Japan Leads Race To Build Next Particle Smasher

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]And now NASA is all but scrapped... Biggest mistake EVER. When I was a kid I was promised that I would be able to go to Mars in my lifetime, and once I have a discretionary income I will throw a bit of it at whoever can make that closer to a reality.[/citation]

Why do we need to live on an inhospitable planet? We haven't figured out how to live here. Whales are washing up dead on shore in nets, we're still testing nuclear missles to rain down hellfire on each other, we're steeped in religious superstition, we riot and destroy national artifacts when we should focus solely on those in power, etc. etc. etc.

I think Mars is a lucid dream that has little to no real value when compared to raising or quality of life. What boy isn't fascinated by the stars? I was. But it's time to grow up, pull your head out of the clouds and be a productive member of society. Try solving real world problems instead of blowing capital on dreams that are fruitless.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]thecolorblue[/nom]the US shoule fund this outright with no hesitation whatsoever. 10 billion is nothing... pshawUS Corporate Welfare Program Handouts:116 billion -- fannie mae71 billion --- freddie mac67 billion --- AIG67 billion --- GEneral motors45 billion --- Bank of America45 billion --- Citigroup25 billion --- JP Morgan CHASE16 billion --- GMAC / Ally Financial10 billion --- Chrysler...etc...B2 Bomber --- 2.4 billion eachAircraft Carrier -- 6.2 billion----where there is a will, there is the money[/citation]

Chrysler has already paid back its debt. Our stock market would have crashed without the bailout. Although I would have liked it if GM died, it was a sound decision on the gov's part.

Those B2 bombers help you sleep at night and they are already outdated.

Everything you listed is a reason NOT to spend money on this, and goes to show that we have other pressing matters we should be putting the money WE DON'T HAVE into.

G

[citation][nom]thecolorblue[/nom]the US shoule fund this outright with no hesitation whatsoever. 10 billion is nothing... pshawUS Corporate Welfare Program Handouts:116 billion -- fannie mae71 billion --- freddie mac67 billion --- AIG67 billion --- GEneral motors45 billion --- Bank of America45 billion --- Citigroup25 billion --- JP Morgan CHASE16 billion --- GMAC / Ally Financial10 billion --- Chrysler...etc...B2 Bomber --- 2.4 billion eachAircraft Carrier -- 6.2 billion----where there is a will, there is the money[/citation]
The sad part of the bank bailout is that when they received the bailout, they used the taxpayer money to lobby congress from stricter regulations. We may be living on a artificial recovery, that might one day become another deep recession, or depression.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
As long as we're buying Chinese products over our own, yes. We need to stop shopping at Walmart and return business to local mom and pops. We need to buy American made products whenever possible. We need to invest in education and lower our expectations. We need to cut back government and learn to save and be frugal as individuals. We need to return illegal immigrants to their homeland and stop making so many babies, there aren't enough resources to go around. I don't care what anyone says about that last one. It takes a crap ton to support one human being with a high quality of life. Anyone can sleep in the mud and eat a cup of rice. It may be sustainable, but it isn't living.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
We need to put more money towards research like this. Instead, we spend most of our money killing each other or paying people to sit on their butts all day. I love research. We need more of it! Yes, it's expensive today. It'll be even more expensive tomorrow. Don't put it off!

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]JonnyDough[/nom]Why do we need to live on an inhospitable planet? We haven't figured out how to live here. Whales are washing up dead on shore in nets, we're still testing nuclear missles to rain down hellfire on each other, we're steeped in religious superstition, we riot and destroy national artifacts when we should focus solely on those in power, etc. etc. etc.I think Mars is a lucid dream that has little to no real value when compared to raising or quality of life. What boy isn't fascinated by the stars? I was. But it's time to grow up, pull your head out of the clouds and be a productive member of society. Try solving real world problems instead of blowing capital on dreams that are fruitless.[/citation]

Europe had it's fair share of problems before it discovered the "new" world.

End result: Massive economic boom for the countries that took the risk*

* Except for the natives, and the wane of the colonization due to wars (Ex: French-Indian War, France lost almost all of its colonies) and uprisings (Ex: The 13 colonies, the Spanish colonies, and the Caribbeans)

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
[citation][nom]JonnyDough[/nom]As long as we're buying Chinese products over our own, yes. We need to stop shopping at Walmart and return business to local mom and pops. We need to buy American made products whenever possible. We need to invest in education and lower our expectations. We need to cut back government and learn to save and be frugal as individuals. We need to return illegal immigrants to their homeland and stop making so many babies, there aren't enough resources to go around. I don't care what anyone says about that last one. It takes a crap ton to support one human being with a high quality of life. Anyone can sleep in the mud and eat a cup of rice. It may be sustainable, but it isn't living.[/citation]
That is a horrible way of thinking, lets live in boxes while we are at it...

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]bigdragon[/nom]We need to put more money towards research like this. Instead, we spend most of our money killing each other or paying people to sit on their butts all day. I love research. We need more of it! Yes, it's expensive today. It'll be even more expensive tomorrow. Don't put it off![/citation]

Why will it be more expensive tomorrow? Blatant statements that make no sense by bigdragon!

Duckhunt

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
The atom smasher in europe was a failure. Its science gone mad. What did it acheive? They said it was not powerful enough.

Now we are told we need a bigger one? The japanese are so corrupt that they are building something that is a waste of time.

It could be spent on other reseach that is underfunde and provide long term career prospects for other R&D.

catswold

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Wow! The number of Luddites on this site is surprising . . . given that it is a technology site.

Yeah, we should all be living in caves and worrying about when the next predator is going to creep up and eat us . . . No! We should all be living in trees . . . yeah, that's the ticket. /rolleyes

You can spend all the money in the world, you will not get rid of poverty or end human suffering. It is a feckless, unreal pursuit.

You can spend a relatively small amount of money and advance human knowledge, proved a "New Frontier" that will ennoble mankind and provide a source of aspiration and advancement for all humans.

Visionaries are few and far between in this century. Everyone's too busy watching the next "star" or playing video games--living in their fantasy worlds.

tomaz99

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]How about we get North Korea and Iran to partake in an Atom Smasher race instead of nuclear arms. Throw in a few other troubled countries in the mix, as well.[/citation]

Yeah...having them strive for Antimatter would be much more beneficial than nukes...

tomaz99

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
[citation][nom]catswold[/nom]Wow! The number of Luddites on this site is surprising . . . given that it is a technology site.Yeah, we should all be living in caves and worrying about when the next predator is going to creep up and eat us . . . No! We should all be living in trees . . . yeah, that's the ticket. /rolleyes You can spend all the money in the world, you will not get rid of poverty or end human suffering. It is a feckless, unreal pursuit.You can spend a relatively small amount of money and advance human knowledge, proved a "New Frontier" that will ennoble mankind and provide a source of aspiration and advancement for all humans.Visionaries are few and far between in this century. Everyone's too busy watching the next "star" or playing video games--living in their fantasy worlds.[/citation]

You don't need to spend all the money in the world to end poverty; it only takes a little. The problem is when "other" people get involved in the transactions. NPO 'fees', warlords, gov't 'regulations', etc...starving people are left with little. The children with swollen bellies don't care about advancing human knowledge, their focus is on the immediate...

Everyone has their favorite project to spend "other" peoples money on

I'm all for particle accelerators being sold at wal-mart...if the free market deems it economically viable; i.e. if you can get those evil bankers to invest :)

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]brickman[/nom]Now theres a particle smasher race? One country will build one so big that will destroy us all![/citation]
I read your other comment stating that you were being sarcastic, but I'd just like to point out that to create a Black Hole requires a very large mass to avoid immediately radiating it all away (see Hawking Radiation). So unless we build a collider that smashes planet-sized object together at near the speed of light, we don't really have much to worry about.

jay_nar2012

Distinguished
If a black hole is made in a particle smasher it evaporates straight away as it loses more mass then it gains (Hawking Radiation), it lasts less then a second and they will be small.

sunny420

Honorable
Nov 16, 2012
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]In the 1960's, the US had other stuff to focus on instead of creating NASA.Today, we enjoy at least dozens of different technologies pioneered by NASA.[/citation]

The US had no nuclear fallout problems in the 1960's, we were on the attack not recoiling from devastation.

Mybe its just me... but isnt Japan like in the worst possible location geologicly speaking to build such a thing?
I mean, the earthquakes and tsunamies they get will most likely destabilize the damn thing before its even done (and im quite sure that at that level of precision even a small quake will f*** things up).

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006

Assuming, of course, it does not end up in a zone where shear forces cross the path and one part of the ring ends up six feet lower than the other part.

Status
Not open for further replies.