[SOLVED] Jonsbo C2 SFF ITX case PSU orientation help

mattnicholas.art

Honorable
May 16, 2018
Hi, I have a new build mini-ITX in a Jonsbo C2 case (core i3 10100) - it runs great but a little hot on idle (40c-45c) considering there's no dedicated GPU. I have a SFX PSU (Corsair SF450) but it's currently oriented with the fan side facing the CPU cooler fan - could this be impeding the cooler performance? i.e competing for air with the cooler? Or would it be best to flip the PSU upside-down so the fan is facing the side of the case (with about a 1-2cm gap between it and the wall)? I understand the PSU doesn't even spin up until it reaches 50% load so this may be a non-issue as my needs are currently low. Regardless, if I flipped the PSU the other way it would also increase the central chamber gap where air can pass through. I'll try a switcharound anyway, but would be interested to know anyone's thoughts on this, if they have a similar setup. Thanks.

Solution
This chassis, huh? https://www.jonsbo.com/en/products/c2black.html
My thoughts:
How how does it get under load? Idle doesn't matter.
Where's the ventilation? I see practically none. It's sealed just about everywhere, except the rear and the bottom, and it probably would get worse with a gpu in there.
You're forced to use low profile cpu coolers - you're probably using the stock Intel cooler, which are already so-so...
With the little ventilation that does get into the chassis, the Intel cooler and psu(fan spins up depending on it's temperature) end up fighting for the little bit that does get in there...
Because the rear is the only inlet/outlet, the heat that does come off the Intel cooler doesn't get out effectively.

You...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
This chassis, huh? https://www.jonsbo.com/en/products/c2black.html
My thoughts:
How how does it get under load? Idle doesn't matter.
Where's the ventilation? I see practically none. It's sealed just about everywhere, except the rear and the bottom, and it probably would get worse with a gpu in there.
You're forced to use low profile cpu coolers - you're probably using the stock Intel cooler, which are already so-so...
With the little ventilation that does get into the chassis, the Intel cooler and psu(fan spins up depending on it's temperature) end up fighting for the little bit that does get in there...
Because the rear is the only inlet/outlet, the heat that does come off the Intel cooler doesn't get out effectively.

You already know flipping the psu won't work in the long run...

Summary: What you're getting now would be normal.
What can you do now? What do you want to do with it?
In regards to cooling, there's little you can do here to drastically change thermals that doesn't involve replacing the chassis; cooling efficiency is linked to what the chassis allows through it.
As long as the cpu isn't running 85C+ during use, then roll with it. This config isn't for anything heavy-duty, right?

Solution