Honorable
Apr 3, 2012
bbbb.jpg
This game is so bloody, 18+ prohibited
bbll.jpg

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
I'm so sick of shooters. They saturated the market with them - most of which are brainless.
What happened to proper adventure games and scifi games that spur the imagination and prompt one to use their brain?
Granted, there are a few shooters that incorporate a good story and some thinking, but those are rare.

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
[citation][nom]deksman[/nom]I'm so sick of shooters. They saturated the market with them - most of which are brainless.What happened to proper adventure games and scifi games that spur the imagination and prompt one to use their brain?Granted, there are a few shooters that incorporate a good story and some thinking, but those are rare.[/citation]

It's called a shooter for a reason. If it moves you shoot it. That's like saying "I'm so sick of RPGs because I have to play a role."

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
I agree that This is cool because of the legendary programmer working on the new game but another FPS really? I dont think we need any more FPS unless its not a COD\BF clone then Im all for it. But if its a clone then GTFO.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Ive had an idea for a game that hasnt really been taken advantage of but I have no money or ability to model 3d objects or skin and very little programming skill. Alas I'll never see my game made unless I give away the idea and someone actually takes it seriously and doesnt flame me off the face of the planet.

[edit] to be clear I wasnt mocking Romero I was speaking personally. The closest Ive seen to my idea for a game was borderlands but even that was a long way off from what I wanted to do [/edit]

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Romero and Carmack are apparently household names now, but does anyone remember Michael Abrash? Of all the former iD guys to get excited about, he's the one I'd gush about.

shloader

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
"I've learned my lesson about talking too soon about specific game features and release dates"

So... not another Daikatana. Check. Well good, wish him the best of luck. I think he's due another chance to really succeed. He's toiled in relative obscurity long enough.

fudoka711

Distinguished
[citation][nom]deksman[/nom]I'm so sick of shooters. They saturated the market with them - most of which are brainless.What happened to proper adventure games and scifi games that spur the imagination and prompt one to use their brain?Granted, there are a few shooters that incorporate a good story and some thinking, but those are rare.[/citation]

So go play Mass Effect. You get a little of both. There's other games that combine the two genre's as well. Your options aren't actually that limited and those "rare" great shooters aren't so rare afterall.

And there are good shooters, and not so good shooters. Think BF3 vs MW3 (we all know BF3 is better). Or the original counter strike.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Romero's time is over....
Unless he got over his arrogance, and can put together a good team to build a good game.
The time of lone wolf programmers putting out good games is long over. You need to have teams of specialized folks now to put something out that is worthy of our ATI 7k computers....
So, hopefully, this guy now has organizational/leadership skills under his belt or its gonna flop....
=D

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I think the next big genre will be the MMOFPS. In fact, I think most of the players playing MMORPGs want more FPS action and less RP (though they do want some), and will find the answer to their MMO dreams in an First Person Shooter oriented game.

Borderlands is an excellent example of what I'm talking about, and BL 2 (BLT as some of us like to say), coming out in September, will be even more so. BL isn't an MMO, its multiplayer is limited to 4 players, but the developers of the game are now using the term "Roleplaying Shooter" - RPS - to describe it and I think it fits.

So, I think Romero is on the right track, assuming, as some of you have said, he can put a serious and talented team together to do it.

;)

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
I think it might actually have been largely John Carmack's fault that Daikatana failed, and I think John Carmack may have intentionally done it to teach John Romero a lesson.

murdoc

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
This concept isn't so revolutionary anymore. As mentioned, games like Borderlands, Monday Night combat and even TF2 to some extent are evolving into similar level to get item or improve skill type gameplay.

Fallout, incorporates RPG into shooters. If they made an online version, it would've been MMO. There are also FPS real-time strategy like Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare. And for silly shooters, there's shank and Gotham City Impostors.

The FPS genre is pretty much mashed with every other type of gameplay out there. There are also vice versa scenarios like commandos (RTS-FPS).

It's filled. Now it's the battle of the physics engine and graphics and realism or creativity in the case of TF2.

John Carmack has put a great challenge upon himself. Either his idea is THAT STUNNING or it will ultimately fail.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
Let's face the facts , Of all the games this guy ahs under his name and belt, the vast majority of them are from 20 years ago, and let's not even go near Daiktana. I seriously doubt this guy has any ideas that are relevant or would be unique to gaming today.

I'm so sick of hearing about all the big name game designers that are riding on past history of sucess that is decades old. IF they were really relevant, they'd have more reccent sucessful titles instead of failures or unmentioned games. Hell carmack is also still riding on the doom series his failure to empress with Rage is a testement to that. Game design is by its very nature a TEAM endevor, I'm sick of these show pony designers slapping their names on a game that has outdated ideals and getting lauded for it , when they didn't even do most the work. It's time for individual recognition to die . because 1. It's unprofessional, 2. no one person can produce a triple A game by them selves these days. and 3. it's insulting to the other 50 or so artist,animators and coders that busted their humps working on a game.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]murdoc[/nom]This concept isn't so revolutionary anymore. As mentioned, games like Borderlands, Monday Night combat and even TF2 to some extent are evolving into similar level to get item or improve skill type gameplay.Fallout, incorporates RPG into shooters. If they made an online version, it would've been MMO. There are also FPS real-time strategy like Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare. And for silly shooters, there's shank and Gotham City Impostors.The FPS genre is pretty much mashed with every other type of gameplay out there. There are also vice versa scenarios like commandos (RTS-FPS).It's filled. Now it's the battle of the physics engine and graphics and realism or creativity in the case of TF2. John Carmack has put a great challenge upon himself. Either his idea is THAT STUNNING or it will ultimately fail.[/citation]

Fallout doesnt put prg into FPS dummy , fallout 3 and NV put FPSer into an rpg and honestly you can still play the game entirely in 3rd person too so not the best example of genre mashing , the game is definitely more RPG by a long shot with a option to use a FPSer view.

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]gncd[/nom]give the guy a chance. he might bring something nice to the FPS genre.[/citation]
id Software
Ion Storm
Monkeystone Games
Midway Games
Slipgate Ironworks
Cyberathlete Professional League
Retro Gamer Collaboration
Gamesauce

How many more chances? The cat's had his nine.

vittau

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
Daikatana wasn't that bad, if you don't go into it expecting a miracle from all those years in development hell.

G

let's play fair here
Romero had his name connected with other games as well, however yes it really happened way back now

so only from around 2000

Shadowcaster was good
Heretic was good
Anachronox was fine
Deus Ex is good enough as a reference for me

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]DroKing[/nom]I agree that This is cool because of the legendary programmer working on the new game but another FPS really? I dont think we need any more FPS unless its not a COD\BF clone then Im all for it. But if its a clone then GTFO.[/citation]
hes the guy that pioneered the FPS genre. all FPS games are basically riding of the success train he started. even CoD and BF. and we have yet to see good games like the original doom and quake for some reason. if anyone in the gaming industry has the right to do anything he wants and not be called a clone, its him.

Im all up for another doom-like game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS