Question Keys don't work sometimes (Bios issues?) HP Elitebook 830 G7

Aug 18, 2024
I bought a used HP Elitebook 830 G7 in super nice condition. The only thing is that the bios is password locked. I am not sure if this important in trouble shooting but I thought I'd tell you.
Anyway. Sometimes some keys on the keyboard stops working. If I unplug the CMOS battery and the laptop battery (and plug them back in again) the keys will work again. But only for a while. Any ideas? I have reinstalled keyboard drivers and even updated from WIn 10 to Win 11. I swapped the NVME drive but no luck.

Any smart ideas out there?

Thanks!
Jay

I bought a used HP Elitebook 830 G7 in super nice condition. The only thing is that the bios is password locked. I am not sure if this important in trouble shooting but I thought I'd tell you.
Anyway. Sometimes some keys on the keyboard stops working. If I unplug the CMOS battery and the laptop battery (and plug them back in again) the keys will work again. But only for a while. Any ideas? I have reinstalled keyboard drivers and even updated from WIn 10 to Win 11. I swapped the NVME drive but no luck.

Any smart ideas out there?

Thanks!
Jay
Hey there,

Well, this can sometimes be the issue with buying second hand laptops. You just don't know for sure what damages there are.

Have you spoken with the seller? Maybe tell them the keyboard doesn't work properly, but more importantly ask them for the bios password. If they cannot provide that, then you need to return it if possible. Was this purchased on Ebay or Amazon?

Aug 18, 2024
You are quite correct. You never know. And I knew I was taking a risk. :)
I bought it on a Swedish auction site specializing in selling off big lots of business stuff so I can't talk to the original owner and the auction site can't help me.