[SOLVED] Just curious Can the lubrication in the bearings freeze and make the fans go Grrrr in the winter and what is the minimal temperature ?

FaelanTM

Prominent
Sep 2, 2020
I want to know if there is a danger turning on the PC in the winter for the PC fans or GPU fans ? Can the lubrication in them freeze like on 5-10 Celsius and make the bearings fail over time or the fans to become noisy like Grrrrr ?
What is the minimal working temperature of the Ball Bearing and Hydralic Bearings ?

Solution
I want to know if there is a danger turning on the PC in the winter for the PC fans or GPU fans ? Can the lubrication in them freeze like on 5-10 Celsius and make the bearings fail over time or the fans to become noisy like Grrrrr ?
What is the minimal working temperature of the Ball Bearing and Hydralic Bearings ?
It is more likely just the different expansion (contraction actually) coefficients of the different metals. Cold weather could cause the tolerances between the axle and bearing to become smaller due to the bearing contracting MORE than the axle.

kanewolf

Titan
It is more likely just the different expansion (contraction actually) coefficients of the different metals. Cold weather could cause the tolerances between the axle and bearing to become smaller due to the bearing contracting MORE than the axle.

Reactions: FaelanTM
Solution

FaelanTM

Prominent
Sep 2, 2020

So its possible to get grinding fans from the cold ? Even if they are bought like 2 months ago ?

FaelanTM

Prominent
Sep 2, 2020
Unknown. Were these quality fans or generics? Bearings or bushings?
It looks like many fans have an operating range of -10C to 80C. But your specific parts? Unknown.

Well the PC fan case are Aerocool Eclipse 12 with Hydralic bearings ....GPU fans are Dual Ball Bearing MSI Gaming X and the CPU fan is Arctic Freezer 34 Duo E-sports

FaelanTM

Prominent
Sep 2, 2020
So, which one has the noise issue? Or is it 'all'?

I would also think that after a short period, friction would cause bearings to warm enough to not have any issue with cold temperature.

I dont have an issue im just asking cuz im curious ..... Long story short i had problems with my old PC when i was a kid and me and my dad decided to ask the owner of the shop where i bought the PC and the girl there she was the owner ..... said that i should turn on my PC in a room temp so the Fans don't go GRRRR and now when im old enough and kinda educated wanted to know if that was a true thing :D ( and yes the PC was in a room temp but in the morning my room was kind a cold but not minus celsius for sure

USAFRet

Titan
and yes the PC was in a room temp but in the morning my room was kind a cold but not minus celsius for sure
That was absolutely not a "problem".

Now...if it was in the trunk of the car overnight, at -20C...then yes...bring it inside and let it rise to room temp before turning it on.
Mostly for condensation.

The bearing grease did not freeze.

Reactions: Krotow and FaelanTM

FaelanTM

Prominent
Sep 2, 2020
That was absolutely not a "problem".

Now...if it was in the trunk of the car overnight, at -20C...then yes...bring it inside and let it rise to room temp before turning it on.
Mostly for condensation.

The bearing grease did not freeze.

So i should be okay to turn on my computer even if the room or the PC case is cold ?