Question Several issues with monitor AFTER it was repaired ?

p3ep90

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2014
Hello

I own an Acer Nitro 24-inch 1080p 165hz IPS monitor.

Last month there was a power fluctuation, nothing instantaneous happened and the monitor worked as it should after the incident; but after 3 or 4 days the monitor wouldn't turn on at all, there was no display, the power button did nothing, no lights of any sort, it was just dead.

I took it to a local repair guy, he checked it and claimed the power circuit was burned, he allegedly replaced it (or some components?) but the backlight wouldnt turn on, he then took 4-5 days and called me that he had to replace the backlight and now its fine and i can pick it up (charged me around 35$) . I collected it after initial checking, the menu joystick on the back wouldn't work 9/10 times and when it did it only worked in a single direction, one other menu button wouldn't work but power button was working, I downloaded a utility called 'ControlMyMonitor' to change monitor settings. The backlight was way too bright, even hurting my eyes in a few seconds if the background page was white. The brightness wouldn't reduce at all, even after changing the setting to 0% (it also showed 0% brightness on the monitor Menu but wouldnt have any effect), the backlight ALWAYS stays on, when monitor is standby or even when the monitor power button it turned off (only way to turn off the backlight is to disconnect the monitor from wall outlet). I turned on the night mode and some color/contrast settings via the utility to make it manageable. Also the monitor screen is WARM to touch, which it never was before the repair. Also before the repair the monitor would NEVER show the green colored 'ACER' logo at start but now it does. Also there is a lot of backlight bleed. Don't expect honest answers related to the repair as the guy who did them is a crafty fellow.

It worked like that for nearly a month, now suddenly there were vertical lines and screen blurred way bad that its unsuable, can't see anything. The lines resolve themselves when i turn the monitor power button off and turn it on again and then it repeats after working for sometime. I live about 200 miles from nearest official Acer service center and looking for advice what could be the problem and is this repeairable at a reasonable price? I have already ordered another monitor (viewsonic this time) since I can't afford the downtime.

Ralston18

Titan
The logo showing may indicate some factory reset. I.e., the monitor is back to its' factory settings.

One of those options may be the ability to enable or disable display of the Asus logo. Likely a bit "hidden"....

Overall though the repair guy (giving him the benefit of the doubt) probably did the best he could with the monitor. Very few products are made to be repairable.....

And, indeed, the power flucuation may have set up some sort of domino effect. A gets fixed and B fails. B gets fixed and C fails. Etc. etc..

The cost of repairs, labor & parts, shipping likely to add up very quickly. May need to wait a while as well.

Look for a new monitor will a full warranty. Repair warranties of any sort are going to be very limited.

If you need to work - check your televisions. Some televisions can be used as a monitor.

Failing that hopefully borrow an interim monitor from family or friends.