[SOLVED] Just did my first OverClock, some questions?

conorfardad

Commendable
Feb 19, 2018
Just did my first overclock on my i5-7600k, its running a evo 212 and its not a great mobo (msi z270-a pro) i have never bothered to oc it but the 4.2ghz seemed to be bottle necking my cards in some games (100 percent cpu usage 60 percent gpu and stuttering)

Anyways i did some minor research, i went in my bios turned intel speed step off, changed my cpu ratio around a bunch and my v core voltage each time i would run prim95 blend test most of the time one of the cores would fail and drop the cpu usage down 25 percent or so.

i finally got it to pass 15 tests at 4.8ghz 1.31 volts. Now the question is during the test the actual clock speed would go all over the place rarely hitting the actual oc speed, temps would hit 84-85C but it passed all the test. Now when i play say PUBG i def notice a improvement overall in performance, and NZXT Cam has the cpu running at a steady 4.8ghz with load temps around 71C.

So would this be successful? Does everything seem correct?

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
What's the R20 test? I've never overclocked but plan to at some point so will probably come in handy to know.
Cinebench r20 it’s a cpu/you test program and will give you a score, another cpu test is geekbench 5 where you can check out what other people are getting with their overclocks

zx128k

Reputable
Why would, "the actual clock speed would go all over the place rarely hitting the actual oc speed, temps would hit 84-85C but it passed all the test. " Be normal? Normally if I manually overclock my cpu it stays at 4.8GHz in testing or whatever the AVX offset is under avx loads. So I would not expect the clock frequency to change by much.

The clock speed would be expected to change if say something was overheating. This could be the cpu or vrms.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88
Looks like room for 4.9, @ perhaps 1.35v ish, 71c is perfectly fine on gaming load, tbh up to 75 is also absolutelly fine.

also, i must say that this processor doesn't bottlenecks, even with a 2080ti, and even on stock clocks, but OC improvements if done right are clearly noticeable.