[SOLVED] Just installed a new(old) processor

goatfarmer

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
I just upgraded my old computer. I went from a E8400 Core 2 Duo to a Q9400 Core 2 Quad for some performance increase. I am running an aftermarket cooler(air). The Q9400 is an R0 module.

Before overclocking, i'm testing everything out.

Ran Prime95 on the stock processor with the aftermarket cooler and the temps(C) were as follows:

CPU1 - 45-53
CPU2 - 41-51
CPU3 - 45-51
CPU4 - 45-52

Are these considered good/normal?

Will inquire/post more if i overclock.

Solution
Those temps aren't bad at all. You can push those CPUs up quite a bit more before having issues. Intel rates the highest temp at the IHS at just over 71C, but the cores will naturally be a little hotter. So, by all metrics your temps are just fine. If you decide to overclock for better performance, I'd say keep it under 70C under full load and you'll be fine.
Those temps aren't bad at all. You can push those CPUs up quite a bit more before having issues. Intel rates the highest temp at the IHS at just over 71C, but the cores will naturally be a little hotter. So, by all metrics your temps are just fine. If you decide to overclock for better performance, I'd say keep it under 70C under full load and you'll be fine.

Reactions: goatfarmer
Solution

laptop-Tech

Prominent
Jan 27, 2020
my cpu runs a 90

my cpu runs a 90
The maximum temp depends on a lot of factors. One of which, and the one we run into here, is the process node and architecture. Older hardware wasn't as resilient as newer tech when it comes to temps. Technology in heat transfer was also not as good. Where as nowadays voltage is what kills overclocked chips it used to be common for heat to be the primary cause of death. Older CPUs also didn't have as advanced protections against over heating.

So, my recommendation on Core 2 is to not go over 70C. Does it mean it can't handle it? Not necessarily. However, most people trying to get the best performance out of their hardware generally don't want to risk killing their hardware on a day to day basis.

goatfarmer

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
Overclocked the Q9400 to 3.00GHz tonight. Ran Prime95 and max CPU core temps(C) were 55/47/51/52.

CPU-Z showed voltage as 1.248. I have motherboard voltage set at 1.2875.

Might try for FSB of 400 tomorrow for an overclock of 3.20GHz and see what voltage is and then reduce.

Don't want to push CPU or Motherboard too much.