Question Just installed a new PSU but now... ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

takearushfan82

Honorable
Jun 10, 2017
I've just installed an MSI MAG A750GL PCIE5 PSU and now my PC won't even power on. I have an
MSI MAG B460M BAZOOKA motherboard. I would imagine if it won't even power on then I must have connected something wrong with the... power, but what? There's no manual for this PSU. All the cables are confusing but I tried my best to figure it out, evidently to no avail. What might I be doing wrong? Thanks.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
To help isolate whether we are chasing a software or a hardware issue, you could boot your system from a Live Linux distro (from a USB drive). This does not install Linux on your system!

It does run Linux from the USB drive and in system memory. If stable under Linux, then you likely have a Windows problem.

Also, why are you running Windows 10? Any particular reason?

Reactions: takearushfan82

takearushfan82

Honorable
Jun 10, 2017
To help isolate whether we are chasing a software or a hardware issue, you could boot your system from a Live Linux distro (from a USB drive). This does not install Linux on your system!

It does run Linux from the USB drive and in system memory. If stable under Linux, then you likely have a Windows problem.

Also, why are you running Windows 10? Any particular reason?
That's a really clever idea. It didn't occur to me. I don't care for Windows 11's look and interface. I've tried Linux in the past and I'm terrible at doing much in it due to it not being terribly user friendly. As for Apple, I've never liked their products look or feel.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Just next year already? Arrg lol .. which Linux should I try to boot from? I'm not too versed at Linux. You mean either Ubuntu or Mint are those bootable non install ones?
Yes. Download the ISO and then use an app like Rufus to write the image to a USB drive.

Then boot from that USB drive. You'll see option to try out/run the OS without installing.

Reactions: takearushfan82

takearushfan82

Honorable
Jun 10, 2017
Yes. Download the ISO and then use an app like Rufus to write the image to a USB drive.

Then boot from that USB drive. You'll see option to try out/run the OS without installing.
Memtest was fine. I'm running linux now. Are there any stress tests or anything free for linux? I mean, I need something to do to potentially trigger the error. I don't know linux so I'm not going to actually use it other than just leave it sitting waiting.

takearushfan82

Honorable
Jun 10, 2017
Use like you use your Windows PC. Open a browser, several tabs. Those sorts of things.

Explore the default apps. There is a game called Chromium (like old school Galaga) you could try running (may need to "install" via Software Manager).
Okay. I've had Mint running for 4 hours. I opened 10 tabs WHILE Linux is doing the stress test (that S-TUI or whatever it's called) WHILE installing stuff AND playing Chromium, all simultaneously. I really think it would've hit an error by now. You're right, it must be software and my hardware is fine. OR it just didn't trigger an error yet. I'm pretty sure something would've happened by now though. How much longer do I wait and do stuff for? My gut tells me this is a Windows thing now and (fortunately) my hardware is fine. That begs the question, what the heck is the issue with Windows and might upgraded to the 11 I've been hesitant with help? I didn't need to disable or modify anything in my BIOS yet, as some thought maybe it was the XMP or such. What would you try next?

takearushfan82

Honorable
Jun 10, 2017
Use like you use your Windows PC. Open a browser, several tabs. Those sorts of things.

Explore the default apps. There is a game called Chromium (like old school Galaga) you could try running (may need to "install" via Software Manager).
Yeah, Windows has crashed 3 times since my last post. I'm upgrading to 11 at the moment. I'm sure it'll crash while upgrading.

May 7, 2024
It doesn't show files, just notifications.
For posterity, I was asking that you navigate to those locations in your file system and check if there was a recent memory dump log. When Windows crashes, it often writes a kernel panic .dmp file to those locations (that's why it says "We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you"). Anyways, I agree with COLGeek that a fresh Windows install is a good idea if you weren't having any issues in Linux. Though, that dump file could have helped identify and verify the issue if it was software-related.

takearushfan82

Honorable
Jun 10, 2017
If defective in some way. Why do you ask?
One of the USB 3.0 is buggy but now that I think of it, it always has been. Either way, we can mark this solved I believe. Since switching to 11 I haven't seen a shred of error... that's... all it... took (facepalm) good grief, I put hundreds into new parts when I could've just upgraded my OS 🤦‍♂️ Thank you for the help. Sorry for the frustration.

Reactions: CodeConnoisseur

takearushfan82

Honorable
Jun 10, 2017
For posterity, I was asking that you navigate to those locations in your file system and check if there was a recent memory dump log. When Windows crashes, it often writes a kernel panic .dmp file to those locations (that's why it says "We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you"). Anyways, I agree with COLGeek that a fresh Windows install is a good idea if you weren't having any issues in Linux. Though, that dump file could have helped identify and verify the issue if it was software-related.
It turns out, after all this, everything (fingers crossed) seems fine since switching to Windows 11. I'm an idiot.