Kaspersky Lab Confirms it is Developing an OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
Interesting news.. I would enjoy that new "secure" OS to be put to the test once is out to see if it's actually possible to secure it to Buffer Overflows and other attacks from the network.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
I see a bunch of marketing hype in the articles (the Kaspersky articles) not much else. Let's see what they come up with, but I'm willing to bet it'll be a Unix derivative of one form or another.

G

yes what the world needs now is another distribution of linux

oh brother. what curse have the god set upon the linux folks, what flaw, that they all need their own different distribution.

dont we have enough distributions already, surely more than baskin-robbin flavors

enough already! if you ever going to win you have to learn to work together and stop acting like the world is coming to an end in the tower of babble

jankeke

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
[citation][nom]classzero[/nom]Sorry I am prepared for the down votes . . . But will it play Crysis? Again apologies, had to get it out of the way.[/citation]
+1 HA ! You didn't expect that, did you ?!

x3nophobe

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
That question was answered in the article.

"Our system is highly tailored, developed for solving a specific narrow task, and not intended for playing Half-Life on, editing your vacation videos, or blathering on social media," Kaspersky said. "We’re working on methods of writing software which by design won’t be able to carry out any behind-the-scenes, undeclared activity."

hwangchan

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
I think most of you missed it, this OS is for industrial units,it could possibly be altered to run a router or perhaps a copy machine, a stamping machine or an assembly line unit, but nothing so complex as a PC, well maybe with some modding...

Its an OS, but these types of units are currently running an advanced bios or windows/linux/unix shell that only utilizes the bare minimum of code to operate, usually just off the ROM often with no HDD. Unfortunately, sometimes this bare minimum code has the vulnerabilities of the main program, and some but not all viruses could be transferred through these unprotected units.

Its a good thing they are doing, with a lot of financial gain possibility, but its not exactly mind blowing.

hannibal

Distinguished
Hmmm... How big problem is that there allso have to program new programs just for this new KasperskyOs, because it will not run any old programs... Well, I can see why it will be so secure.

Actually guite interesting to see, how this works out. There are many companies that would like to have more secure os, but do they trust the Kaspersky enough to use their software?

Status
Not open for further replies.