Jump to Ryzen

SergeantXFX

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016
Hey guys, I have been rocking a Q6600 non OC for the past 8 years or so. The CPU + Mobo + 4GB Ram are the only things still standing from that build. I plan on upgrading to a Ryzen 2600x with 16GB ram and keeping my current RX 460 for gaming until I can muster enough money for a better card.

My questions are:

1. How big is the performance difference going to be? I game at 1600x900 and mostly have Discord/Browser and a few other programs open. No major plans for productivity workloads and plan on getting a 1080 monitor when I get a better card.

2. Is there any scenario in which my Q6600 will perform better than a brand new CPU? I just wanna make sure the upgrade is total in every aspect.

3. Will I be able to get a decent 3-4 years of gaming with a 2600x re? I know this is pure speculation because the tech industry is always evolving but just give me your estimates.

I am aware that just for pure gaming Intel's options will get me more FPS. I do however wanna support Team Red this time and give them a try :)

Solution
1. Pretty big although I can't give you exact numbers.
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core2-Quad-Q6600-vs-Intel-Core-i7-2600/1980vs620
I went from a Q6600 to a G5400 (2C/4T @3.7ghz) and the FPS nearly doubled so the 2600 will be a good improvement.

2. No

3. Get the 2600, it's cheaper and the stock cooler is quite good. As for time it should last quite awhile and with AMD using the AM4 socket until 2020 you have a decent upgrade path.

I had a 4770K before I got this Ryzen 2600 (long story short had to sell my old computer to repair my car and have slowly built this system up) and the Ryzen 2600 performs quite well. XFR2 will boost the CPU from what I've seen up to 4.3ghz+ on each core as long as the cooling is good and...

WildCard999

Titan
1. Pretty big although I can't give you exact numbers.
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core2-Quad-Q6600-vs-Intel-Core-i7-2600/1980vs620
I went from a Q6600 to a G5400 (2C/4T @3.7ghz) and the FPS nearly doubled so the 2600 will be a good improvement.

2. No

3. Get the 2600, it's cheaper and the stock cooler is quite good. As for time it should last quite awhile and with AMD using the AM4 socket until 2020 you have a decent upgrade path.

I had a 4770K before I got this Ryzen 2600 (long story short had to sell my old computer to repair my car and have slowly built this system up) and the Ryzen 2600 performs quite well. XFR2 will boost the CPU from what I've seen up to 4.3ghz+ on each core as long as the cooling is good and this is what I got with the stock cooler.

2TIAnll.png

^^^This was Destiny 2 for like a 1 hour on High settings.

Solution

ARAN_108

Reputable
Aug 11, 2016
1) The q6600 is quite a weak processor. You will get a decent FPS gain in old games and great gains in newer games. You will have much lesser lows with great consistency.

2) The Q6600 is absolutely obliterated by the Ryzen 2600. To give you a perspective(its stupid though), your 4 cores is equal to 1 thread of the Ryzen 1600 and you will have 12 of those threads.

3) As far as gaming goes, your experience is heavily dependent on the GPU. The Ryzen 2600X will age very well. You will get a decent 4+ years usage from it as far as gaming goes.

Gaming devs are kinda lazy these days, with the consumer having a lot of CPU prowess, the devs are just getting lazier and trading off optimizations for development period.

Ryzen is running toe to toe with Intel these days, so you are covered unless you want 144FPS from your PC(Even here, the Ryzen is a good option).

I recommend you get the non-X version of the Ryzen.

ARAN_108

Reputable
Aug 11, 2016

AMD isn't like Intel. They have all CPUs unlocked. You have to get a b450/x470 motherboard and you can OC the Ryzen 2600. The X series don't come with a cooler and usually they OC a bit higher for e.g. Yor 2600 might reach 3.9GHz at 1.3V whereas the 2600X might reach 4.1GHz at the same voltage. You basically trade off 0.1GHz(Which isn't much).

exroofer

Distinguished
Saw some utterly fascinating Adoredtv video yesterday.
Going to suggest anyone thinking of a platform upgrade hold off untill at least after CES.
Thinking 7nm Ryzen is going to add a whole new level of "disruption" to the cpu market.
Unless you aren't in a position to wait, of course.

ARAN_108

Reputable
Aug 11, 2016

Yeah saw that too. The Ryzen 3 lineup is just bomb!
If this is true, then AMD is just upping the game and taunting Intel to really come off the comfort zone.
I think AMD is really planning to completely change computing.

I think they must have figured out that the lower end chips like the i3 are still selling well because of the unaware CPU buyer segment.

WildCard999

Titan

Not really, while the 2600X has slightly higher boost clocks XFR2 will auto boost the CPU based on voltage and temperature. In the above photo I posted XFR2 boosted all CPU cores to 4.3ghz with no manual overclocking.

Mike Prior

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
1. Huge
2. No.
3. Yes................................probably.

I'm afraid I have to contradict Aran_108.
The 2600x does in fact come with the Wraith Spire Cooler, an improvement on the stock 2600 Wraith Stealth Cooler.
(There are also limited bundles available at the moment with the Wraith Max Cooler at additional cost.)
Aran would have been correct over the 1000 series. ie. The 1600x had no cooler and the non "x" version was the smart buy,
This time round with the 2000 series, most consider the 2600x the one to go for. (I am.)
I suggest you pair it with a decent B450 motherboard. There aren't many useful benefits for most going for a 470, and you can upgrade the GPU sooner.
It may be above your budget (£125ish) but check out the following link. Seems like a bargain gem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHo0xuWU-nY

SergeantXFX

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016
Thank you all for your answers. I was scoping out a b450 Tomahawk even tho it retails for around 125 € where I live. I saw online that it had good VRMs even tho I have no knowledge of such things. I'll trust the reviewer! :p