Kaspersky Will Protect Windows XP After Microsoft's Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

theclash150

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
the only valid reason to use XP at this point is software compatibility. certain lab equipment and software requires XP and is too expensive to upgrade. if anyone is still using XP and is connected to the Internet, they deserve all the malware they get.

XP is old. I am all for 8.1 but at minimum people need to push to 7. I understand the very specific cases, but they are normally not running their entire network on XP. And if they are, they are idiots. XP, even without MS patching it, is still more insecure than Vista let alone 7.People need to stop clinging to OSes like their lives depend on it.

ibnmuhammad

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
Above comments clearly written by clueless kids.

People still running XP has very little or nothing to do with software compatibility... come on, we're not talking about Windows 3.11 here!!

Rather, people cling on to XP because either they don't want to spend money on a new OS with very little or no benefit, or secondly because they have old hardware... and Windows 7 is a monster with memory usage!

As for me, I cling on to XP because Vista and Windows 7 are a usability disaster, not to mention they perform significantly worse in performance as compared to XP... even surprisingly, power usage!

(you don't have to take my word for it, Tom's did a benchmark of Windows 7 against Vista and XP, and although 7 was slightly better than Vista, it was far behind XP in all meaningful results - gaming fps, cpu usage, power usage, memory usage, etc).

As mentioned, 7 is a usability disaster (just look at the help file for Classic Shell for just a few handful of major mistakes in the OS), and as for 8... let's not even get started with that pile of sh*t.

So as for me, the only possible reason I'd be forced to update is if I upgrade to an SSD, or potentially even waiting until Windows 9 or perhaps even jumping ship (like my other fellow developers) to the beautiful world of Mac OSX.

daekar

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Non-enthusiasts who don't game don't buy new computers until the old one is impractical to fix by reformatting. My extended family has at least two daily-use machines running XP. I deal with their very occasional malware infections and life goes on. They can still do what they need to do. When it becomes difficult to use an XP machine to surf the internet, then they will upgrade. I use an XP machine at work for the sake of software compatibility - we have to run the software specific to our equipment. All of out winterms are Win7 though, running virtual sessions on a company server. My print server at home is XP too...

daekar

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Or perhaps you're the fool for failing to realize that not everyone has the same requirements of their PC? Surely you don't think it's impossible for someone to keep using something even if it's old?

The only reason I ditched my old 500GB WD 7200rpm drive (and I mean OLD) is because it started to error. Before that there was no reason to upgrade to an SSD, my games ran fine. But hey, I'm still running a Phenom II X4 and a 460GTX, so what do I know?

antemon

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2008
for the love of all that is holy, XP needs to die already. Especially in corporate environment.Home use, I couldn't care less.

There is still tons of hardware and software that is broken beyond win xpI expect it will continue to be used mainly because software and hardware makers that are too lazy or arrogant to update to vista/7 compatible

ibnmuhammad why are you using Windows XP its too much of a memory hog compared to DOS, i dont care that it has a GUI its too heavyLOL you sound like the people who used to say Windows XP was "incompatible" and too "heavy" compared to Windows 9xI hope you dont work in IT, if you are then your the problem with this industry.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
How can the Kaspersky security suite protect against unpatched security vulnerabilities? It'll be able to stop a lot but all threats unless Kaspersky starts patching the vulnerabilities for you.

jacobian

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
Windows XPs "usability" was garbage. Having been used to NT and 2000, I always hated XP's look. At least, Windows Vista was the first OS in existence that finally forced people to stop treating their administrator account as the "standard account", it forced people to care about security. Personally, I am glad that I mostly skipped XP on my machines.

ianpac

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
Still using XP everyday, have not updated it for years and I cannot remember the last time it was infected. If you know your way around computers there is little to fear. It is the ignorant who get infected.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
"Microsoft is gearing up to patch a serious vulnerability in Windows XP that could allow hackers to take full control of the PC."And then..."An attacker must have valid log on credentials and be able to log on locally to exploit this vulnerability. The vulnerability could not be exploited remotely or by anonymous users"Well no shit, Microsoft? If you're in front of a computer and have the log in credentials (userID+password) of course you're going to be able to log in. How is that a vulnerability?

Ah, the haters whom have enough money to throw at new hardware and operating systems...Let me just mention one thing.DirectSound.
Here's the thing - people bitch and complain constantly about how their computer is slow or they're getting malware or new software isn't compatible. Sorry, but when you don't invest anything in improving the experience simply because it's too expensive, you deserve to have problems.I've spent hundreds on peripherals and I upgrade my OS frequently - why? I want a good computing experience and I know how to get it. Why did I spend $1600 on my computer? So it'll be good and upgradable for the next 5 years at least.People do this because they're cheap. Reminds me of this fellow where I work who wanted to return a computer because he didn't know how to set one up and locked himself out by forgetting his password. Tough luck, should have purchased the setup."But it's expensive!"Evidently, now that you're stuck with a $300 laptop you don't know how to reset, it would have been a pretty good bargain.He's lucky my manager is nice and returned it. In the same position, I sure as hell wouldn't have.

ibnmuhammad

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
Although a little late to reply to comments, just thought I'd reply in case anyone checks...

I'm a developer, most devs I work with prefer MacOSX, or Linux (Ubuntu) since the vista fiasco...
but saying that, most machine in the IT dept run Win7.

The skin for XP was rubbish, so I always switch to the classic theme... I actually prefer Windows 2000, but XP added some nice enhancements.

I agree that there are some great features in Win7, such as a lot more detailed feedback in terms of OS performance, netstats, event logs, etc. And of course, the security model whereby everyone is a 'user' rather than an admin.

Otherwise, can anyone tell me why Win7 is superior to XP and why anyone should upgrade (unless they have the newest hardware)?

wcnighthawk

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
Lol, all I hear from XP users is this: I'm too cheap to upgrade and I like to complain when newer stuff doesn't work or when no one makes programs compatible with my OS anymore.I have no sympathy for these types of people. They only hold back progress. Probably the reason why most software still do not have multi-core support. Because of these jagoffs still clinging to their Pentium 3 800Mhz or AMD K-2 processors (not really the reason, but you get the idea).

Status
Not open for further replies.