[SOLVED] Keeping Harddrive with new CPU.

Taketheshot56

Reputable
Dec 20, 2015
Im getting a new CPU and motherboard But i want to keep all my files exactly the same. Is it possible to do this? Will changing a hard drives CPU and MB affect data? Website log ins, passwords?

Solution
Im getting a new CPU and motherboard But i want to keep all my files exactly the same. Is it possible to do this? Will changing a hard drives CPU and MB affect data? Website log ins, passwords?
With a new motherboad (and CPU), a clean install is strongly recommended, often required.

3 basic possibilities:
  1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.

I've seen all 3.
Prepare for the possibility of it not working at all.

And of course, we don't know what you your old and new parts are.
For instance, old Intel to new Ryzen...you absolutely need a clean install.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Is it possible to do this?
Yes, but not recommended.

Will changing a hard drives CPU and MB affect data? Website log ins, passwords?
No. It affects your Windows drivers and registry files.

When doing a major hardware change like that, it's recommended to backup the important files and then reinstall Windows(doing so wipes the entire C drive).

USAFRet

Titan
With a new motherboad (and CPU), a clean install is strongly recommended, often required.

3 basic possibilities:
  1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely

I've seen all 3.

Solution

Taketheshot56

Reputable
Dec 20, 2015

3 basic possibilities:
  1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely
I've seen all 3.

Im moving from my old I5 4460 to an i7 9700K.

Now I have an external Hard drive, is it possible to just keep my Program files/photos folder/Video and just drag and drop it back into the PCs main drive? Are there programs specifclly for Hard drive file transfers If I just get a new storage device?

Now I have an external Hard drive, is it possible to just keep my Program files/photos folder/Video and just drag and drop it back into the PCs main drive? Are there programs specifclly for Hard drive file transfers If I just get a new storage device?
Programs need to be reinstalled as they are connected to the registry. Other files can be copy/pasted to an external USB drive.

USAFRet

Titan

The 'Libraries', sort of.
Do NOT just copy the whole library. Instead, copy the data that lies in them. The Libraries carry the original User permissions. It will be a pain to access that folder from a different account. The files within those Libraries do not carry any permission restrictions.

"program files", No.
When an application is installed, it creates dozens or even thousands of entries in the Registry and elsewhere. That does not exist in a new OS install.
Yes, some few applications can simply be moved. But that is strictly a case by case basis. Much better to assume 'Fail'.

" I5 4460 to an i7 9700K" = assume you will need a clean OS install. And all your applications and drivers.
Just like when your PC was brand new.

The 'Libraries', sort of.
Do NOT just copy the whole library. Instead, copy the data that lies in them. The Libraries carry the original User permissions. It will be a pain to access that folder from a different account. The files within those Libraries do not carry any permission restrictions.

"program files", No.
When an application is installed, it creates dozens or even thousands of entries in the Registry and elsewhere. That does not exist in a new OS install.
Yes, some few applications can simply be moved. But that is strictly a case by case basis. Much better to assume 'Fail'.

" I5 4460 to an i7 9700K" = assume you will need a clean OS install. And all your applications and drivers.
Just like when your PC was brand new.
Sorry to butt in on this, but have a similar question. Can delete comment if overstepping.

Would this include steam libraries and games installed on a d or e drive? Or is this specific to c drive? I'm thinking of going ryzen and reinstalling all my games has me rethinking.

Sorry to butt in on this, but have a similar question. Can delete comment if overstepping.

Would this include steam libraries and games installed on a d or e drive? Or is this specific to c drive? I'm thinking of going ryzen and reinstalling all my games has me rethinking.
Yes, you need to reinstall games because they are also written in the registry just like any program.

USAFRet

Titan

Steam games installed on a different drive are generally no problem.

With the new Steam client you install with the new OS, simply tell that client where those games reside on the other drive.

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

Reactions: Gmoney06ss

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, you need to reinstall games because they are also written in the registry just like any program.
Really? I've never had to do that.
I have Steam.exe and the Library on my G drive. I've reinstalled Windows like a total of 2 times with my current setup - just disconnected my D and G drives before reinstalling.

Afterwards, I can open up Steam just fine; no issues with any games I've played.
I could see having to do so if they were on the C drive though.

Reactions: Gmoney06ss

USAFRet

Titan
Really? I've never had to do that.
I have Steam.exe and the Library on my G drive. I've reinstalled Windows like a total of 2 times with my current setup - just disconnected my D and G drives before reinstalling.

Afterwards, I can open up Steam just fine; no issues with any games I've played.
I could see having to do so if they were on the C drive though.
And in that case, the Steam client is one of those little things that would not need a reinstall.
It already lives on a different drive, and it knows where those games are on that different drive.

The usual condition is that the Steam client lives on the C drive along with everything else. Which will need a reinstall along with everything else.
There, you just have to tell the new Steam client where the games live on the other drive.

toniplavna

Reputable
Dec 4, 2016

Best thing is the fresh install but you can get away without it. If you have few hard drivers, you can only clean install windows on one, rest use as a data drives without any problems.

If you really, really want to do this, here is how I would approach it.

First, image your current drive in its entirety using something like clonezilla and store those drives on an external drive or something. This is for if the next step doesn't work.

Next step, uninstall ALL hardware shown in control panel--everything including motherboard and more. You may have to do this in safe mode. Shutdown.

Install the new hardware and connect the drive. It should boot up a bit confused about the license status of win10 if that was tied to the other motherboard (this can be fixed manually), and if it boots it will start recognizing all the hardware and asking for drivers. Feed it the drivers and you should be relatively good.

If this whole thing doesn't work, restore you entire drive back to where it was working with your old motherboard using the clonezilla backup. You'll then have to try something else.

Sometimes, for example with Windows 7 - the Windows System image Backup and Restore can be used to move off one system and onto the new.
may require re-activation or a repair/restore - but preserve the apps and data.

TRENDING THREADS