Question Keyboard shortcut ruining fullscreen gaming

Bowktom

Reputable
Apr 30, 2015
Sticky keys is disabled.

Ok so i'll be happily playing a fullscreen game, then I must be activating some sort of "sticky keys" like function by press a key on my keyboard, permanently acting like the windows function. What then happens is I will press a single key, for example "R" and it will show up the windows run box (as if the windows key is being pressed, even though it's not). Even when I tab back to my full screen game, the issue still persists. The only way I have found to stop it is to reboot my PC.

That's the best way I can describe it, does anyone know what might be causing this?

Thanks for any support.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I am almost willing to lay money that if you go to Settings, Ease of Access, Keyboard Pane, Use Sticky Keys section that you will have the checkbox for Allow the shortcut key to start Sticky Keys checked. When this is checked, hitting the Shift key 5 times in rapid succession enables Sticky Keys. Since the operating system (Windows in this case) always gets "first shot" at key presses if you are using Shift for anything in a game that requires rapid successive presses, Windows will interpret the first 5 of those in a row that happen quickly as its cue to turn on Sticky Keys.

If the above is not the case, then try the following, in order:

1. Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10

2. Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

Bowktom

Reputable
Apr 30, 2015
Hi,

Thank you for your detailed response. I have just checked this and unfortunately that is not the case. I can see why you would think that because the symptoms are very similar to sticky keys. However I just tested turning sticky keys on and it is not the same i'm afraid. As for your other suggestions, do you really think that this is an issue that requires a windows repair?

Thanks.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Given the ease of using SFC & DISM, and doing Windows 10 Repair Installs, I do not hesitate to do either.

Compared to trying to repair any Windows version prior, repairing Win10 is a cinch!

When I start getting "inexplicable" behaviors such as you describe or when standard Windows keyboard shortcuts either don't do what they should or do something other than they should my "usual fixes" are the two things I specified previously, in that order.