Question Keyboard problem: adjacent key sometimes gets pressed as well ?

EvilHamster

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2012
Hi all,

I have bought a used Laptop, which is working very lovely. However, it has a small problem. Whenever I press the "right arrow" key, there is a chance that the key above it, being "page down" will also get pressed. No, I do not touch it with my finger. Its just, if I press "hard", somehow the other key gets pressed as well.

The laptop is a ThinkPad X1 Carbon, gen 7. In case there is a "widespread" problem with this particular keyboard that someone knows about ?

My questions are these:
  1. Can anyone guess why it happens?
  2. Is there anything I can do to fix it other than replacing the keyboard?
Cheers.

laptop is a ThinkPad X1 Carbon, gen 7. In case there is a "widespread" problem
have you checked Lenovo support forums?
if this is widespread problem there will be many posts and possibly a stickied thread.

1. Can anyone guess why it happens?
  2. Is there anything I can do to fix it other than replacing the keyboard?
1. because it is poorly designed?
2. have you even contacted Lenovo customer support directly?

EvilHamster

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2012
It is a 3+ year old laptop and out of warranty. Also, I have bought it used and do not have the warrenty, even if it still had it. Hence, no. I have not contacted their support.

The question is more about what could cause it. Faulty Cip? Bad connector? Physical pressure because of keys being too close (if this is the issue, I feel like there would be many reports. But I have not found any), dirt or something else "stuck" (I was not able to find anything).

Has anyone experience such a thing on any laptop and was able to fix it? <-- This is kinda my question.

It is a 3+ year old laptop and out of warranty. Also, I have bought it used and do not have the warrenty, even if it still had it. Hence, no. I have not contacted their support.
you don't have to have an active warranty to request manufacturer support.
you would be just explaining to them the situation and seeing if it is a known issue or if there may be an easy way to go about fixing it.

same with their support forums.
these are not restricted to certified warranty claims.
they are open to the public just like Tom's and if others have suffered a similar issue it would likely be discussed there previously.

Reactions: EvilHamster

EvilHamster

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2012
you don't have to have an active warranty to request manufacturer support.
you would be just explaining to them the situation and seeing if it is a known issue or if there may be an easy way to go about fixing it.

same with their support forums.
these are not restricted to certified warranty claims.
they are open to the public just like Tom's and if others have suffered a similar issue it would likely be discussed there previously.
Fair enough, I will give them a try. Cheers.

(If anyone here has any ideas as well, I will occasionally check by, too. :) )

Aug 23, 2023
If you press the right arrow key on a laptop, the page down key above it might also get pressed. This can happen if you press the key hard.

If the bottom part of the key pops out when you press the top part, the key might be broken. You can try reattaching the key, but if that doesn't work, you should contact the manufacturer.

EvilHamster

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2012
If you press the right arrow key on a laptop, the page down key above it might also get pressed. This can happen if you press the key hard.

If the bottom part of the key pops out when you press the top part, the key might be broken. You can try reattaching the key, but if that doesn't work, you should contact the manufacturer.
No, nothing pops out. There also seems no physical defect, just the wrong thing happening. I never encountered it in all the keyboards I have used. So guess it is not too common... but I do not know how to fix it, if it is even possible without just chaning the whole keyboard.

TRENDING THREADS