[SOLVED] Just had a BSOD that said "DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE" while I was gaming.

Flame1

Honorable
Aug 8, 2017
I was just watching a video on my other monitor and playing Halo MCC simultaneously (the steam version) and all of a sudden I got a BSOD that said DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE.
I have never had that before, so I'm wondering what could the culprit here be?

I've located the minidump file but don't have the resources to look through it:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LXcsS_K5yyRHDeHW0b1Z9T7EPe3bkcaR/view?usp=sharing

I am on Windows 10 Pro version 21H2

-Resizable BAR enabled.
-The Fast Startup Windows setting disabled.
-Default Windows Balanced Power Plan.

Thank you in advance.

Solution
problem was a disk driver not responding to a power request.
would need a kernel dump to tell you what the actual device was.
basic fix would be to update the device firmware, basic workaround would be to go into windows device manager, find the device, right mouse click to bring up properties.
find the power management tab and tell windows not to turn it off to save power.

if this is a usb device, you want to tell windows not to put the hub to sleep using the same method.

2: kd> !sysinfo machineid
Machine ID Information [From Smbios 3.3, DMIVersion 0, Size=3297]
BiosMajorRelease = 5
BiosMinorRelease = 17
BiosVendor = American Megatrends Inc.
BiosVersion = 4201
BiosReleaseDate = 04/26/2022
SystemManufacturer = ASUS
SystemProductName...
I was just watching a video on my other monitor and playing Halo MCC simultaneously (the steam version) and all of a sudden I got a BSOD that said DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE.
I have never had that before, so I'm wondering what could the culprit here be?

I've located the minidump file but don't have the resources to look through it:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LXcsS_K5yyRHDeHW0b1Z9T7EPe3bkcaR/view?usp=sharing

I am on Windows 10 Pro version 21H2

-Resizable BAR enabled.
-The Fast Startup Windows setting disabled.
-Default Windows Balanced Power Plan.

Thank you in advance.
try follow this step by step in order (read till end):
  • Disconnect from internet and close any background apps.
  • Uninstall every gpu driver using DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 16 on yours since it's 16 threads, also when it asks for restart, click on no and keep uninstalling all processors) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

• Uninstall AMD Chipset Software in control panel (if there is none, skip it.)

• restart the pc to bios, disable AMD fTPM and secure boot (if it's enabled by default), save and exit, go to bios again, flash to the latest bios (version 4201 with agesa 1.2.0.7), go to bios after finished updating, then load default or optimized settings, disable CSM, then save and exit. If you cant boot with CSM disabled, then just enable it.

(OPTIONAL) enable Above 4G Decoding and Resizable bar option (these 2 options wont be available unless CSM is disabled)

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver (should be ver 4.06.xx), then reboot. after that check in Control Panel > Uninstall a Program > AMD Chipset Software and see if its already ver 4.06.xx that's installed.

• Install the latest nvidia driver, and then connect to internet.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• And check windows update if there is any and install them (except optional update).

• Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
    unknown.png

Reactions: Flame1

Flame1

Honorable
Aug 8, 2017
try follow this step by step in order (read till end):
  • Disconnect from internet and close any background apps.
  • Uninstall every gpu driver using DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 16 on yours since it's 16 threads, also when it asks for restart, click on no and keep uninstalling all processors) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

• Uninstall AMD Chipset Software in control panel (if there is none, skip it.)

• restart the pc to bios, disable AMD fTPM and secure boot (if it's enabled by default), save and exit, go to bios again, flash to the latest bios (version 4201 with agesa 1.2.0.7), go to bios after finished updating, then load default or optimized settings, disable CSM, then save and exit. If you cant boot with CSM disabled, then just enable it.

(OPTIONAL) enable Above 4G Decoding and Resizable bar option (these 2 options wont be available unless CSM is disabled)

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver (should be ver 4.06.xx), then reboot. after that check in Control Panel > Uninstall a Program > AMD Chipset Software and see if its already ver 4.06.xx that's installed.

• Install the latest nvidia driver, and then connect to internet.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• And check windows update if there is any and install them (except optional update).

• Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
    unknown.png
I actually replaced my Ryzen 3900x with the Ryzen 5800X3D 3 weeks ago, which is when I updated to the latest BIOS version which is the one you mentioned, updated my gpu firmware and enabled Resizable BAR in the BIOS. My GPU is connected with each PCiE cable going directly from the PSU, no splitters just cable extensions for better looks which I've been using for a couple of years.

Having said that I believe I am safe to assume that I can skip step 5 and the last step, also from my understanding, I need to have the Chipset driver and Graphics card driver files there ready to be installed prior to following any of these steps?

I actually replaced my Ryzen 3900x with the Ryzen 5800X3D 3 weeks ago, which is when I updated to the latest BIOS version which is the one you mentioned, updated my gpu firmware and enabled Resizable BAR in the BIOS. My GPU is connected with each PCiE cable going directly from the PSU, no splitters just cable extensions for better looks which I've been using for a couple of years.

Having said that I believe I am safe to assume that I can skip step 5 and the last step, also from my understanding, I need to have the Chipset driver and Graphics card driver files there ready to be installed prior to following any of these steps?
Yes. You could do step 5 if you're not sure but try give result if you do skip step 5 :D

Flame1

Honorable
Aug 8, 2017
Yes. You could do step 5 if you're not sure but try give result if you do skip step 5 :D
Alright so I skipped step 5 since there was really no need as I was already on the latest BIOS and did all the steps in order (aside from the GPU thing at the end ofc since I already know that's plugged in properly too).

No issues so far, but then again, I haven't really had any bluescreen until this one for months, it's not something I could reliably test to see if it keeps happening, as it happened very randomly whilst I was doing what I always do on my PC.
I was just concerned since I don't think BSOD's are a fluke even if I get a random one after like half a year of no BSOD's at all.

I'm going on holidays tomorrow, when I come back in a week I'll give it another week to see if I get no BSOD's, and if I dont I will come back and mark best answer.

Thank you!

Reactions: Koekieezz

Flame1

Honorable
Aug 8, 2017
Out of curiousity, what make/model PSU do you have? In fact, you should list all your hardware

PSU: EVGA 1000GQ
MOBO: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
GPU: MSI SUPRIM X RTX 3090
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Rgb Pro 4x8GB 3200Mhz
Cpu cooler: NZXT Kraken x62
OS drive: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB
Other drivers: Corsair MP510 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x WD BLUE 1TB HDD

I don't OC or anything like that, just set my RAM to DOCP and thats all.

basic fix would be to update the device firmware, basic workaround would be to go into windows device manager, find the device, right mouse click to bring up properties.
find the power management tab and tell windows not to turn it off to save power.

if this is a usb device, you want to tell windows not to put the hub to sleep using the same method.

BiosMajorRelease = 5
BiosMinorRelease = 17
BiosVersion = 4201
SystemProductName = System Product Name
SystemFamily = To be filled by O.E.M.
SystemVersion = System Version
SystemSKU = SKU
BaseBoardManufacturer = ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
BaseBoardProduct = ROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO
BaseBoardVersion = Rev X.0x
12: kd> !sysinfo cpuinfo
[CPU Information]
~MHz = REG_DWORD 3400
Component Information = REG_BINARY 0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
Configuration Data = REG_FULL_RESOURCE_DESCRIPTOR ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
Identifier = REG_SZ AMD64 Family 25 Model 33 Stepping 2
ProcessorNameString = REG_SZ AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor
Update Status = REG_DWORD 1
VendorIdentifier = REG_SZ AuthenticAMD

Reactions: dudio and Flame1
Solution

Flame1

Honorable
Aug 8, 2017

BiosMajorRelease = 5
BiosMinorRelease = 17
BiosVersion = 4201
SystemSKU = SKU
[CPU Information]
~MHz = REG_DWORD 3400
Configuration Data = REG_FULL_RESOURCE_DESCRIPTOR ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,ff,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
Thank you so much, would you be able to instruct me on how I can get the Kernel dump?

I'm not gonna be home for a few days so I can't really do anything at the moment, but when I come back I could send through that Kernel dump file so that we know what device was at fault.

I might just look for firmware updates for all of my drives, hopefully I won't accidentally brick any of them while I'm at it.

Thank you so much, would you be able to instruct me on how I can get the Kernel dump?

I'm not gonna be home for a few days so I can't really do anything at the moment, but when I come back I could send through that Kernel dump file so that we know what device was at fault.

I might just look for firmware updates for all of my drives, hopefully I won't accidentally brick any of them while I'm at it.

best to just google something like" how to change the memory dump type in windows" and look at what comes up.

Flame1

Honorable
Aug 8, 2017

BiosMajorRelease = 5
BiosMinorRelease = 17
BiosVersion = 4201
SystemSKU = SKU
[CPU Information]
~MHz = REG_DWORD 3400
Sorry I just have another question that I should have asked before. Having read your message again, I understand that the BSOD was caused by not just any drive, but a HDD.

When I got that BSOD screen, I was never using either one of my HDDs, my windows is intalled on an Nvme SSD, and so was the game I had running at the time along with all the apps I have open on my PC, the 2 HDDs that I have in my PC are used only for storing videos and pictures as well as junk files.

So the thing I was wondering is, why would windows send a power request to either of the HDDs, if neither of them were in use? Does windows randomly run some sort of drive checks or something that requires to turn them on even when they're not in use?

Thanks again

Sorry I just have another question that I should have asked before. Having read your message again, I understand that the BSOD was caused by not just any drive, but a HDD.

When I got that BSOD screen, I was never using either one of my HDDs, my windows is intalled on an Nvme SSD, and so was the game I had running at the time along with all the apps I have open on my PC, the 2 HDDs that I have in my PC are used only for storing videos and pictures as well as junk files.

So the thing I was wondering is, why would windows send a power request to either of the HDDs, if neither of them were in use? Does windows randomly run some sort of drive checks or something that requires to turn them on even when they're not in use?

Thanks again
various governments want microsoft windows to force PC to save power. They made laws to that effect and microsoft recently started telling PCs to go to a lower power states than it did before. Problem is this exposes bugs in BIOS, device driver, firmware, and other hardware that indicate that they support the lower power state where in fact it is broken. for example, you might have a drive that supports the low power state but a old version of a bios that does not. Or a updated bios that works, but old firmware in a drive that does not.
or a working bios, working drive firmware but a old storage driver from a third party vendor that has to be updated. (often happens with the intel storage driver) here is another problem you can have: usb hubs that go to sleep but the wake up device is also connected to the hub. if the hub is asleep and you have a usb drive connected to it, and the keyboard and mouse. You might not be able to wake up the hub. gets kind of screwy, for these cases you want to tell the hub not to sleep so you can wake the system via the keyboard or mouse.
All the drives will have a timer that starts counting after they go idle, when the timer goes off, windows power management will tell the drive to go to a lower power state (sleep level) if the device is in use the timer is reset and starts counting again.

yes, windows does run a idle time HDD background process in its system process. They started this in windows 8.1 and they attempt to read every cluster of the HDD over time looking for weak sectors. Sectors that have not failed but return CRC errors indicating that they will fail in the future. Window finds the bad sector and will re read it over and over until it gets a good copy. if it does it writes it to a new location and marks the old cluster as bad.
This extends the life of a HDD, the process starts 5 minutes after the drive goes idle. Problem people now have is often these drives are put to sleep much faster than before to save power. Now there is a much smaller windows where this "repair" function can work and it gets starved and does not complete. kind of causes a queue waiting to look at your drive even though you did not ask anything to be run from the drive.

Last edited:

Flame1

Honorable
Aug 8, 2017
various governments want microsoft windows to force PC to save power. They made laws to that effect and microsoft recently started telling PCs to go to a lower power states than it did before. Problem is this exposes bugs in BIOS, device driver, firmware, and other hardware that indicate that they support the lower power state where in fact it is broken. for example, you might have a drive that supports the low power state but a old version of a bios that does not. Or a updated bios that works, but old firmware in a drive that does not.
or a working bios, working drive firmware but a old storage driver from a third party vendor that has to be updated. (often happens with the intel storage driver) here is another problem you can have: usb hubs that go to sleep but the wake up device is also connected to the hub. if the hub is asleep and you have a usb drive connected to it, and the keyboard and mouse. You might not be able to wake up the hub. gets kind of screwy, for these cases you want to tell the hub not to sleep so you can wake the system via the keyboard or mouse.
All the drives will have a timer that starts counting after they go idle, when the timer goes off, windows power management will tell the drive to go to a lower power state (sleep level) if the device is in use the timer is reset and starts counting again.

yes, windows does run a idle time HDD background process in its system process. They started this in windows 8.1 and they attempt to read every cluster of the HDD over time looking for weak sectors. Sectors that have not failed but return CRC errors indicating that they will fail in the future. Window finds the bad sector and will re read it over and over until it gets a good copy. if it does it writes it to a new location and marks the old cluster as bad.
This extends the life of a HDD, the process starts 5 minutes after the drive goes idle. Problem people now have is often these drives are put to sleep much faster than before to save power. Now there is a much smaller windows where this "repair" function can work and it gets starved and does not complete. kind of causes a queue waiting to look at your drive even though you did not ask anything to be run from the drive.
Thank you for the explanation, I'm planning to ditch using HDDs in my PC all together, last thing I want is these things causing issues when they're not even being used. SSDs seem like they are cheaper than ever so I might replace these HDDs really soon, been using them for almost 6 years and I read that the average lifespan of a HDD is 3-5 years.

I came home earlier than expected and the first thing I did was went into advanced power settings and set the "Turn off Hard Disk after" setting to Never, it was previously set to 20 minutes.

I'll see how things go from here and give it about a week.

Reactions: Koekieezz