Jack Thompson Threatens Newell Over HL2 Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

ianno3

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
I didn't know about this until this story. He is just garnering publicity for this thing that he is against. What a counter-productive idiot.

toastninja17

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Jack Thompson is nothing more than a troll on the video game/interactive entertainment industry. It makes me laugh, really. He's like a kid screaming for attention because he can't have candy, then argues about a new candy that's "dangerous" but has no ability whatsoever to do anything about it.

banthracis

Distinguished
In addition to playing HL2 Robert Steinhauser and Seung-Hi Cho, were addicts to O2, a highly toxic and reactive substance that they've been abusing for years! Therefor I demand that congress enact a ban O2 since intake of this substance obviously causes people to go on killing sprees.

Regards,
Banthracis

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
Thank you for making me aware of this mod Jack, I'm now going to download it and just think if you had kept your gob shut I may not have found out about it.

Twat. The guy gives Christians a bad name.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
"Given the fact that your company has the technological ability to stop the operation of School Shooter, you must undertake steps immediately to do so."

I'm not sure where he got this information... if you buy HL2 legally and then install the mod without ever connecting to the internet, how in the world is Valve supposed to stop it? Even with an internet connection, Valve has no legal right to stop people from installing the mod.

This letter should have gone to the developers of the mod not the president of Valve, he's just a publicity hound that wants more minutes in the spotlight, probably doesn't even care.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
LAWL! I bet this jerk will try to get someone to shut down the internet next... after all its used to provide the masacre mod with the bandwith it needs to run multiplayer.

By the "brilliant" logic of this malfunctioning brain i bet he also believes the isp's are evil too - providing a service much like halflife is providing a mod service that can be abused and henche its wrong dooing! Or many the electric company, they host the power service needed to run any violent games at all!

Tomshardware must be bothering to write about thoose lonies for the amusement factor. I bet alot of people are laughing their ass of just like me.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
You either know or should know that the more moral midgets who run Checkerboarded Studios have created a mod for your company's Half-Life
Well, that says it right there. Go after Checkerboard Studios Mr. Thompson, you know the ones that are responsible for the creation of this mod........

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]waylander[/nom]This letter should have gone to the developers of the mod not the president of Valve, he's just a publicity hound that wants more minutes in the spotlight, probably doesn't even care.[/citation]

Agreed, hope Valve sues this guy hard for slandering their reputation by pointing a finger at them and claim they support a massacre mod made by someone entierly else. Its like saying -GM, you are murdering people by making cars that can run people over when some drivers shouldn't been in the car at all!

secolliyn

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Alright I can't agree with his tactics at all and as far as JT doing this oh well he's a person with a point of view I'm sure all of us here at Toms do not agree with him totally but I do think most of us can agree that a school shooting mod for any game is is bad taste now i think jack is coming at this wrong and it should be us the users that tell them they shouldn't do this mod now im sure ill get flamed for posting this but all i ask is for people to give me the argument on the pro side for school shootings this mod in my own opinion should not be made and the higher ups at Valve should know this this mod is in bad taste

surfer1337dude

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
I never heard of this mod until now, and am slightly temped to try it. Thanks.
Although this does sound like a questionable game, no one should be allowed to limit the creativity that games have. They should have some way of regulating who gets it though. Either way I dont see Valve doing anything about this letter, nor do I think they should. But all of this comes from a permantly disbarred laywer.

Also if your serious about anything who puts a line like
I hate being right all the time.
in a letter? Also what are they planing on doing to Valve anyways, give them bad PR? Lets face it, Valve has nothing to fear (even a lawsuit wouldn't be to bad for them since it shows they will stand up for their community and if they loose, they only gain respect from gamers and the industry).

Stryter

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
Oh hell no! This guy is a grade-A douche with a capital bag! Who goes after a company who literally has nothing to do with what he's raging about? Gah! I despise lawyers like this guy. I am pretty sure there is a special part of Hell for people like him.

Hold your ground, Gabe!

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
I had a long response written, then it was deleted when I tried logging in to post it. So, due to THW's crap gui login that doesn't allow you to save passwords, here's the short version.

He lost his lawyer status for a reason. Anyone who thinks those shooting were due to games are idiotic and naive. They would have killed those people anyway, and it's a shame the "murder simulators" weren't good enough to satisfy their psychotic ambitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.