Question Kernel Power 41 when IDLE

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmoney517

Reputable
Jun 17, 2020
Hello All - I have read extensively on this forum and others about Kernel Power 41 errors and how to fix them.

I am at the point where I am forced to create another thread, because no one else seems to have my issue with this error.

AMD Ryzen R5 3600
ASRock B450m Pro4
Corsair Vengeance 3200 16gb
Radeon RX 570
WD Blue 250gb SSD 2.5 inch
PSU - Corsair GS800 (only hold over from an old rig, replace a previous dead psu with this one about 2 years ago.
OS - Windows 10 Pro 1909

So I built a new PC, and everything was running fine for about a week and a half, then yesterday, I randomly started getting Kernel Power 41 errors.

No blue screens, no other errors or anything to go off of. No WHEA Logger errors. I never have an issues while the PC is in use. I can game for hours with no crashes or reboots, or even just actively browse the web and all is good. As soon as the system is idle – and I mean truly idle, nothing moving on screen, for 5-30 minutes, it will repeatedly crash and the event viewer logs have the kernel power 41 error.

It is driving me crazy. I have ran every test I can think of, OCCT (all of them for a long time), memtest for hours, and everything is coming back clean.

Literally the only time any issue presents is if I sit and stare and the blank desktop for 10 or so minutes, it just shuts down and reboots.

I doubt anyone has any ideas, because I have searched for hours and every other post I see has some type of issue related to crashes when the PC is in use.

I know its not overheating, I just ran occt for 10 minutes and temps were 90c+ across everything and it was fine. It literally only crashes when idling for an extended period of time. Even leaving the splash page for Steam, or Warzone, or OCCT or Ryzen master open keeps it up. But if I close those windows, and have only folder explorer open on screen, it will crash. Nothing is OCed. BIOS are on latest version and everything is default.

The only thing I can think of is an issue with my PSU (Corsair GS800) but it is only 2 years old, and when doing a PSU capacity check for my components it is coming out to ~450w, so my 800w PSU is plenty. And the OCCT PSU test was fine. I have pulled and remounted everything (except the cpu). But again, because it only ever happens in a idle state, I just don’t know what it could be.

This was as much of a venting session for me, so I don’t really expect any replies or help, but if anyone has any thoughts, I would really appreciate it.

Last edited:

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
This will sound silly. Grabbing for straws.

What power plan are you on? Have you tried to go in and change the power state of anything within Windows?
How long is set to sleep/turn off screen/etc.

Side note. If you purposefully put your system to sleep does it do so and wake properly?

edit to add - 90C seems hot to me. It's not uncommon for programs to improperly reflect temps with Ryzen...however, that shouldn't matter in idle state.

dmoney517

Reputable
Jun 17, 2020
@Flayed - What makes you think I need to RMA the CPU? Its only 2 weeks old (i know that it could still have an issue). I'm not arguing that could be it, but none of the test tools show any errors. I am also confused because of how everything works when under load, the crashes when IDLE.

@Punkcat - Funny you mention that. I have played with it a bit in the last few days, but mainly making sure fast boot was off, etc. I also always set my timeouts to never sleep and screens off after 5 minutes.

Edit- the 90 degree temps were when I was running stress tests with OCCT.
Idle Temps are in the 40s.

I just now (literally 20 min ago) changed the plan from the stock Balance to the stock High Performance, and changed display to shut off after 2 minutes (trying to see if the screens blacking out caused any issue, grasping at straws as well!).

I then did some work (different PC) and let it IDLE for about 20 minutes, and it never crashed. My Event log has the kernel errors last night ranging from 5 minutes to 40 minutes apart from when I went to sleep at 12 to when I woke up at 7. So if I would have left it longer, maybe it would have crashed. Going to try to leave it a bit longer in IDLE today when I have a meeting to see if it still stays on. Have not tried to put it into sleep yet. Will try that as well.

UPDATE - Just put it to sleep, and it woke with 0 issues.

Thank you both for the replies!

Last edited:

dmoney517

Reputable
Jun 17, 2020
Update - I changed the power profile to High Performance, and left it idle and it went over an hour before a crash/reboot and kernel power 41. After that, I decided to continue tweaking the power profile, and created a custom profile based off high performance with some small adjustments, and it has not crashed since, including all night last night. Not sure I have it fixed, or even what the root cause was, considering i made a few changes in the power profile, but it looks to be resolved for now. I hope!

Thank your all for the input!

Jul 3, 2020
Update - I changed the power profile to High Performance, and left it idle and it went over an hour before a crash/reboot and kernel power 41. After that, I decided to continue tweaking the power profile, and created a custom profile based off high performance with some small adjustments, and it has not crashed since, including all night last night. Not sure I have it fixed, or even what the root cause was, considering i made a few changes in the power profile, but it looks to be resolved for now. I hope!

Thank your all for the input!
PLEASE SHARE YOUR POWER PROFILE !! Im having the same issue

Status
Not open for further replies.