Cody38

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Specs:
Watercooled i7-2600k
Corsair Tx750 PSU
8 gb ram
7870 IceQ
unknown motherboard, something by Acer inc. Unknown ram.

Okay so here's the issue. About 5 weeks ago, my 7870 started crashing my PC with graphical pixelations and other errors and then eventually my PC refused to boot with that card (works fine with different cards). I RMA'd that 7870 and luckily got a replacement (took 5 weeks).

Now this replacement was working fine until yesterday when I had a bluescreen (0x0000116) or 161, something similar. I looked it up and it had something to do with outdated GPU drivers so I made sure to update that. No issues. Well, then I tried to play Battlefield 4 and my screen went gray. Monitor stayed on, could still talk to friends on skype etc. Rebooted my PC and played BF4 with no issues for 2 hours.

Next day, here I am, my computer crashed on launch of a game called Banished. Grey screen etc, then when I reboot, the first screen (gateway screen) has white checkered columns through it from the top of my screen. I open my case to make sure everything is plugged in right, and I feel my card, it is HOT. Like real hot. Now my PC won't turn on with it in. The fan is moving and my PC *appears* to be on and working, but my monitor gets no signal from the card and one short click of the power button turns my pc off instead of having to hold it.

I should add i've had this card for less than 3 days. I'm hoping there's some fix to this because I'd hate to be stuck with my old card again waiting for another replacement...

Thanks.

Cody38

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

My opinion is that it's simply the card, as my last one of this exact card was working fine until it seemingly died of old age. This one is new, and it's already overheating.

Can you expand on how it might be my PSU or motherboard?

Also if it was my PSU or motherboard, wouldn't my backup 6750 die too?

emdea22

Distinguished
6750 needs less power and is of older generation closer to your OEM motherboard probably. OEM mobos tend to not handle other cards well as they are set for specific cards sold with that model. Also a weak PSU can have everything to do with killing a GPU - same thing applies here - 6750 uses less power so it puts less stress on the PSU.

Don't get me wrong - your mobo and psu can be fine and you might just be unlucky and get a second bad GPU but usually GPUs have overheating protection so keep that in mind.

Cody38

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

You make a good point, and unfortunately this was a prebuild and I've replaced almost everything but the ram and motherboard so I have no info on it. I'll consider this.

Cody38

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

Well first I had to send an RMA request which I did through mail, they had to reply to me, it took them almost the entire 4 weeks they estimated in their 2-4 weeks estimation just to ship it, then it got to me in a few days once shipped. They had to receive a replacement and send it to me.