Question JBL Soundbar and Sub turn off after 1 second of no sound

Mimas

Commendable
May 31, 2022
Before you read, yes I have posted about this before, and completely forgot. Sorry, lol.

Hi,
I have a JBL soundbar and subwoofer. The model number is JBL 3.1-T.

I have had this problem since I bought the speaker 2 years ago, and have off and on spoken with jbl tech support, to no avail. So, this speaker has a built in mechanism that causes it to enter a "power saving mod" and shut off whenever it doesn't detect sound. As far as I understand, this is only supposed to happen if no sound is detected after 10 minutes or so. This is not the case for me.

I tried to time it, and as far as I can tell, after 0.2 seconds of not detecting sound, my speaker will shut off and will not turn back on until sound is detected again. Once it turns back on, their is a brief, maybe 0.5 second window where the system is powering back on before it actually produced sound again. When it powers back on, the letters "PCM" appear on the speaker. So, say I am playing a video game and I pause the game. Since the sound stops when you pause, my speaker turns off, then when I unpause, I lose the first half second of sound while the speaker turns back on. This does not just happen with games, but videos, movies, even navigating console menus. As you can imagine, with a quiet movie, or a game where sound only plays every once in a while, or a video where there is no background noise, just the person talking, my speaker turns off CONSTANTLY, and I miss the little bit of audio when it turns back on.

Like I said, I have tried talking with tech support, but they have simply told me to purchase a new system. So, I don't know what to do here. Any ideas?

If you need more information, please let me know.