Question Keyboard Suggestions needed

Compused

Commendable
Mar 31, 2021
Hi,

I've been looking at keyboard reviews and information for months now, and I could use some suggestions. I'm in canada.
I was torn between the Keychron K8 Pro, and the Epomaker TH80 (pro, or not) or even the CIDOO AMB084.

I don't wanna spend more than $200 cad. The Keychron K8 Pro would be upwards of $160-200 cad.

Are these keyboards worth the price? I'd rather spend $200 on a quality piece of hardware, than $170 on something lesser quality or questionable, just for the $30 savings. I know there are fully "custom" keyboard kits/brands out there that might(?) not cost much more than this price range..? So I'm not sure what a good value is. I just thought that spending upwards of $200 on a logitech or a magic keyboard probably wasn't the best option.

Thank you.

EDIT:

I'm looking for something in the 75-80% keyboard format. I'd like wireless (not just bluetooth) if possible, with wired connection option. I'd prefer a volume knob, if possible. Hot swappable switches. Backlit keys (rgb preferable, just for options).

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Since choosing a KB is personal choice, no-one can tell you which one to go for. All we can do, is suggest KB based on our own, personal needs. Often these doesn't align or even match yours.

For example:
I'm currently using Corsair Strafe RGB KB with Cherry MX Silent switches,
specs: https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/Categories/Products/Gaming-Keyboards/Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboards/STRAFE-RGB-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard-—-CHERRY®-MX-Silent/p/CH-9000121-NA

Sure, it costs premium, but with high price, there also comes great build quality, reliability and option to choose (prior purchase) which Cherry MX keys to use. I picked Cherry MX Silent, which are identical to Cherry MX Red, with a difference that each key press is far more silent (up to 78% more silent). Otherwise, it's linear with 45g actuation force. My KB also has N-key rollover (no ghosting), 1000 Hz polling rate, addressable RGB (can customize individual key lighting) and decent software (iCUE), in which i can make custom macros and key presets.

So, this is my personal preference. Another person who might come along may have different personal preference. In the end, none of us is going to use that KB, other than yourself. With this, it would be best if you make up your own mind. :)

In a similar sense, asking for opinions for KB is like asking opinions for shoes. Sure, i can give you my experience with brand X since i have it and i also love it, because it is nigh-perfect FOR ME. Let's say you end up buying those shoes that i like, but when you try them on, you find the shoes pinching on the sides and/or you feel uncomfortable when walking in them. Leaving you unsatisfied with the product. Same is with KB.

Unless you 1st try the shoes on, or try the feel of the KB, you have 0 idea how good of a fit it would be for you.

Compused

Commendable
Mar 31, 2021
Since choosing a KB is personal choice, no-one can tell you which one to go for. All we can do, is suggest KB based on our own, personal needs. Often these doesn't align or even match yours.

For example:
I'm currently using Corsair Strafe RGB KB with Cherry MX Silent switches,
specs: https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/Categories/Products/Gaming-Keyboards/Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboards/STRAFE-RGB-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard-—-CHERRY®-MX-Silent/p/CH-9000121-NA

Sure, it costs premium, but with high price, there also comes great build quality, reliability and option to choose (prior purchase) which Cherry MX keys to use. I picked Cherry MX Silent, which are identical to Cherry MX Red, with a difference that each key press is far more silent (up to 78% more silent). Otherwise, it's linear with 45g actuation force. My KB also has N-key rollover (no ghosting), 1000 Hz polling rate, addressable RGB (can customize individual key lighting) and decent software (iCUE), in which i can make custom macros and key presets.

So, this is my personal preference. Another person who might come along may have different personal preference. In the end, none of us is going to use that KB, other than yourself. With this, it would be best if you make up your own mind. :)

In a similar sense, asking for opinions for KB is like asking opinions for shoes. Sure, i can give you my experience with brand X since i have it and i also love it, because it is nigh-perfect FOR ME. Let's say you end up buying those shoes that i like, but when you try them on, you find the shoes pinching on the sides and/or you feel uncomfortable when walking in them. Leaving you unsatisfied with the product. Same is with KB.

Unless you 1st try the shoes on, or try the feel of the KB, you have 0 idea how good of a fit it would be for you.
I guess I'm asking about the more objective differences in the potential brands, like build quality. And experience, good or bad, with brands products and customer service. As well as "don't buy this brand" type warnings.
Thank you.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I haven't heard none of the brands you listed. What i do know to be good, regarding KBs, are: Corsair and Logitech. But brand to avoid is Razer (plagued by software issues and hardware reliability).

Customer service wise, Corsair is top-notch, on par with NZXT and Seasonic. Don't know about others since i haven't had a need to contact customer service of other brand hardware that i use (including: Intel, MSI, Kingston, Samsung, CableMod).

As of objective differences go, these kind of "best of" lists are quite good source of information, since KBs are tested by single person, who can tell a difference between different KBs,
link: https://www.rtings.com/keyboard/reviews/best/by-type/wireless

Reactions: Compused

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
My wife uses a Logitech G110 that she's had for better part of 10 years now and it still types as new. She uses it 5-7 days a week, anywhere from 10-16Hrs a day. She's at 130-140 wpm.

Of course most don't "make'm like they used to"

As @Aeacus said, keyboards are highly personal items, if they keys don't punch comfortable to you, if they key size isn't comfortable to you, if the key spacing isn't comfortable to you, you could own the best and most expensive keyboard in the world and be absolutely miserable.

My advice, go places that sell keyboards, anywhere and everywhere, and punch some keys for a minute. Figure out what keyboards have the right fit and feel to your hands, then figure out mechanical switch types or if just happy with standard or hybrid designs.

Forget about brand, rgb, macro keys, audio and/or media keys, those are all just gimmicks, icing on the cake. The bad guys you shoot online don't care a bit about your gimmicks or lack of because of a fancy keyboard, but the Mrs will care about listening to 'clack' away for hours, you'll care when fingers and wrists get sore after just an hour of gaming, and you'll definitely care (as will team mates) when you constantly miss-key and lob a grenade instead of a flare because the keys are too small and/or not spaced for your fingers.

Nephern

Prominent
Sep 20, 2022
I reccomend the Anne pro 2, at an affordable price its great performance and user friendly software is a big bonus, ive had mine for about 2 years now and no complaints, switches sound great and feel great, are prelubed (not the bad lube like actually lubed) and the stabs feel great, i type at about 80 wpm and my friend types at about 170wpm and it sounds great either way, whether youre a heavy typer or a light typer i recomend this keyboard.

D

Deleted member 14196

I love my cheap Rosewill (Wifftech Chinese) mechanical kb. Why waste tons of money on something you’re just typing on? It’s keyboards only about 80$bucks and works great with fantastic build quality

As posted above this doesn’t mean anything because you might hate it. It’s very subjective thing. myself I just can’t see paying $200 for a keyboard.