Question Just installed a new PSU but now... ?

takearushfan82

Honorable
Jun 10, 2017
I've just installed an MSI MAG A750GL PCIE5 PSU and now my PC won't even power on. I have an
MSI MAG B460M BAZOOKA motherboard. I would imagine if it won't even power on then I must have connected something wrong with the... power, but what? There's no manual for this PSU. All the cables are confusing but I tried my best to figure it out, evidently to no avail. What might I be doing wrong? Thanks.

Lutfij

Titan
Have you tried making sure all connections to and from the PSU to your components and back are all firmly seated in their connectors? You might want to pass on images of how you've hooked the PSU up to your components. Host your images on Imgur and then pass on links to said images on this thread for us to see. Did you recycle any cables from a prior build?

Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

There's no manual for this PSU.
https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/psu/MAGA850GL_A750GLPCIE5A650GL.pdf
Page 6, leads on the left on that page go to the PSU and the leads to the right on that page, go to your components.
Page 5, shows you where the leads for PSU go onto the PSU's end.

takearushfan82

Honorable
Jun 10, 2017
I used all the new cables included. I didn't recycle.
CPU: i9 10900kf , I think
CPU cooler: bequit
Motherboard: msi mag bazooka b460m
Ram: 32g
SSD/HDD: just put in a m.2 ssd
GPU: rtx 2060
PSU: mag a750gl 750w
Chassis: no idea
this is a roommates. I don't know specifics.
I'll take some pics and upload now

takearushfan82

Honorable
Jun 10, 2017
Sorry for accidentally posting weirdly. The top pic shows that the 8 pin cpu is plugged in. Two others show the 8 pin rtx and the extra plugs coming off of it. Last pic shows how I only plugged the power into the psu so far. I forgot to include that the other end is plugged into the board's power.

takearushfan82

Honorable
Jun 10, 2017
Have you tried making sure all connections to and from the PSU to your components and back are all firmly seated in their connectors? You might want to pass on images of how you've hooked the PSU up to your components. Host your images on Imgur and then pass on links to said images on this thread for us to see. Did you recycle any cables from a prior build?

Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

There's no manual for this PSU.
https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/psu/MAGA850GL_A750GLPCIE5A650GL.pdf
Page 6, leads on the left on that page go to the PSU and the leads to the right on that page, go to your components.
Page 5, shows you where the leads for PSU go onto the PSU's end.
The problem is I don't know where the other ends plug in. The cpu, graphics card etc. There are multiple pci, cpu, sata etc

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The cables will only fit into one type of socket. The CPU/PCIe ones are what the cables attached to the GPU attaches to. Same for the 8-pin cable attached to the motherboard.

You can use any of the corresponding ports for this.

You should be able to find the manual for the PSU by looking up the make/model.

Reactions: takearushfan82

takearushfan82

Honorable
Jun 10, 2017
The cables will only fit into one type of socket. The CPU/PCIe ones are what the cables attached to the GPU attaches to. Same for the 8-pin cable attached to the motherboard.

You can use any of the corresponding ports for this.

You should be able to find the manual for the PSU by looking up the make/model.
Okay. I got it up and running but now another mysterious dilemma that's puzzling me, this forum, Reddit, everyone I ask, etc.
Every now and then Windows 10 will freeze for no reason and I'll have to restart. It can be at any time. Sometimes (again seemingly randomly) it'll give a blue screen, say it has to collect error data and restart. Since this started happening I've checked the hardware monitors and all temps, speeds, voltage, etc is fine. I installed a new GPU, SSD, optical drive, reinstalled Windows, updated everything, cleaned the fans, checked for loose cables/wires, new network card and it still happens. All that's left is the darn CPU and motherboard! Why is this still happening? I'm kinda ticked that after all the effort, time and money replacing these parts it's still doing this. Any ideas? I don't know what else to even try at this point.

takearushfan82

Honorable
Jun 10, 2017
OK. Make sure your motherboard BIOS is up to date as well.
The BIOS are up to date. What's the best program for monitoring the things we're looking for? I'm not sure which I should try again. BTW, update: not only is this issue starting again but it's several times today, a couple times just minutes apart. I'm not sure what to look at it in event viewer/what anything means but I saw in the windows system section red errors regarding bugcheck and kernel power.

takearushfan82

Honorable
Jun 10, 2017
OK. Make sure your motherboard BIOS is up to date as well.
I wasn't sure what to post but I'm concerned because it's doing its thing way too frequently now. I noticed the icons on a couple parts had lightning bolts next to them. That can't be good. I apologize for the length but I wanted to cover all bases. I'm not sure how to read it or what these values should be.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I wasn't sure what to post but I'm concerned because it's doing its thing way too frequently now. I noticed the icons on a couple parts had lightning bolts next to them. That can't be good. I apologize for the length but I wanted to cover all bases. I'm not sure how to read it or what these values should be.
HWMONITOR will show temperatures, that is what is needed. Not all the other information. No one will read through a massive pile like that.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Temperatures, assuming mostly idle, look okay.

What is the full make/model of your memory? If you don't know, you can use CPU-Z to get the information.

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

How many storage devices do you have? You mentioned installing a m.2 SSD. Do you have others as well?

Which is Windows installed on?

When you installed Windows, was your primary storage device the only one active at the time of installation (you should disconnect other devices when installing Windows to ensure system files are not installed on unintended devices).

takearushfan82

Honorable
Jun 10, 2017
Temperatures, assuming mostly idle, look okay.

What is the full make/model of your memory? If you don't know, you can use CPU-Z to get the information.

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

How many storage devices do you have? You mentioned installing a m.2 SSD. Do you have others as well?

Which is Windows installed on?

When you installed Windows, was your primary storage device the only one active at the time of installation (you should disconnect other devices when installing Windows to ensure system files are not installed on unintended devices).
It was idle, yep. I attached a link to the cpu-z screenshot. I only have the m.2 ssd and a SATA bluray optical, so yeah, it's installed on that m.2 ssd. It was the only active one, yep. The case fan and PSU fans are okay. Might the heatsink, well you said the temps look okay. I'm so perplexed.
Memory