ChrisR

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

Believe it or not, this game is not available in New Zealand. I had
been meaning to acquire it for sometime and only recently found a copy
on ebay. What a great sim! Its obvious a great deal of attention went
into this game. I haven't enjoyed a space sim this much since
Tie-fighter! Is there any word of a sequel to EOC? If not, what
upcoming space sims (if any) are worthy of a space on my shelf next to EOC?

"Chrisr" <chrisr@es.co.nz> wrote in message
> Believe it or not, this game is not available in New Zealand. I had
> been meaning to acquire it for sometime and only recently found a copy
> on ebay. What a great sim! Its obvious a great deal of attention went
> into this game. I haven't enjoyed a space sim this much since
> Tie-fighter! Is there any word of a sequel to EOC? If not, what
> upcoming space sims (if any) are worthy of a space on my shelf next to
EOC?

Thanks for the kind words! I was one of the designers who worked on I-War 2,
and it's nice to see people are still discovering and playing the game three
years after its release.

Unfortunately there will be no sequels, as the company which produced the
game - Particle Systems - has closed down. It's staff (including me)
transferred to Argonaut Games, and we're now working primarily on PS2 and
X-Box games (Our future racing game Powerdrome is out very soon). The rights
to the I-War game series now rest with Atari, and it's unlikely they would
produce any more games in the series.

Have you played the original I-War game? You can pick up the deluxe edition
very cheaply off Ebay, and by using a Glide Emulator/Wrapper you can get it
working in 3Dfx mode on modern PCs.

You might also want to check out the fan site www.i-war2.com, as they have
dozens of mods (some written by me) and some total conversions which could
extend your playing time.

Best regards,

-- Steve
Stephen Robertson
Senior Designer
Argonaut Sheffield

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

Hi Chris,

I seem to remember that Edge of Chaos was available in NZ a few years
ago - I'm pretty sure there were copies in Electronic Boutique in the
Downtown Centre in Auckland soon after the game was released, because
I remember taking my folks to see it (I was the lead programmer for
the project.)

You might want to hunt around in the older software bins in the
Warehouse - I know that I've seen boxed copies of the first I-War game
in there in recent years. As Steve says, I-War 1 is great, perhaps a
bit more hardcore than the sequel.

Good luck,

Will Vale
Project Lead: Powerdrome
Argonaut Sheffield

PS: We're emigrating to NZ in a couple of weeks - how's the weather
this winter?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

"Stephen Robertson" <steve@particle-systems.com> wrote in

> "Chrisr" <chrisr@es.co.nz> wrote in message
>> Believe it or not, this game is not available in New Zealand. I had
>> been meaning to acquire it for sometime and only recently found a
>> copy on ebay. What a great sim! Its obvious a great deal of
>> attention went into this game. I haven't enjoyed a space sim this
>> much since Tie-fighter! Is there any word of a sequel to EOC? If
>> not, what upcoming space sims (if any) are worthy of a space on my
>> shelf next to
> EOC?
>
> Thanks for the kind words! I was one of the designers who worked on
> I-War 2, and it's nice to see people are still discovering and playing
> the game three years after its release.
>
> Unfortunately there will be no sequels, as the company which produced
> the game - Particle Systems - has closed down. It's staff (including
> me) transferred to Argonaut Games, and we're now working primarily on
> PS2 and X-Box games (Our future racing game Powerdrome is out very
> soon). The rights to the I-War game series now rest with Atari, and
> it's unlikely they would produce any more games in the series.
>
> Have you played the original I-War game? You can pick up the deluxe
> edition very cheaply off Ebay, and by using a Glide Emulator/Wrapper
> you can get it working in 3Dfx mode on modern PCs.
>
> You might also want to check out the fan site www.i-war2.com, as they
> have dozens of mods (some written by me) and some total conversions
> which could extend your playing time.
>
> Best regards,
>
> -- Steve
> Stephen Robertson
> Senior Designer
> Argonaut Sheffield

Steve,

I have been a fan of the Iwar games since the beginning. I consider the
first Iwar game (with a full CH Force FX HOTAS) to be the best game
experience I have had.

What will it take to get Atari to release the source code as Volition did
with Freespace 2?

I still think that Iwar 2 with a real, persitant economy, on-line,
backend world could be a money maker.

Who should I call?

P.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 22:30:37 -0500, Paul Grunwald
<pgrunwald@spamthis.comcast.net> wrote:

>Steve,
>
>I have been a fan of the Iwar games since the beginning. I consider the
>first Iwar game (with a full CH Force FX HOTAS) to be the best game
>experience I have had.
>
>What will it take to get Atari to release the source code as Volition did
>with Freespace 2?
>
>I still think that Iwar 2 with a real, persitant economy, on-line,
>backend world could be a money maker.
>
>Who should I call?
>
>P.

Just make sure they change the economy from barter to cash. Otherwise,
I don't think it would work all that well in MP.

ChrisR

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

Yeah, after its original launch, EOC was available here for a few
months, then it disapeared. I found a copy for $9 on Ebay so I am set.
I have the original I-war (Jam-1 according to a friend on mine who
first saw the cd case upside down). I mean to play it shortly, even if
I am a few (many years) late.

> PS: We're emigrating to NZ in a couple of weeks - how's the weather
> this winter?

It's Frickin' Freezing in Here, Mr. Bigglesworth ;). Well, I'm in
Dunedin, but apparently were are in for a slightly colder than normal
winter.

ChrisR

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

Thanks for the information Steve! I'm currently in the process of
setting up a Glide enabled version of I-war, so I'm looking forward to that.

Regards,
Chris.