Question Jitter Spikes (100-1000ms!) 100% packet loss second hop!

Jul 25, 2019
So i just recently just started live-streaming to facebook about 3 months ago. first 2 months everything was fine, id say the past 3 weeks i’ve had spikes like this. what’s even more crazy is i’m on a WIRED connection when running the test. however i go off the wifi and am getting the EXACT same jitter spikes through my cell phone carrier (AT&T) internet is through antietam cable. i am running a PingPlotter and on the 2nd hop it is showing 100% packet loss on the Facebook server i’m connecting to. It has to be more then just facebook for my connection to be like this!

Jul 25, 2019
the spikes on my ISP are anywhere from 200-1000 constant spikes, and it is the EXACT same spikes when i’m on my cell phone provider! (AT&T) it’s been going on for 3 weeks now! please help!

First be very sure that you do not have 2 router devices inside your house. Hop2 for most people with only a single router represents the connection between your house and the ISP.

There is a slim chance it is your modem so if you can access the modem check the logs for anything unusual.

In most cases a bad connection to your house shows packet loss not delays. Delays only occur if data is being buffered by some device. In wifi this is very common because unlike other connection types it re transmits damaged data. Other technology just discards damaged data....which is why you get packet loss rather than delay.

You could get data buffered if you are over utilizing your internet connection. The ISP is very "helpful" and will put data in memory buffers for small overages. This is called bufferbloat and mostly hurts games, other communication it mostly helps.

If you are not over using your connection then there is the possibility that a bunch of your neighbor are. The connection to your house is shared when you use cable. This is not as much a issue lately since the capacity of these networks is so large now days.

In any case I would redo your tests with normal ping commands showing no delays to your router and delays to the ISP router. You can then call the ISP and see if they will help. You might get lucky and get a tech that understand ping/tracert but pingplot will just confuse many first level techs. Most just follow the script they are provided.

Reactions: clayS
Jul 25, 2019
so what would you recommend for neighbors sucking up all the bandwith? i’m almost 110% that’s what it is. when i goto download a update for a game speeds only get 130 140 tips (paying for 200) however it also drops down to 15 30 45 download as well.. wired connection. and it’s not even like it’s certain times of the day, it is a constant ping/jitter spike. the jitter doesn’t go under 100 and today i had a jitter spike of 3000!! ping is also at a steady 125-400!! i feel like ever since we upgraded it’s only got worse! ( 3 weeks ) they have NOT provided the service advertised what so ever! only thing that is good is the download and upload on a speed test. but when it comes to downloading and uploading it’s horrible.. it just started happening this past month more then ever. before the upgrade, the internet would drop ( i believe high cpu was causing it to crash ) now it’s the bandwith getting sucked! they are screwig us bad!!!

Jul 25, 2019
also it’s not only the ISP it’s my phone carrier to. when i’m not on wifi the exact same ping spikes are happening. i know they eventually could cross paths but it is just getting old! someone is congesting the network!

The ISP will never admit they have oversold the network. They can/will always point to the clause that says " UP TO" for speeds.
If it does not get better in the middle of the night I would be surprised. Most load related stuff happens during prime time.

Not sure what to suggest after rereading your post the loss in hop2 means nothing other than the device is configured to no respond. Unfortunately that means you don't know if the device is causing issues or not.

I would manually run pings and try to find the hop that is causing all the extra latency. If it was hop 2 hop 3 will also show the problem. What you need to find is the first hop that it starts at and then continues to the end of the trace. like hop2 you need to be careful with what you assume based on intermediate nodes. If hop 2 was really losing all the traffic you would have no internet service so obviously traffic must pass hop 2.

The goal is to try to collect enough data to talk to the ISP. They might have some equipment that is bad and if you show them what to ping they maybe able to see the same results from their end.

Jul 25, 2019
Hop 2 says request timed out, however i timed it twice, its taking average 12-14 seconds between before hoping to hop 3. that is what is causing the latency correct?

Jul 25, 2019
also it does not matter the time of day, these spikes are non-stop and constant. just checked the download speed and it was around 90 (pay for Up to 200) and the ping/jitter is still the same. it looks like its drawing a mountin thats how contant they are. i really do not get it. same with my cell service, high ping/jitter spikes. its making videos blurry, as well my stream, it even gets worse when i go live. i personally think its intenional.

Jul 25, 2019
also it does not matter the time of day, these spikes are non-stop and constant. just checked the download speed and it was around 90 (pay for Up to 200) and the ping/jitter is still the same. it looks like its drawing a mountin thats how contant they are. i really do not get it. same with my cell service, high ping/jitter spikes. its making videos blurry, as well my stream, it even gets worse when i go live. i personally think its intenional.

Buffer bloat is caused by file downloads. The ISP attempt to prevent traffic loss by storing data for a short time in a buffer. This is a good thing for everything except games. File transfers and everything else that transfers data like web pages have to resent the data if it is lost. A little delay is much better than the delay if the application must do retransmission.

Game would rather lose a data point rather than have random delays since this is used for in game timing.

The key thing is unless you are exceeding you bandwidth the data is sent immediately and not buffered.

Maybe your problem is that you are exceeding the upload bandwidth. This type of bufferbloat you have full control over. But again if you are not exceeding the bandwidth no data is being buffered.

Now the key thing you point out in your later posts is this happens on 2 different internet providers using 2 very different technology. I would be more suspect of software on your machine in this case....even though it is very strange you do not see the ping spikes to your local router.