[SOLVED] Keep GPU plugged in for build or install it after installing drivers?

Jan 3, 2019
So today I made my first ever build and I was ecstatic to see it run when I turned it on. Unfortunately, the monitor wasn't able to pick up a signal. I removed my gpu (RTX 2070) and and now the pc is able to get a signal. The computer is brand new so it doesn't have anything installed (not even windows). Is this only happening because I need to install the OS first then maybe install the software to support the gpu? Or is this because I got a bad gpu? Thanks for any help in advance guys.

Solution
Are you sure you had the cable plugged into the GPU (2070) and not into the Motherboard?
Then when you removed it, it worked because the cable was in the motherboard...?
Jan 3, 2019
Are you sure you had the cable plugged into the GPU (2070) and not into the Motherboard?
Then when you removed it, it worked because the cable was in the motherboard...?

Yup, when I plug it into the gpu it lights up and everything so it has to be properly connected. The only issue is the monitor claims there is no signal when the gpu is in.

My current build is listed here. I don't think the motherboard comes with an integrated gpu but I could be wrong.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/HBbngw

You said when you removed the card the system works with a signal to monitor, which means you have the video cable on the motherboard, otherwise what are you connecting the video cable to? You have the right power cables to the video card? Made sure card is seated properly? Since it's your first time putting together a system, you may want to find a friend/relative that has build a few computers and have them look over the setup.

Reactions: RobCrezz
Jan 3, 2019
You said when you removed the card the system works with a signal to monitor, which means you have the video cable on the motherboard, otherwise what are you connecting the video cable to? You have the right power cables to the video card? Made sure card is seated properly? Since it's your first time putting together a system, you may want to find a friend/relative that has build a few computers and have them look over the setup.

I have lived up to my name. I had the HDMI plugged into the motherboard and didn't realize it had to go directly into the gpu. Thank you for the help!

Reactions: RobCrezz