Judge Says Rambus Destroyed Evidence, But Patents Valid

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]blurr91[/nom]Rambus, the original patent troll. In fact, Rambus should sue Apple for stealing its idea.[/citation]What idea? I couldnt not think any but the style Rambus use to sue its competitor.

greghome

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
If they had played nice back then, their special RAMs would have taken over the market and they could have made more money via patents than with patent trolling now....... :p

just my 2 cents

G

This is the ___th time that RAMBUS destroyed its own evidence.

echondo

Honorable
May 29, 2012
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]What idea? I couldnt not think any but the style Rambus use to sue its competitor.[/citation]

I believe blurr91 is talking about the idea of Apple blatantly suing anyone and everyone over nothing, which is what is happening here.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
What's sad is this started out as a legitimate issue. Rambus just decided to turn it into their main revenue stream, this is what Apple is turning into.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]blurr91[/nom]Rambus, the original patent troll. In fact, Rambus should sue Apple for stealing its idea.[/citation]

IBM has already patented the process of patent trolling.

[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]IBM has already patented the process of patent trolling.[/citation]

Right... the company which invests the most capital in R&D and has been granted the most US patents annually for nearly two decades straight has no right at all to derive income from said R&D.

rodbowler

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
Perhaps if Rambus had been stopped early on, we'd have less patent trolling in general? Think of a world where business has to produce a good product to prosper, as opposed to draining money from their competitors via lawyers.

aggroboy

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
[citation][nom]pinhedd[/nom]Right... the company which invests the most capital in R&D and has been granted the most US patents annually for nearly two decades straight has no right at all to derive income from said R&D.[/citation]
they would also patent the most common or vague of concepts

[citation][nom]aggroboy[/nom]they would also patent the most common or vague of concepts[/citation]

You mean like The ATM, the floppy disk, the hard disk, the magnetic stripe, the UPC, DRAM, VRAM (not to be confused with SGRAM) the modern RISC architecture, PowerPC, the relational database, the 8 bit byte (not a patent, but they were the first to use it in a standard fashion), high availability computers and mainframes, navigation computers, virtualization, hardware cryptography, RAID-5, the Industry Standard Architecture, The IBM PC and AT formfactor, etc...

They didn't exactly wholly invent or patent every single one of those but whatever, something something innovation is dead because of patents amirite?

While we're at it lets just completely disregard their research on power efficiency, reliability, scalability and supercomputers, nanotechnology, quantum computing, storage and IO, their massive contributions to the Linux kernel and other free projects

Yes, definitely a patent troll that just patents useless junk

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]pinhedd[/nom]You mean like The ATM, the floppy disk, the hard disk, the magnetic stripe, the UPC, DRAM, VRAM (not to be confused with SGRAM) the modern RISC architecture, PowerPC, the relational database, the 8 bit byte (not a patent, but they were the first to use it in a standard fashion), high availability computers and mainframes, navigation computers, virtualization, hardware cryptography, RAID-5, the Industry Standard Architecture, The IBM PC and AT formfactor, etc...They didn't exactly wholly invent or patent every single one of those but whatever, something something innovation is dead because of patents amirite?While we're at it lets just completely disregard their research on power efficiency, reliability, scalability and supercomputers, nanotechnology, quantum computing, storage and IO, their massive contributions to the Linux kernel and other free projectsYes, definitely a patent troll that just patents useless junk[/citation]

though i agree with you, i also have to point out that not ever pattent is useful, if they were all pure gold, well... you can kind of see where i was going with that.

[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]though i agree with you, i also have to point out that not ever pattent is useful, if they were all pure gold, well... you can kind of see where i was going with that.[/citation]

Of course not all patents are the same, many are simply incremental improvements over existing inventions while others are inventions or improvements that were discovered and rejected in the process of inventing yet another product. If I task a team of engineers with designing something new and unique they will probably come back with several fully functional independent designs, each of which meets my requirements. Naturally I'd probably only pick the best design and commercialize that one. The other remaining designs won't be commercialized but they can still be patented and licensed to competitors who will otherwise reverse engineer my superior product in an effort to get around the patents that protect it.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]What idea? I couldnt not think any but the style Rambus use to sue its competitor.[/citation]

The idea of courtroom attrition rather than real competition when the company's own products are outrun by the competitors.... use garbage excuses like round corners, photoshop evidence ect sounds all to familiar perhaps?

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]IBM has already patented the process of patent trolling.[/citation]
Funny, everytime someone tries to drag IBM into the stupid fanboi troll-fest they just end up looking like and ignorant pleb, thanks for giving me another hearty laugh at your expense.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Rambus Admin:- Boss, I just found a document that would prove Hynix innocent
Rambus Boss:- Really? Let me look at that.
BBBBZZZZZZTTTTTTTTTTT
Rambus Admin:- Boss, I just can't find any documents that prove Hynix innocent
Rambus Boss:- Never mind, keep looking

/truestory

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]pinhedd[/nom]Of course not all patents are the same, many are simply incremental improvements over existing inventions while others are inventions or improvements that were discovered and rejected in the process of inventing yet another product. If I task a team of engineers with designing something new and unique they will probably come back with several fully functional independent designs, each of which meets my requirements. Naturally I'd probably only pick the best design and commercialize that one. The other remaining designs won't be commercialized but they can still be patented and licensed to competitors who will otherwise reverse engineer my superior product in an effort to get around the patents that protect it.[/citation]

i meant it more like most companies have some amount of rounded edge rectangle patents just like apple, however most of them decided that it would be better not to ever presume those patents in court because their good name is worth more in the long run than the money in the short.

aggroboy

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
[citation][nom]pinhedd[/nom]You mean like The ATM, the floppy disk, the hard disk, the magnetic stripe, the UPC, DRAM, VRAM (not to be confused with SGRAM) the modern RISC architecture, PowerPC, the relational database, the 8 bit byte (not a patent, but they were the first to use it in a standard fashion), high availability computers and mainframes, navigation computers, virtualization, hardware cryptography, RAID-5, the Industry Standard Architecture, The IBM PC and AT formfactor, etc...They didn't exactly wholly invent or patent every single one of those but whatever, something something innovation is dead because of patents amirite?While we're at it lets just completely disregard their research on power efficiency, reliability, scalability and supercomputers, nanotechnology, quantum computing, storage and IO, their massive contributions to the Linux kernel and other free projectsYes, definitely a patent troll that just patents useless junk[/citation]
While you are very right, the issue is tech giants including them will also patent common sense design or vague concepts. This greatly increases barrier to entry for tech companies.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]aggroboy[/nom]While you are very right, the issue is tech giants including them will also patent common sense design or vague concepts. This greatly increases barrier to entry for tech companies.[/citation]

Exactly right. Its one thing to patent a new "INVENTION", it is quite another to patent some vague arse concept like "slide to unlock." And in that regards IBM has been as guilty as any of the other worse offenders such as Apple.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
But from all the thumb downs on here today, I must assume that Tom's has been invaded by the legal community. Perhaps the realization that they are nothing but parasites on our society has them upset.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
@pinhedd:

falchard is right. IBM did patent the patent troll process. But they tend to use this patent (along with many of their other patents) defensively, not offensively. In other words, try patent-trolling IBM, and watch what happens.

Rumor is that there is a loose consortium of high tech companies that have taken it upon themselves to "police" IP protection and patent abuse, and that IBM and MSFT are both part of this group, along with some HW manufs and others. I don't know whether this rumor is true or not, so grain of salt if you will.

Status
Not open for further replies.