'JellyFish’ Sighting: Adata's Liquid-Cooled Memory Spotted At PAX East 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giroro

Splendid
Has Tom's ever tested a stick of RAM that actually needed additional cooling? I was under the impression that even a basic heat spreader on RAM isn't actually necessary, it just makes it look better.

btmedic04

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2015

back in the athlon 64 days, i had a kit of ocz gold vx ddr 500 that needed heat spreaders. that 3.3v requirement made that kit run HOT.

regardless if this kit actually needs these heat spreaders, its still a pretty cool concept and i hope to see them come to market

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

From everything I've read RAM hasn't even really needed heatspreaders for the most part (let alone liquid cooling) since DDR3. So yes, this liquid cooled memory is entirely about aesthetics.

KD_Gaming

Commendable
Nov 7, 2016
.... your both a bit wrong.. stock speed ram or even semi OC ram does not need these. But if your actually pushing them much harder and raising the voltage up alot. The extra cooling will provide better stability.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

We have DDR4 that can go as high as 5 GHz on air:
https://www.techpowerup.com/242776/g-skill-achieves-dual-channel-ddr4-5000-mhz-memory-speed-on-air-cooling

Even at the rated speed of 4700 MHz for that RAM, voltage is only at 1.45V, which would indicate that power might only be around the level of stock DDR3. I imagine at those kind of extremes it's as much or more about getting high quality DRAM chips than it is about what cooling the stick has. And how many people are pushing their RAM that hard in the first place?

Seems to me that liquid cooling DDR4 is probably useless (for performance) 99.99% of the time...

Apr 16, 2018
One more competitive option in OC Ram market sounds good.
Keen & Open mind in looking for new cool ram eventhough it might be about aesthetics.
Can't wait to test on my MSi mobo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS