Jagged edges and poor quality

assassins119

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015
So i have this problem where the outline of thin objects far away look awful and look like there is no aa but that's not all when i move the pixels like move aswell it makes games unplayable.
I have tried forcing aa in ccc didn't work tried re-installing driver old and new. Don't really know what to do now. I want to know if it is my monitor or not. So if anyone would give me any advice on how to fix or troubleshoot this problem it would be greatly appreciated :)

My Specs:

Intel i5 4690k
8 GB ram
Msi r9 280

If you need anymore specs just say.

Tanner Fredrickson

Reputable
Feb 6, 2015
Post a screenshot (captured with the "print screen" button or similar screen capture software.)

I think it's very likely it's just lack of antialiasing. Forcing it in the CCC doesn't always work. More and more games are incompatible or only partially compatible with AA, as developers consider it a waste of time and performance in the new gorgeous deferred rendering engines, given the recent improvements of high quality Post AA.

Tanner Fredrickson

Reputable
Feb 6, 2015
Yeah, that's just lack of antialiasing. Even when it's turned on, it won't affect everything. Transparency textures like to escape, as do a few other things.

Nvidia users can set SSAA with a custom compatibility bit, or downsample, to get rid of the remaining jaggies. I haven't used an AMD card in a long time, so someone else will have to help you figure out if you have other ways to fix it.

I'm not sure what you mean by a weird font?

Tanner Fredrickson

Reputable
Feb 6, 2015
Whoever took those HD game screens also probably didn't have perfect antialiasing. It's a universal imperfection, not rare, just some people don't notice it.

Lack of antialiasing is always more noticeable when you move.

First, set AA in your CCC to "application controlled" or whichever option let's the game control it. CCC AA is only supposed to be used in certain circumstances, so it can actually break AA if forced everywhere.

You probably shouldn't switch cards just for this. It can be a lot of work on the Nvidia side as well, just I'm more familiar with it.

TallestJon96

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2014
What resolution are you playing at? What AA? I'm going to go ahead assuming you are doing 1080p, and have tried max AA.

Unfortunately, this is a fairly common thing. Anti aliasing doesn't deal with small, narrow objects well, and it can look like there is no AA or that only parts of the object are being displayed.

In my experience, the best way to deal with it is down sampling. Down sampling involves rendering the game at a higher resolution and then taking samples of it to create the image for your monitor. In a game like CS:GO you can do it without any trouble, but in more demanding games it saps performance very quickly. As a general rule, if you replace AA with down sampling performance will be 2-3 times lower. You rig could probably do CS:GO at 1080p over 200 FPS, so it's not a problem, but down sampling on something demanding like BF4 is almost insane.

Here is an article on downsampling:

http://www.tested.com/tech/pcs/454383-aliasing-be-gone-how-downsample-pc-games/

I own a GTX 970 and I can do any valve game like a da few older titles like BLOPS2 doe sampled from 4k to 1080p locked at 60fps or higher.

I don't know how downsampling on AMD cards works, but I believe it was added as an easy feature in the latest driver update. I recommend you try it, and see if it helps at all. It won't fix everything, and it will only work well in certain titles, but it's worth a shot at least.

Don't use any AA if you are downsampling, and don't try to do downsampling at anything other than 2x your monitors resolution. Good luck!

Tanner Fredrickson

Reputable
Feb 6, 2015
There are many things that can affect it.

-Playing at a higher resolution decreases jaggies obviously
-A poorly calibrated screen can make jaggies more noticeable
-Using a "premium" HDMI cable with a sharpen filter built in can make jaggies more noticeable
-Some games have better antialiasing than others
-Setting things wrong in the CCC can introduce jaggies or break a game's AA

-Using SMAA (free download) can decrease jaggies in most games but adds a tiny bit of blur
-Downsampling can increase clarity and reduce jaggies, but at the cost of a lot of performance
-Super Sample Antialiasing (SSAA) is the best form of AA and kills jaggies, but it can be hard or impossible to set up correctly, and still comes with a performance drop.

Tanner Fredrickson

Reputable
Feb 6, 2015
Nvidia and AMD are working on ways to make downsampling easier, but on most cards it's still not something I'd usually recommend for someone less experienced.

SMAA will get rid of additional jaggies, I use it in most games, but keep in mind it's not perfect and still won't handle fine geometry very well.

Consoles like the PS3 or Xbox One also run into the same problems with AA and jaggies, but it's easier to hide at TV distance.

Nothing gets rid of jaggies perfectly in every game... It's a pretty big issue for some people, while others don't notice or care.

Remember, if this problem seems bigger than it used to be, you can try putting your CCC AA settings back at default. Both Nvidia and AMD drivers give the player the option to override game AA, and if you get the settings wrong it can break AA entirely.

Reactions: ixDriger