Khronos Group to Start Working on a Unified Redesign of OpenGL for PC and Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kewlx25

Distinguished
Only a few years ago the Khronos group said they had no plans to make a lower level API to compete with what AMD was working on, because they saw no practical use for it... lawlawlawlawl.... Now they're afraid of becoming irrelevant.

Great looking ahead, Khronos.

rokit

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
Yes! They have OpenGL 4.5 that addresses today needs but it would be harder and harder to add new features to it. Its a smart decision and about time.
AMD has lost the moment they didn't open their solution for so long and made it Windows-only avaliable. But they made a kick to the industry and for that thanks.

kungpaoshizi

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
They (anyone) has said this multiple times. And in all the history of OpenGL, nobody wants to work with it because it doesn't make money.

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

Granted I just browse tech sites but this is the first I've heard it. Typically theres debate about the viability of OpenGLs future usefulness for the very reason they are starting from scratch again. So...from what I gather, problem potentially solved.

rokit

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
http://techreport.com/news/26922/amd-hopes-to-put-a-little-mantle-in-opengl-next
It seems everything new (DX12,OGL NG) is connected to Mantle. I guess AMD didn't lost then. They already have realisation of everything thats needed and even if some differences will occur they won't be significant enough to write tons of new code.
Nvidia however didn't want to support Mantle but have no choice but do it through support of DX12 and OGL NG, oh irony)

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

Yeah AMD did pretty well, IMO. Although Mantle won't be fully integrated, it'll help them tremendously with gettin themselves situatied in the OpenGL NG.

Status
Not open for further replies.