News Jensen Huang and Lisa Su Family Tree Shows How Closely They Are Related

Uh... I have to sincerely ask: why is this information ok to share so openly?

It feels a tad creepy to do so.

It's cool to know they're related by blood to some degree, but isn't this a bit too much?

Regards.

Can't disagree with you, honestly speaking. This is more like a "personal" type of thing, rather than being a public info/news to be published on tech sites. But some may disagree.

To each their own, I guess.

GustavoVanni

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2013
It's not completely surprising they'd be distant relatives, after all Taiwan is a small place and Taiwanese Han people came from a relatively non-diverse group of immigrants (e.g. largely Hokkien).

So based on this small geographical region, the extent and degree of separation between people like them should be fairly small in general, IMO.
Are you some sort of AI bot?
There's at least one comment made by you in about every article here at Tom's.
And you always seem to have above average knowledge about any subject. Impressive stuff. :)

ottonis

Reputable
Jun 10, 2020
It's not completely surprising they'd be distant relatives, after all Taiwan is a small place and Taiwanese Han people came from a relatively non-diverse group of immigrants (e.g. largely Hokkien).

So based on this small geographical region, the extent and degree of separation between people like them should be fairly small in general, IMO.

With all due respect, Taiwan has a population of 23 nillion people, which is in the same ballpark as Australia, Chile, Cameroon or North Korea.

ottonis

Reputable
Jun 10, 2020

It's cool to know they're related by blood to some degree, but isn't this a bit too much?

Regards.

No, both are extremely famous public figures, so there is of course a public interest. You wouldn't complain if someone disclosed Sophia Coppola and Nick Cage were cousins, would you?

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Not only that, but it was probably a rather small subset of society that could afford to send their kids abroad, for education and work had the means and ambition to move their families to the US, at that time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Metal Messiah.

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022

Regards.
The creepy thing is that the CEO of two of the world's biggest tech companies are directly related, not that people report on it.

On a Taiwanese population of 23 million, the chance of thing being some coincidence is 0.

So what is going on here.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

I don't know about Taiwan, but I think birth and death records are public, in most countries. For a long time now, these have been compiled into massive genealogical databases.

I think it's pretty funny when people talk about being a distant descendant of someone famous. Within the same number of generations or less, they probably also have criminals and other bad people in their lineage, but they conveniently ignore those ancestors. Plus, the rate at which "good genes" dissipate probably makes a relation beyond that of cousin effectively worthless at predicting genetic predisposition. Heck, plenty of siblings are different enough in their abilities, not to mention cousins.

No, both are extremely famous public figures, so there is of course a public interest. You wouldn't complain if someone disclosed Sophia Coppola and Nick Cage were cousins, would you?
Yes, I would find that creepy.

Public figures or not, that is information not pertinent to their field of work or relevant to anyone out in the public.

Regards.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
The creepy thing is that the CEO of two of the world's biggest tech companies are directly related, not that people report on it.

On a Taiwanese population of 23 million, the chance of thing being some coincidence is 0.

So what is going on here.
The high-achievers in society aren't picked at random - we all know it usually takes ability, drive, means, values, and sometimes connections to succeed in life - all things that tend to run in families.

It's also not up to random chance what fields they went into. Taiwan clearly valued high tech, as you can tell by how well the small island has succeeded in achieving a completely outsized influence in that industry. For generations, many of their best and brightest have probably gotten steered in that direction.

Often, events are less coincidental than they seem. If you understand the true odds of an event, it has the contrary effect of making a conspiracy seem that much less likely.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Now we have a much clearer picture of how closely related the pair of PC tech titans are, thanks to the work of senior media person and family heritage researcher Wu Jia Jin, host of Jin Chat.
BTW, I'm sure this isn't news. I first heard of it probably about 5 years ago. The only new thing might be how much of the rest of their family tree got filled in.

shady28

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007

They are hardly distantly related.

Jensen's grandfather - who he likely visited often given their culture - was Lisa Su's great grandfather (and she also likely visited her great grandfather). In an Asian family, it would be entirely normal for 3 generations to even live in the same house, so one might even grow up with the grandparents. I doubt this line of wealthy people needed to do that though.

Jensen would be one of Su's mothers first cousins. I know all of my first cousins, met them many many times when I was younger. I find it almost 100% certain that these two met each other at family events long before they became CEOs of the only two relevant GPU companies in the world (discounting Intel, for now).

So Lisa Su and Jensen Huang are quite closely related for them to occupy the positions they hold in 'competing' companies.

Reactions: Makaveli

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
They are hardly distantly related.
In terms of shared genes, it's surely less consequential than having a lineage deeply-rooted in the same city/region.

Jensen's grandfather - who he likely visited often given their culture - was Lisa Su's great grandfather (and she also likely visited her great grandfather). In an Asian family, it would be entirely normal for 3 generations to even live in the same house, so one might even grow up with the grandparents. I doubt this line of wealthy people needed to do that though.
According to the article, he had 12 kids. Unless you lived in a giant compound, that would be a madhouse to have all 3 generations there.

Jensen would be one of Su's mothers first cousins. I know all of my first cousins, met them many many times when I was younger.
My mom talks about her cousins, sometimes, though I sort of doubt she keeps in touch with all of them. I barely remember my dad ever mentioning his cousins. He has 5 siblings, though. Maybe, when you have more siblings, you don't focus so much on your cousins.

What I wonder is this: if Jensen had 11 aunts and uncles, on his maternal side alone, how many cousins did he have?? Could you possibly even keep track of like 30 cousins, much less their kids??

I find it almost 100% certain that these two met each other at family events long before they became CEOs of the only two relevant GPU companies in the world (discounting Intel, for now).
Did you see the part of the article where their families moved to different states in the US, when they were little? How many family events do you think they were both at? Again, we're talking about their shared ancestor having 12 kids and the extended family being split across continents. Flying an entire family between US and Taiwan surely wasn't cheap!

So Lisa Su and Jensen Huang are quite closely related for them to occupy the positions they hold in 'competing' companies.
Yeah, it's an interesting coincidence. However, if you read their career histories, it really doesn't seem like any more than that. They both started as engineers. Lisa seemed to stay on that technical track much longer than Jensen.

I can't imagine AMD's board even considering their relationship, when deciding to make her CEO. I'd be very surprised if they even knew, because probably almost nobody had even heard of her, before she got the job. So, it's not something probably anyone even looked into.

Greatness tends to run in families, for all sorts of reasons. When you find someone extremely accomplished in their field, they often have a couple high-performing siblings in other fields. That they happened to be in the same field isn't that surprising (for reasons I mentioned above), nor is the success they had.

Last edited:

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
According to the article, he had 12 kids. Unless you lived in a giant compound, that would be a madhouse to have all 3 generations there.
As somebody who's family grew up in Taiwan, that's not impossible.

Especially back during the 1950's - 1990's.

Having 3x Generations in the same Multi-Story home is quite common.

When I was little, my family literally had that exact same setup.

We all lived in a 4-5 story thin Town House that was about 2-3 Standard US Car Garage widths wide.

The general rule is that the older you are, the lower floor you get to live on.

The younger you are, the higher floor you must live on.

This makes it easier on the joints for the older folks who have to climb stairs.

Generally the older folks don't climb stairs unless it was necessary, they just yelled or hollared for the younger ones to come down the stairs.

Last edited: