Question Keyboard loosing connection on reboot/restart

PanteraGuk

Prominent
Feb 26, 2019
First time poster here. I usually don't post because with enough research and poking around I can find the answer. This time I'm stumped and the answer eludes me.

Situation:
I have a Cougar 700K keyboard I've used for about 2 years. In that time I've used it on 2 systems. My current system has an Asus Z370-E mobo and been using that keyboard on that mobo for a year. Recently I changed cases and added some new fans, GPU and an m.2. Since then my Cougar keyboard has been acting up something fierce.

Initial issue.
  1. When the computer is off and turned on or was rebooted the keyboard (and only the keyboard) comes up as "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)"
  2. Unplugging the usb and reconnecting it after the computer is fully booted resolves the issue every time.

So the keyboard works just is not recognized on startup. Also it works on 2nd PC with out any issues.

Things I've tried that I've found in my research.
  1. Tested on 2nd computer. Works.
  2. Disconnect USB and reconnect after fully booted. Works. (I did this every time before rebooting to make sure it was working before doing so)
  3. Turned of fastboot in windows and in Asus bios. Not recognized on startup.
  4. Removed power plug 10 min and reconnected. After this I tested a few reboots and it worked. Tested powering down for 5-10 min and back on. Not recognized on startup after 2nd attempt. (best success so far)
  5. Flashed Bios. Not recognized on startup.
  6. Flashed prior Bios version. Same.
  7. Tried all available USB connectors. Same.
  8. Went to windows power options and disabled USB Selective suspend setting. same.

What am I missing? The thing works and has worked. Its just not working after I put it all in a new case. All other usb devices work (POS HP keyboard , Audio interface, corsair node pro, corsair mouse, headset....) with out any problems.

Please help.

Ralston18

Titan
If I am following correctly, the keyboard does work on the "new case computer" once things have warmed up some - is that correct?

Wondering if the new case is causing some short or disconnect within the keyboard's USB plug just by some subtle pressure or twisting. Especially after warming up and expanding somewhere.

Try using a USB extension cable between keyboard USB plug and the computer's USB ports. Just to alter the "fit and feel" of the plug.

Determine if the above 8 tests remain the same or change results.

PanteraGuk

Prominent
Feb 26, 2019
If I am following correctly, the keyboard does work on the "new case computer" once things have warmed up some - is that correct?

Wondering if the new case is causing some short or disconnect within the keyboard's USB plug just by some subtle pressure or twisting. Especially after warming up and expanding somewhere.

Try using a USB extension cable between keyboard USB plug and the computer's USB ports. Just to alter the "fit and feel" of the plug.

Determine if the above 8 tests remain the same or change results.

The keyboard works on the PC in the new case after windows is loaded and only if you plug the keyboard in after it’s loaded. If you boot the PC up with the keyboard usb in it’ll register as unknown usb device.

Don’t have an extension but I have a hub I can try after work.

Also is it possible another new connecter like the lighting node pro or front panel mobo usb connectors can cause an issue with a single usb device if there’s a short?

Last edited:
You have tried ALL usb slots on your computer? It doesn't have to go in the top ones.
Download and use this and delete it from your computer USB list - https://usbdeview.en.softonic.com/?ex=DSK-1218.4
I have had similar problems, and when you delete it from the driver list it may come back properly.
I've also got problems where a USB keyboard is not recognised while being in boot up, so you can't get into the BIOS. But works after windows starts.

In fact after just using Firmware update on my Corsair Keyboard, I now cannot get into BIOS without using my old PS/2 keyboard plugged in as well. :(

PanteraGuk

Prominent
Feb 26, 2019
You have tried ALL usb slots on your computer? It doesn't have to go in the top ones.
Download and use this and delete it from your computer USB list - https://usbdeview.en.softonic.com/?ex=DSK-1218.4
I have had similar problems, and when you delete it from the driver list it may come back properly.
I've also got problems where a USB keyboard is not recognised while being in boot up, so you can't get into the BIOS. But works after windows starts.

In fact after just using Firmware update on my Corsair Keyboard, I now cannot get into BIOS without using my old PS/2 keyboard plugged in as well. :(

Yup, 2 on front panel. 5 on rear I/O. 2.0, 3.0 and 3.1.

Already have that software. I guess I should of added that in my “what I’ve tried section”. Deleted it and readded. Same issue. So does yours work if you unplug an replug the Usb after full boot when you’re at the windows desktop? I have the same problem that I can’t use the Cougar to get into bios or enter my windows 10 pin. However it’s funny in the bios it says I have 2 keyboards connected. Maybe I’ll post this in the Asus forums too.

PanteraGuk

Prominent
Feb 26, 2019
Also do take a close look at, in, and around all of the USB ports - look for debris, signs of damage, or looseness.

Bright flashlight and magnifying glass recommended.

Be sure to power off and unplug if you open the case.

Nothing there. All the ports work with my mouse and backup keyboard which both work in the bios.