M which cost $450 and maxes out all my games. It has the APU with a Radeon 6500M, and a dedicated 6600M, which run in crossfire for DirectX10 games. My game collection includes Need for Speed Hot Pursuit (2010), which CAN NOT be maxed out on an Intel IGP. Also running at max (or close to it): Resident Evil 5, Batman Arkham Asylum, Dirt 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Burnout Paradise, Fallout 3, Lost Planet, Gears of War... None of these games would run smoothly on an Intel IGP, but run great on a crossfire with Llano, which cost me $450.

ChiefTexas_82

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
[citation][nom]CyberAngel[/nom]Ivy Bridge is also a sort of "half-tock" eg.not a big HW change, yet still with enhancements to keep it up-to-date[/citation]

I think 3d architecture is a fairly big HW change.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Something wrong with your stuff. Aero doesn't skip even on older integrated solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.