Japan Leads Race To Build Next Particle Smasher

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
The real problem is putting a pricetag on science and exploration. It's bad enough what it'll cost to RUN the place if/when it's built... But good grief... Help em out with building it...

Particle Colliders are how we see inside things we can't see. Inside adoms/neutrons/electrons/etc. We're finding out that the smaller we go, the more there is that we though was the end-all of our search... It just keeps going. The Atom, then the quark, and on and on... It's all about learning. Though I'm a bit surprised Japan actually put in for it considering the space it will take and how little they have... strange.

G

Now theres a particle smasher race? One country will build one so big that will destroy us all!

catswold

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Yeah the great unwashed masses have the intellectual curiosity of an ant. We almost had a super collider (the SSC) in Texas, but the morons in Congress decided it cost too much. It would have eclipsed even the LHC, with a loop of 87 kilometers and energy level of 20 TeV.

Thanks God we have a Congress that would rather spend money on propping up giant banks and corporations . . . Heaven forbid we actually spend money improving knowledge and education. /sarc

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]catswold[/nom]Yeah the great unwashed masses have the intellectual curiosity of an ant. We almost had a super collider (the SSC) in Texas, but the morons in Congress decided it cost too much. It would have eclipsed even the LHC, with a loop of 87 kilometers and energy level of 20 TeV.Thanks God we have a Congress that would rather spend money on propping up giant banks and corporations . . . Heaven forbid we actually spend money improving knowledge and education. /sarc[/citation]
Well to be fair those banks and corporation pay those politicians very well to have them protect their way of business and to keep them alive. BTW I am not being serious and I do believe that saying that advancing our knowledge is too expensive when they are wasting more and getting less is stupid.

neoverdugo

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
To be honest, I'd prefer to invest money on this type of research than wasting them on warfare and saving the rotten asses of murderous bankers

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]freiheitner[/nom]And the benefit of spending billions on this particle smasher is... what?[/citation]

1970's

And the benefit of developing a computer with a GUI, connection with other networks of computers and an 8-bit sound system is... what?

1960's

And the benefit of developing transistors when vacuum tubes are perfectly sufficient is... what?

1900's

And the benefit of developing computers based on vacuum tubes are perfectly sufficient is... what?

1850's

And the benefit of developing a mechanical computer and the first programming language is... what?

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]TheBigTroll[/nom]why in japan? earthqaukes are pretty common there. could cause some serious troubles[/citation]

As long as they don't use pure-concrete construction (lots of schools in earthquake-prone areas in China were built with little steel; concrete lost big time), it'll be fine.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]brickman[/nom]Now theres a particle smasher race? One country will build one so big that will destroy us all![/citation]

We have built over 27,000 particle accelerators, and only about 1% is used for research (most are used for medical/industrial). None of them have created a black hole yet.

G

TheBigTroll is right, a 9.0+ magnitude earthquake is always a possibility in Japan, and particle smashers are too delicate to withstand such an earthquake, especially if it's running at the time... Frankly, any earthquake prone region should be banned from using Nuclear energy as well, it's just too risky.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]sunny420[/nom]Japan has a lot more to focus on than building a particle smasher.[/citation]

In the 1960's, the US had other stuff to focus on instead of creating NASA.

Today, we enjoy at least dozens of different technologies pioneered by NASA.

manitoublack

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]catswold[/nom]Thanks God we have a Congress that would rather spend money on propping up giant banks and corporations . . . Heaven forbid we actually spend money improving knowledge and education. /sarc[/citation]

Don't Mention the War

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
How about we get North Korea and Iran to partake in an Atom Smasher race instead of nuclear arms. Throw in a few other troubled countries in the mix, as well.

[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]In the 1960's, the US had other stuff to focus on instead of creating NASA.Today, we enjoy at least dozens of different technologies pioneered by NASA.[/citation]
And now NASA is all but scrapped... Biggest mistake EVER. When I was a kid I was promised that I would be able to go to Mars in my lifetime, and once I have a discretionary income I will throw a bit of it at whoever can make that closer to a reality.

deepblue08

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
[citation][nom]TheBigTroll[/nom]why in japan? earthqaukes are pretty common there. could cause some serious troubles[/citation]

Exactly! One of the most dangerous projects will get built in a place with the most earthquakes? Please, they couldn't even handle a nuclear reactor.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
the US shoule fund this outright with no hesitation whatsoever. 10 billion is nothing... pshaw

US Corporate Welfare Program Handouts:
116 billion -- fannie mae
71 billion --- freddie mac
67 billion --- AIG
67 billion --- GEneral motors
45 billion --- Bank of America
45 billion --- Citigroup
25 billion --- JP Morgan CHASE
16 billion --- GMAC / Ally Financial
10 billion --- Chrysler
...etc...

B2 Bomber --- 2.4 billion each
Aircraft Carrier -- 6.2 billion

----
where there is a will, there is the money

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]brickman[/nom]Now theres a particle smasher race? One country will build one so big that will destroy us all![/citation]
do you really believe that?

look up cosmic ray head on collisions to put your troubled mind to rest

G

[citation][nom]thecolorblue[/nom]do you really believe that?look up cosmic ray head on collisions to put your troubled mind to rest[/citation]

Sarcasm, some can not tell ;)

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]freiheitner[/nom]And the benefit of spending billions on this particle smasher is... what?[/citation]

Expansion of human knowledge.

More knowledge means a better humanity. No better benefit possible.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]thecolorblue[/nom] *Depression creating list* [/citation]

This list makes me sad to see. The US could easily fund every major scientific undertaking going on with that money.

But no, the "job creators" need their cuts!

Status
Not open for further replies.