[SOLVED] Kaby Lake in Coffee Lake Motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 17, 2020
I bought a new motherboard, gigabyte B365M DS3H, to replace a Gigabyte H110M 2SH and stupidly only looked at the fact that it had an LGA1151 Socket.

I thought that I could just drop my Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2 GHz in and everything would be fine. Of course, the PC didn't boot, the HDD light flashed, the fans spun and then it shut off.

After some digging around, I found that despite the CPU socket sharing the same name it's not compatible with the Kaby Lake chip.

I've ordered a new i9 9900K, which is compatible with the motherboard, but I'm just wondering if it's possible that something might have been damaged by using the wrong CPU and I might damage the new CPU if I just drop it in and turn on.

Is it possible that damage might have been caused or is the only way to find out installing the new CPU and keeping my fingers crossed?

Thanks.

Solution
I don't think it would have hurt anything. As far as I know they are pin compatible. It's just Intel blocking it at the BIOS level. Due to the power requirements of Coffee Lake. As there were some modders who reportedly got Coffee Lake CPU to work in Skylake/Kaby Lake motherboards. Although one poster noted Intel shifted power pins to some unused ones in the socket in Coffee Lake. If anything it may have fried the Kaby Lake CPU. But I doubt it hurt the motherboard.
I don't think it would have hurt anything. As far as I know they are pin compatible. It's just Intel blocking it at the BIOS level. Due to the power requirements of Coffee Lake. As there were some modders who reportedly got Coffee Lake CPU to work in Skylake/Kaby Lake motherboards. Although one poster noted Intel shifted power pins to some unused ones in the socket in Coffee Lake. If anything it may have fried the Kaby Lake CPU. But I doubt it hurt the motherboard.

Solution
Jun 17, 2020
Thank you for replying. I can live with the old CPU being fried, I just had heart palpitations at the thought of spending a small fortune on a new CPU for it not to work due to my own stupidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.