[SOLVED] Key chattering / Keys type twice. Software related issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

doom78

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
Heya all !

I've had this issue for a while now, that when i type on my keyboard, some keys will type twice. So for exemple when i press n once, it will write nn.
It only happens on 1 or 2 letters, seemingly randomly. It does not happen every time i stroke said key.
I used a Logitech G910 and since a week I am using my new Corsair K70 RGB MK2.

The problem is not hardware related because it remains whatever keyboard is use (and one is brand new) keyboards, and on all my USB ports (back and front).
Also i've tested in safe boot mode, and the problem did not occure then.

All my drivers are up to date, and my harddrives are not failing.

Last weekend I freshly installed windows 10 again, to try and fix this issue. It did not work...
I am on Windows 10 Home edition.

Any ideas what could be the culprid ? Any help appreciated ! Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Solution
If it doesn't happen in safe mode, then the problem is either a driver or 3rd party software that you are installing. In safe mode, only the most basic drivers are loaded (which is why your screen often uses a lower resolution). In safe mode, no 3rd party software is loaded.

To see if the problem is 3rd party software, you should consider trying a clean boot. A clean boot is basically just Windows itself without 3rd party software (3rd party drivers are still loaded). For a clean boot, you disable 3rd party software on startup and services. Be careful, do not disable any Microsoft software. More info about how to do a clean boot can be found here...

AshMetalRaf

Reputable
Sep 19, 2018
Hello!

Try the keyboard on different machine, if it doesn't work then the keyboard might be the culprit, if it works, follow these methods:

1. Use USB 2.0 port instead of USB 3.0
  2. Uninstall keyboard driver, Device manager, find Human Interface Devices, expand the list and find USB Input Devices and uninstall all of them while the keyboard still plugged in. Turn off your computer, unplug the keyboard and restart the PC. once system is fully booted into operation system, plug in the keyboard and wait for it to auto install.
  3. Shutdown your PC, unplug the Power Cable and unhook all USB cable, after that, hook up the keyboard and the Power Supply only. then turn on the PC.

See if that works

Ash

doom78

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
Hey Ash and Captaincharisma

No, as I wrote in my post, I don't suspect a problem with the keyboard, since i've tried 2 different keyboards and had the same problem on both.
Hence my suspicion that a software is messing stuff up. The fact that my problem disappears when i run safe mode is also undermining this.

Ash : i tried all 3 of your methods, problem still remains.... but thanks a lot for your input :)

AshMetalRaf

Reputable
Sep 19, 2018
Odd...I would've assumed the registry is corrupted but since you did fresh install and problem persists it really indicates of faulty Hardware. that's the only explanation i can think of.

That's a bummer...Sorry i couldn't be much more of a help. Maybe someone more experienced than me can resolve this hopefully :)

doom78

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
Odd...I would've assumed the registry is corrupted but since you did fresh install and problem persists it really indicates of faulty Hardware. that's the only explanation i can think of.

That's a bummer...Sorry i couldn't be much more of a help. Maybe someone more experienced than me can resolve this hopefully :)

Thanks a lot for your help tho, it's really wierd indeed I tried all i could find before even posting here. It does look like a hardware problem, but it can't be. Have a nice one !

gardenman

Splendid
If it doesn't happen in safe mode, then the problem is either a driver or 3rd party software that you are installing. In safe mode, only the most basic drivers are loaded (which is why your screen often uses a lower resolution). In safe mode, no 3rd party software is loaded.

To see if the problem is 3rd party software, you should consider trying a clean boot. A clean boot is basically just Windows itself without 3rd party software (3rd party drivers are still loaded). For a clean boot, you disable 3rd party software on startup and services. Be careful, do not disable any Microsoft software. More info about how to do a clean boot can be found here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows Read the instructions carefully and be sure to check the box to "Hide all Microsoft Services" in System Config (msconfig.exe).

If the problem goes away while in clean boot, then it was one of the programs that you disabled that is causing the problem. Re-enable them a few at a time until you discover the problem application.

If the problem persists in clean boot, then the problem is a driver (since the drivers are not loaded in safe mode, but they are in clean boot). It could be a keyboard driver or some type of security driver (anti-virus, anti-keylogger, etc).

Solution

doom78

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011

To see if the problem is 3rd party software, you should consider trying a clean boot. A clean boot is basically just Windows itself without 3rd party software (3rd party drivers are still loaded). For a clean boot, you disable 3rd party software on startup and services. Be careful, do not disable any Microsoft software. More info about how to do a clean boot can be found here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows Read the instructions carefully and be sure to check the box to "Hide all Microsoft Services" in System Config (msconfig.exe).

If the problem goes away while in clean boot, then it was one of the programs that you disabled that is causing the problem. Re-enable them a few at a time until you discover the problem application.

If the problem persists in clean boot, then the problem is a driver (since the drivers are not loaded in safe mode, but they are in clean boot). It could be a keyboard driver or some type of security driver (anti-virus, anti-keylogger, etc).

Thanks a lot for this, i will try that out as soon as i can and report back !

Lord_Lumirel

Reputable
Nov 23, 2016
Heya all !

I've had this issue for a while now, that when i type on my keyboard, some keys will type twice. So for exemple when i press n once, it will write nn.
It only happens on 1 or 2 letters, seemingly randomly. It does not happen every time i stroke said key.
I used a Logitech G910 and since a week I am using my new Corsair K70 RGB MK2.

The problem is not hardware related because it remains whatever keyboard is use (and one is brand new) keyboards, and on all my USB ports (back and front).
Also i've tested in safe boot mode, and the problem did not occure then.

All my drivers are up to date, and my harddrives are not failing.

Last weekend I freshly installed windows 10 again, to try and fix this issue. It did not work...
I am on Windows 10 Home edition.

Any ideas what could be the culprid ? Any help appreciated ! Thanks in advance

For me it was GOG Galaxy 2.0 which was causing the chattering. After turning off the application keyboard started to write fine..

Status
Not open for further replies.