Question keep getting amdkmdag.sys error & crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Vic

Commendable
Jun 5, 2020
so starting today, i've had this error twice just whilst browsing and got the blue screen and crash. seems like a relatively common issue upon googling but no real solution (as far as i could tell). have tried searching for a driver update but it says i'm up to date there. currently running;
-ryzen 3600
-Radeon RX 570 8GB

any ideas would be highly appreciated. please keep in mind, i'm very new to the computer scene so may need any help to use as simply language as possible. cheers

so starting today, i've had this error twice just whilst browsing and got the blue screen and crash. seems like a relatively common issue upon googling but no real solution (as far as i could tell). have tried searching for a driver update but it says i'm up to date there. currently running;
-ryzen 3600
-Radeon RX 570 8GB

any ideas would be highly appreciated. please keep in mind, i'm very new to the computer scene so may need any help to use as simply language as possible. cheers
DDU your current drivers and reinstall them or roll back to an old update file if this issue was not present on previous drivers.

Sep 8, 2019
I've been having this or a similar issue as of lately. Most often shortly after a cold start up, I'll be browsing chrome and have the screen go black with the cursor remaining. It will flash blacker a few times and sometimes restart. Just recently I was able to catch this code, which lead me here.

I have a 5700xt and just performed a DDU yesterday with no fix. I didn't have this problem with my rx580 when I swapped in March and this problem seemed to crop up more recent than that.

My research has lead me to think it's either windows or AMD software. Perhaps an older version is the way to go. I can also offer this which mentions a similar sounding known driver issue.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/radeon-rx-5700-drivers-black-screen-fix?amp

The Vic

Commendable
Jun 5, 2020
I've been having this or a similar issue as of lately. Most often shortly after a cold start up, I'll be browsing chrome and have the screen go black with the cursor remaining. It will flash blacker a few times and sometimes restart. Just recently I was able to catch this code, which lead me here.

I have a 5700xt and just performed a DDU yesterday with no fix. I didn't have this problem with my rx580 when I swapped in March and this problem seemed to crop up more recent than that.

My research has lead me to think it's either windows or AMD software. Perhaps an older version is the way to go. I can also offer this which mentions a similar sounding known driver issue.

sorry im a complete tech novice, what's a DDU?

yeh my guess is it's a combination of both windows and AMD? dont think it's happening to nvidia gpus with the equivalent error code?

now when u mention black screen, r u referring to the blue screen crash with the error code or where the screen flickers black for a second or two. coz i've been experiencing the latter for a couple months now lol but only on my secondary monitor and thought it was due to my weak GPU. i mentioned in my other thread post;

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/gpu-issue.3615917/

Sep 8, 2019
sorry im a complete tech novice, what's a DDU?

yeh my guess is it's a combination of both windows and AMD? dont think it's happening to nvidia gpus with the equivalent error code?

now when u mention black screen, r u referring to the blue screen crash with the error code or where the screen flickers black for a second or two. coz i've been experiencing the latter for a couple months now lol but only on my secondary monitor and thought it was due to my weak GPU. i mentioned in my other thread post;

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/gpu-issue.3615917/

It most often happens with YouTube, in which the screen will freeze for a second, followed by the audio. Then the screen will go black and flicker between different shades of black. Often the cursor will pop up, do the loading loop and then dissappear, only to reappear.

Sometimes it will recover and sometimes it will restart. Occasionally it will flash the bluescreen with this code but not often.

The Vic

Commendable
Jun 5, 2020

performed a DDU (thx again for the help there) and installed previous Radeon software. still haven't had a crash in about 2-3 days now (touch wood).

Reactions: McSmaggle
Sep 8, 2019
20.4.2. seems like the 20.5.1 'optional' released on 6/10 is the one to avoid

Hmm, interesting, I've been suffering this issue longer than since the 10th. So I might have to try and go back further.

I'm glad that resolved the issue for you though. Hopefully some day AMD will get their software together properly.

Jun 28, 2020
im having the same problem, what version of adrenalin did you revert to? currently i have the latest and it is causing issues. On my exprience, my monitor will turn off for 2 seconds at start up before I can use my computer, also when I access radeon software it will do the same thing turn off my monitor for 2 seconds

mrbear2899

Honorable
May 25, 2017
I have the same issue, I updated to the latest version of Adrenalin, version 20.7.2, and since the version just prior I've been having the Video_TDR_Failure BSOD. Should I just revert? I've used DDU and uninstalled the old drivers, reinstalled the new ones from a fresh download and it's still happening. If I should revert, which version should I revert to?

Status
Not open for further replies.